“Beyond Expectations”
Review of Clifton Inn

Clifton Inn
Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Columbia, South Carolina
“Beyond Expectations”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We had an excellent time at the Clifton Inn. We went for two nights and were unexpectedly upgraded into the luxurious Monticello suite. The first night we enjoyed a delicious 4-course meal, including a great scallops, and a very good duck confit. We were constantly overwhelmed by the friendly and professional service. At dinner, my wife ordered a drink, which she thought was too sweet, and without her even saying anything, the waitress noticed and asked the bartender to make her another one. The manager and staff were very knowledgeable about nearby wineries and restaurants to visit. This was one of the best places we have stayed in, not only in the Charlottesville area, but in greater DC. We have recommended it to our friends and will hope to go back soon!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alexander E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My wife and I stayed in the Honeymoon Sweet at the Clifton for our honeymoon. We really enjoyed our stay: the room and grounds were beautiful and the food at the inn was excellent.

The standout here was definitely the service, which was top notch. We felt so welcome as guests of the inn and the restaurant.

Everything we've come to expect from Relais and Chateaux.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I did a lot of research before choosing this inn for a weekend getaway with my son. This Inn is part of a boutique resort group, and you could definitely feel that "boutique" ambience upon walking in the door. The inn itself is truly beautiful, with lovely furniture, interior design, historical elements and pleasurable additions including hand-written welcome notes, a croquet yard and a tea room. I can definitely see hosting a wedding here. I was surprised however, when I arrived, that the room I had booked was not available any more. I had had a specific conversation with the front desk when I made the reservation and he agreed that the room I chose was a special one. I think the people who had been staying there might have extended their visit. I wouldn't have minded the unexpected switch if an incentive or at least apologetic explanation was given. Instead, we got a different room without much discussion, and that room was not quite as desirable. The room had a quaint sitting room and antique furniture (including a piano), which was neat, but that abrupt change in the beginning set a different tone for our stay.

The inn was very quiet, and since my son is also quiet, it wasn't a problem, but the inn isn't exactly child-friendly, with small stairways and thin walls (obviously since it's a historic home!) The pool area was still closed for the season but looked like it would be gorgeous in the summer. The breakfast was very light (pastry and coffee) unless we wanted to pay for the very expensive a la carte menu, and there was an interesting modern bar in the home as well. The inn is not exactly easy to find, and I missed the turn the first time. It is relatively near area attractions. I liked the inn overall with its historic charm and small, thoughtful gestures, but with all the competition in the area accommodations, I think I would choose a different place to stay upon returning to the area.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank CarolTCK
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Beautiful old house and incredible service. This historic inn was once part of Thomas Jefferson's estate and it is very close to Monticello and University of Virginia. Great restaurant and the overall service was the best.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Shepherdstown, West Virginia
Reviewed 13 March 2014

A beautiful property with terrific vistas that a friend of ours discovered, with good accessability to Charlottesville & local sites. We decided to stay a couple of nights in early March while visiting Charlottesville for a show. The weather took a terrible turn for the worse with lots of ice & snow, and as they had a couple of rooms still available in the main house, they chose to upgrade us to larger suites inside the main building for proximity and convenience. I was very impressed with the staff, service & food, and my friends and I are already planning a trip back this summer so we can play some croquet & bocce, & splash around in the lake & outdoor pool & jacuzzi!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night while visiting U Virginia. Very comfortable and elegant. So many lovely small touches. Boxed cookies on bed in evening and when leaving, complimentary homegrown wine in room and a personal welcome note. Clifton is large enough to make it feel like a boutique hotel, yet has all the lovely style of a gracious southern home.

Stayed February 2014
Nellysford, VA
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Beautiful B & B makes you feel like you are stepping back in times. Within easy drive of vineyards, historic sites, and Charlottesville, it boasts an extremely friendly and attentive staff. There were some small bones in my husband's trout, but otherwise it was a lovely place to relax and enjoy the ambiance.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlottesville
Omni Charlottesville
Omni Charlottesville
#5 of 35 in Charlottesville
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,661 reviews
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesville
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesvill...
#7 of 35 in Charlottesville
Graduate Charlottesville
Graduate Charlottesville
#11 of 35 in Charlottesville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlottesville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlo...
#1 of 35 in Charlottesville

Been to Clifton Inn? Share your experiences!