“Perfect Romantic Oasis!!”
Review of Clifton Inn

Clifton Inn
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed 18 July 2013

My husband and I decided to plan a little day trip to enjoy the Virginia wine country while visiting my parents in Ashland. After reading many reviews and searching other properties we settled on the Clifton for our one night stay. The inn is absolutely beautiful, peaceful, conveniently located, and the staff is wonderful. From the time I was greeted over the phone while making my reservation, to the moment I left, I was treated with kindness and professionalism. The staff was welcoming and eager to assist with recommendations for local points of interest and restaurants. We stayed in the Merriwether Suite which was adorable, very private, and complete with an antique clawfoot tub!! Make sure not to miss the afternoon tea which we enjoyed on the back porch despite the heat! The baked goods are to die for!! We are already looking forward to another visit!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mamabee222
___027, General Manager at Clifton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review on us Tripadvisor.

We honestly do appreciate all feedback, it sounds like really old world weary cliché, but here we do act on feedback.

So to receive a review like yours is pleasant reading, it shows that we are going in the right direction and it also matches what we hear from our other guests. I will certainly be sharing this with our team here !

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Clifton Inn in the near future.

All the best,

Niall Reid

Reviewed 18 July 2013

There are not enough words to express what a magical wedding weekend we had at the Clifton Inn from June 28, 2013 through June 30, 2013. We chose this location because of their experience in hosting so many weddings... and they did not disappoint. Our families and friends raved about the location, the accommodations, the food and the employees. We worked with Kaitlyn Hoy throughout the entire process and she became more of a friend than a wedding director to both of us. Kaitlyn is always available, always responds and tries to accommodate every bride's needs. We can not thank Kaitlyn enough for all of her help and guidance especially during the actual weekend. If you are looking for a location that meets all of your needs, including activities for the kids, Clifton Inn can not be beat!!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Marni R
Reviewed 7 July 2013

My husband and I recently stayed two nights at the Clifton Inn while visiting the Charlottesville area. The location is great as the inn is close to Monticello and a few minutes from Charlottesville. The grounds are lovely. We enjoyed the afternoon tea and ate at the restaurant for dinner one evening. The meal was excellent and the service outstanding. Since we were celebrating our anniversary, we were offered free glasses of champagne. A continental breakfast is included with the room but the inn also has extra items which can be ordered for more hearty appetites. Every staff member seemed truly interested in providing excellent service.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 613Traveler613
Reviewed 22 June 2013

My husband and I recently traveled to the Clifton Inn for a getaway weekend before the birth of our first child and I couldn't have imaged a more perfect place to spend a couple of days in complete relaxation. First of all the service was outstanding and extremely pleasant without being intrusive. They made us feel like their sole purpose was to make sure we had everything we needed to enjoy our stay...and that we did! We have stayed at many nice Inns and B&B's, but the incredibly attenentive staff really made this experience stand out.
Having dinner at the Clifton is an absolute must! We had heard great things about the head chef and our meals certainly did not disappoint. In fact, we both agree that this was one of the most brilliant meals we have ever had. My husband and I are quite adventurous eaters so we each ordered the 5 course tastings, each with different items so we could taste everything. Wow...words fail me in describing the perfect balance balance of tastes, textures, presentation, and service of every dish we had. Every taste was so complex and full of flavor, yet every single item had a purpose on the plate. Oh, and do not skip the dessert. We typically find that restaurants like this are so focused on the meal, that dessert is almost an afterthought. Not here. Everything from start to finish was outstanding.
As for the inn itself, we stayed in the main house and it is exceptionally charming. The house is extremely well taken care of and modernized without compromising it's original concept and construction. The grounds are just as beautiful. We spent hours relaxing on the porch and also by the pool. It is a serene and beautifully landscaped location.
The extra bonus is that it is only a 2.5 hour drive from DC. I guarantee we will be back year after year for a weekend getaway!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2013

First off, if you are looking for 5 star accommodations, with gym, spa, golf course, etc. you will be sorely disappointed. This is a country inn built in the 1700s, given by Thomas Jefferson to his daughter as a wedding gift. It was originally on 100 acres - now much smaller -- but the grounds are gorgeous - lush, green, expansive. It has been remodeled and retrofitted for our modern needs -- but still -- no safe in the room, no full length mirror, no elevator, etc.

All that said, we had a wonderful stay for 3 days - the last leg of our trip before flying home to the west coast -- we had been wanting to see Monticello for a long time, and Clifton Inn is about 10 minutes away. The public rooms are beautiful -- "architectural digest" perfect and the food is excellent -- small plates -- you can have dinner in the beautiful and intimate restaurant, or on the veranda or patio, both of which overlook the gorgeous grounds. A tea time is offered every day with coffee/tea/ sweets - as is complimentary breakfast - both included in the price of the room. The staff is great -- will go out of their way to help with anything you need.

Our room was lovely - we stayed in room 4, the Martha Jefferson room. Very comfortable, spotlessly clean, bright and sunny, fantastic shower -- the best I've experienced anywhere - and again, it overlooked the beautiful grounds.

This is a wonderful getaway for a romantic weekend -- and I understand that it is a great wedding place as well. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2013

We visited the Clifton Inn in May 2013.

From the moment we drove into the peaceful grounds on a broiling Virginia day, we knew we would be able to relax at the Clifton Inn.

The attentive staff, who had already been very helpful in booking restaurant reservations for us, were a joy throughout the stay, Anne and Matthew in particular.

We had a lovely room, the Martha Washington room, which was decorated in a soothing mix of cream and pink with a huge bed, comfortable linens and a small seating area with a comfy sofa. The bathroom was huge, although it didn’t have a bathtub, which was a slight disappointment as I enjoy a deep bath, but the shower was more powerful than Niagara falls!

We enjoyed afternoon tea every afternoon and lazing around by the swimming pool.

One of the things I was most impressed with was that when the detergent used to wash the towels brought on a skin allergy (I have skin sensitive to certain detergents), the staff went to great lengths to ensure that for the rest of the stay our room towels washed in cold water only, which must have been a difficulty to the housekeeping staff and I appreciated it very much.

We ate at the Clifton Inn restaurant on one of our nights. On the plus side, the menu was creative and everything on it was beautifully cooked. On the minus side, I prefer my meals simple and the plethora of courses and the very avant garde nature of the flavours was not quite to my taste. Any kind of foodie however would be in heaven. They also have an excellent wine list and waitresses who are very knowledgeable about its contents.

My only niggle was that I found breakfasts a little hit and miss – whilst I enjoyed having amuse bouche at breakfast, I would have preferred if they had concentrated on smaller things, like poached eggs where the yolks were still soft.

Breakfast and afternoon tea is covered as part of a 15% service charge paid at the end of your stay and they also have a no-tipping policy because of this, which is useful for Brits fumbling to get the US tipping culture right!

The Inn is close to Monticello, Ash Lawn Highland and Montpelier and several excellent vineyards. I would reccommend the Barboursville vineyard - have a tasting lunch there and then do a tasting. Yummy!

All in all it’s a beautiful building in beautiful grounds, a real haven of elegance and bliss. Definitely worth a visit!

Room Tip: If you want privacy away from the main house, they have pretty guest cottages.