“Things have changed going downhill”
Review of Mas Tapas

Mas Tapas
Ranked #70 of 566 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I used to like Mas but after last night things are slipping. The food was ok, nothing special. I had mussels, the rabbit, the Lebanese salad -the tomatoes and cucumber seemed old and sardines which tasted funky. I love sardines but these were a little strange. Perhaps the worst aspect was the wine. I ordered a bottle and was given a different year. I was then told they had run out of that vintage and that the one they had was better. A quick check on the web suggested otherwise and indeed it was noticeable rated lower. For Mas though it was the same price and very little suggestion that they even cared about the difference. I tried for another 5 wines all of which unavailable but a newer vintage being offered.
So the wine list is out of date but what I object to is being given a bottle I didn't order without any explanation and then to be told it is superior when obviously not. It left me wondering if this is a policy of the restaurant as a whole. Is it fresh caught fish? Is it organic meat? or does it just come from the local supermarket? I won't be going back and I will suggest any who does reads the wine label before they drink it and checks they are being given the correct year.

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Went to Mas Tapas for date night. Got seated quickly, cocktails were great, food came out quickly and was absolutely delicious. However, it took us 15 minutes to get our water refilled. We weren't even sure who our server was for a while. Our server probably could've gotten us to order another round of drinks and/or dessert, but once she finally showed up we were ready to get the bill and go. I would definitely go again just because of the food, and I would cross my fingers that we get better service.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Nestled in an eclectic neighborhood, below an Ashtanga Yoga studio, we discovered Mas Tapas after a day at Monticello. I've experienced tapas restaurants to be marginal at best, and decided to give Mas a try. Oh the choices! Oh the sizes! Perfect and perfect! Oh the savory sweetness in an eccentric atmosphere. Exceptional to say the least. We arrived as they opened for the evening on June 27, 2014. By the time we departed, there was a crowd. Popular local place? I think so! The menu changes daily, with a few staples a constant. Get there early, and hope the bacon wrapped dates are on the menu--these are uber delicious!
Parking is limited to a few spots behind the restaurant and on the street.

1  Thank Jenn B
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We tend to go here every time we visit Charlottesville. Great food and experience. While the atmosphere is a bit spare, they don't stint on the food which is flavorful and unique. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We were in Charlottesville on vacation to see Monticello. Selected Mas Tapas from Trip Advisor reviews and a desire for Tapas and Spanish food. We were not disappointed. We sat at the bar, which is excellent for eating. All the dishes were fantastic, particularly the shrimp, which were huge and served in aioli sauce. The marinated anchovies were very good too. The wine the server recommended was a very good and reasonably priced Spanish red. Wish the restaurant was in Charlotte, NC where we live. A must restaurant to go to in Charlottesville.

1  Thank rfenton231