“One of my favorite hotels ever!”
Review of Clifton Inn

Clifton Inn
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I travel often and am always looking for charming, unique properties. Clifton Inn definitely ranks as one of my all-time favorites. The property feels so historic and southern. The pool, tennis courts and grounds are just lovely. Customer service was impeccable. We had a large room with enough space for a pack-n-play and a pull-out couch for my other daughter. The leisurely breakfast served on the veranda was a perfect send-off. Can't wait to go back!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank erin2000
There are newer reviews for Clifton Inn

Reviewed 19 January 2014

In the past we stayed at keswick hall, when we called for reservations they said they had know rooms. We booked the clifton hall, so glad we did. Had a great time. Service was excellent, room was good and the food was excellent. Dinner was one the finest we had in a long time. We will be back.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2014

My partner and I stayed at The Clifton Inn for one night while we were in Charlottesville, and we had a very lovely stay in a historic little inn.

I will say that my experience at The Clifton Inn is somewhat colored by the fact that we were upgraded to one of the nicest rooms. We stayed in the Martha Jefferson room in the main house, and being so close to the restaurant and bar was a much better experience than staying in one of the outline cottages. Or else, I can imagine so.

The room itself was very nice. There was a large sitting area and a large closet. We had a lot of hanging clothes, so that was very convenient. The bathroom definitely was nice: there was a strong rainfall shower as well as his and hers sinks, which is relatively rare in these historic properties.

One issue I didn't like about the room where that the television was very small and awkwardly placed in the room. If you're watching television from the bed, because the furniture in the sitting area is in its line of sight, so we ultimately had to change around the furniture of the room. Also, there are some housekeeping issues, because there were long women's hairs literally everywhere in this room, from the bed to the bathroom. I realize that happens sometimes, but we found a few. The bedside table next to me but also rather dirty, so it leads me to believe it is a housekeeping issue as supposed to just one isolated issue.

My partner and I enjoy the Relais & Chateaux association of hotels, and that is the main reason we stayed at The Clifton Inn. The teatime was very quaint, the little bit cramped in the study. I can imagine going here during the summer and having the tea out by the porch would make for a much more enjoyable experience when it wasn't so cold.

I didn't really enjoy the breakfast. They offer you a very measly "continental breakfast," but it's basically just bread and orange juice. They have five or six choices for breakfast you pay for, but none of them are inspired or something I could get out Waffle House, to be frank. And even when we did order breakfast options, they were very spartan and unadorned. I think breakfast was the weakest point of staying at The Clifton Inn.

Regardless of the issues, we had a very nice time at The Clifton Inn, and would not be opposed to staying there again. The price point is very low considering the service and property, so that is definitely a strong reason to stay again.

1  Thank jg325
Reviewed 13 January 2014

What a wonderful find among many great wineries, excellent sightseeing and beautiful countryside. Niall and the other staff were so attentive and made our stay outstanding.
Afternoon tea delightful and can see why residents in the area come for dinner at the Clifton. The chef offers many great choices of delicious food.

Room Tip: We stayed in the cozy farmhouse. Would be an excellent gathering place for families wanting to enjo...
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I never write reviews. This makes me feel guilty, because I rely on them often. But the Clifton is special and I will try to right my many wrongs by doing it some justice here (I will likely fall short; the place is just outstanding). My wife and I fell in love there, got engaged there, and count it as our most favorite place in the commonwealth. It's a beautiful place. The property is just right: the roaring Rivanna River, a placid private lake, rolling hills, tremendous Birch trees (lit just right at night), a truly special pool (the view), and genuine history in every direction. But it has something more than all this, too. The staff is awesome -- smart, funny, patient (we have been going for five + years and brought our one year old along last time). The house and the secondary buildings - our favorites - exude character and comfort. The food is tremendous. It's 10 pm right now and I just started thinking about the Clifton breakfast and became incredibly hungry. And eating said breakfast on the back veranda, with the best of views, makes one feel like time just needs to stop fast and let you hold on a little bit longer... before going off on an all day Charlottesville adventure and then returning for a drink at the bar, meal set next to the Chef's station and a final stroll through the grounds. We always meet interesting people at the Clifton. The conversation tends to be as clever as the grounds. The only hesitation I had in writing this review is that it may limit availability on our next escape to one of the very finest countryside properties.

Room Tip: Try a few; they're all unique and wonderful. We love the livery.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shane E
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This is a beautiful place, but what really makes the experience is the staff. From helping plan hikes, to advising you on about a working cheese farm, to where to find the best Chardonnay, the staff went above and beyond. Thank you especially to Ann and Nile for making this a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Ask questions about the rooms- some are off the parking lot or kitchen. Front of the house was quiet...
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Clifton Inn is a Relais Chateau property in the countryside of Virginia. We stayed 2 nights, and will surely return. What makes this Inn outstanding in the staff, from receptionist to waitstaff to hotel manager. They knock themselves out to ensure their guests enjoy their stay. Also worthy of accolades is the dining experience. Dinner dishes without fail are superb, with quality ingredients and excellent preparation. The afternoon tea, accompanied by scones, is well worth sampling and offered at no extra charge. The setting is lovely and private. Still, Clifton is not perfect, ergo the 4 stars, not 5. Our room, actually a small suite, in an outbuilding away from the mansion, was cosy and the bed comfortable. We enjoyed the quiet. However, the suite was drafty and cold due to inadequate weather insulation. The bathroom, which is large, is without its own source of heat, making it cold particularly in the morning. The floor was always cold. No slippers were provided. (Our stay was in late December, so our complaints would not apply most of the year given Virginia’s temperate climate.) On our next visit, if in winter, we shall surely stay in the main building.

Room Tip: In winter, avoid “The Livery."
1  Thank John G
___027, General Manager at Clifton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Thank you for raving about Clifton Inn. We agree with so much of what you said, we do have knock out staff, superb dishes in the restaurant all in a lovely setting.

We also listen carefully to all of our guests, the bathroom now has heat, and we are looking carefully at adding radiant heating and are currently getting samples of slippers to upgrade our guests experience.

We hope that you will return soon.

Niall Reid

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlottesville
200 South Street Inn
200 South Street Inn
#11 of 35 in Charlottesville
Keswick Hall
Keswick Hall
#1 of 1 in Keswick
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesville
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesvill...
#6 of 35 in Charlottesville
#5 of 35 in Charlottesville
Hyatt Place Charlottesville
Hyatt Place Charlottesville
#2 of 35 in Charlottesville

Been to Clifton Inn? Share your experiences!