“Really sorry I couldn't continue the trend of "excellent" ratings”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Foxfield Inn

Foxfield Inn
GreenLeadersBronze level
Baltimore, MD
“Really sorry I couldn't continue the trend of "excellent" ratings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

I booked this based on the fact that it is number 1 on tripadvisor. Though I loved our stay, I didn't leave with a the sense, that so many others have, that this was the best. I believe that is mostly based on the fact that I am used to staying at historic bed & breakfasts and enjoy the charm that those older buildings bring. What I did enjoy was the personalized welcome complete with a glass of wine and restaurant recommendations. My husband says it was the best breakfast he ever ate. I unfortunately, had to settle for a waffle since I don't eat eggs. The little coconut muffins served with the breakfast were wonderful though (but wish my meal was savory rather than sweet because of it). Our fireplace had an instruction to "use remote", except there was no remote and there was no way of contacting the owners at 9 pm so we weren't able take advantage of probably the number one reason why we booked that room. I was disappointed then that there were no televisions, I would have liked to been able to enjoy a television or a fireplace. The inn with it's "newer" feel, didn't feel quite so solid (as older inns do) and I felt the need to keep our voices super low and tip toe around. The outdoor hot tub and indoor jacuzzi tubs were very nice. I found a little basket of tolietries in the cabinet with things one may have forgotten to pack...that was a thoughtful touch. I enjoyed the well water in the room and the cookies available as a snack. When I went for a soda, they were empty. Having the fridge though was helpful as we could store our champagne and leftovers from dinner. The bed was very comfortable and all the linens (including the bath rug) were divine. I would certainly stay there again and recommend it to others...I just tried to include the highs and lows for me as I know this couple cares very much for people's feedback.

4 Thank vjcjenn
Foxfieldinn, Owner at Foxfield Inn, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Thank you very much for the feedback. We learn and make adjustments to our way of operating using input from our guests. We are happy that you will stay here again and that you will recommend us to others.

We are disappointed that your stay wasn’t the best. We try to fix anything that is not quite right. We do ask for food restrictions and preferences at the time of when the reservation was made. We also discuss it again when guests arrive as you may recall. This is when you told us that you do not eat eggs. We always have multiple alternatives to the “Chef’s Choice” for the day – eggs, waffles, oatmeal and granola with yogurt. Our other guests have enjoyed the Lemon Waffle with Blueberry Sauce that you had and am sorry it did not satisfy you. Savory dishes that do not contain eggs are difficult to find but I am investigating. When you come next time I will have an alternate savory dish for you.

We have amended the fireplace instructions referencing that the fireplaces are not available during the hot summer months. This is because we are trying to be good Green lodging partners and the use of the fireplaces in hot weather makes the air conditioners work harder which goes against green principles.

Our beverage refrigerator is stocked daily with a bottle of water and a can of soda for each guest. Normally only a few are taken during the evening hours.

If anyone needs to contact us after hours they can always reach us by knocking on the door to our quarters or by phone. This is noted on the information sheet in each room but we will highlight it so that other guests will see it better.

Again, thank you very much for your feedback. We hope to see you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

Foxfield Inn is simply the most wonderful place to stay. Hosts Kathryn and Dan seem to have the balance just right, fantastic attention to detail whilst being non intrusive during our stay. Kathryn made restaurant suggestions and bookings that were perfect, our room was beautiful and kept extremely clean and fresh, their was on tap coffee, tea, water, soft drinks and the most delicious chocolate chip cookies I have ever tasted. This was the first time I have experienced fine dining for breakfast, once again Kathryn's attention to detail came through. Miss this place at your peril.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

We travelled from the UK to Charlottesville for our nephew's wedding and stayed at The Foxfield Inn for a week. We have never felt compelled to write a review before but we wanted to reiterate all the positive comments The Foxfield has received. We simply couldn't agree more the Inn was wonderful and we couldn't have asked for better or more accommodating hosts than Dan and Kathryn. As for Kathryn's breakfast we couldn't wait to see what wonders she'd conjure up each morning. So imaginative and yummy. Not only were we lucky enough to sample Kathryn's gourmet cooking but she also extended a very kind invitation for our sister and brother in law who were staying not far from The Foxfield to join us one morning for breakfast. Our trip was a great success and we met some lovely people along the way. We couldn't have chosen a nicer place to stay and would not hesitate to recommend The Foxfield to anyone visiting Charlottesville.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

Our very large family is having a delayed celebration of our 50th wedding anniversay, but we wanted a getaway for just the two of us on the actual anniversary. We found Foxfield on line and it was absolutely ideal! The Inn and the grounds are gorgeous, the rooms extremely comfortable and the hosts simultaneously attentive and non-intrusive. The gourmet breakfast, served family style, is truly outstanding and we enjoyed the opportunity to meet and chat with the other guests. Rather than repeat it all, we strongly agree with everything written in the review by ajmenze. Foxfield is a true gem and we definitely hope to return.

Room Tip: All rtooms are on the first floor, all beautiful and comfortable.
1 Thank NSS20012
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

The hosts were exceptional, the food noteworthy, the location pastoral, and the decor tasteful. A must stay for the Charlottesville area. The B&B was located in horse country with large farms and paddocks.

charlottesville, va
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

Since moving away from Charlottesville, my husband and I try to go
back as much as possible and were looking forward to getting away for one
night alone without our baby. Previously, we had stayed at an inn attached
to a well known vineyard in the area, and although it was beautiful, it
wasn't very memorable and we didn't have much interest in returning. We
chose Foxfield Inn based on the reviews on Trip Advisor, and couldn't
agree more that it is truly the #1 B&B in the Cville area. We already can't
wait to return and have recommended it to friends who promptly made
reservations to stay in July.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by Kathryn with a smile who made us
feel extremely comfortable and welcomed. She gave us a tour of the
picturesque and quiet grounds and offered us an array of gourmet snacks and
local wine/beer to enjoy while we got settled. Our room was the "Hunt
Country" room and is nestled at the end of the hallway and is quite spacious
with a large bathroom, whirlpool tub, and fireplace in the bedroom. Every
detail was accounted for, from the plush towels, upscale bath products,
cozy slippers and robes to the bose radio/alarm/cd player and selection
of books in the room. The entire inn is tastefully decorated and Dan and
Kathryn have created an atmosphere of warmth and relaxation. Cleanliness is
something I pay a lot of attention to. Foxfield Inn was absolutely immaculate.
Even the fan blades and shutters in our room were shiny because they were so
clean. This really impressed me and made it that much more obvious the
pride that Dan and Kathryn have in being the best Innkeepers. Kathryn's ginger
cookies were delightful, and we really appreciated the bottles of water and
coffee that were always available to guests. In addition, I greatly
appreciated the refrigerator that was available for guests to share.

Breakfast was out of this world, the portions were perfect and
light. It was an excellent combination of sweet and savory breakfast
treats-broccoli and potato quiche, scones, and mini pear tarts, with orange juice and
coffee. Again, every detail was accounted for.

Dan and Kathryn could not have been more accommodating from the time
I made our reservation to allowing us to extend our checkout by an hour so
we could go for a long run nearby. Their hospitality and attention to detail
can't be matched and we are really looking forward to staying with them
again.

1 Thank ajmenze
Herndon, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

Recently I arranged a hot air balloon ride for my husband's birthday and stayed at the Foxfield Inn just outside of Charlottesville. This was our first time staying at a B&B and we were delighted with the entire experience. The Inn is beautifully appointed, the grounds are well maintained and the breakfast is a culinary delight. We had the opportunity to meet a number of friendly guests and shared interesting conversation over breakfast. Kathryn and Dan, the Innkeepers, were warm and welcoming making us feel right at home. We especially enjoyed sitting on the patio and partaking of the wine and cheese in the evening, along with relaxing in the hot tub before retiring at night. Charlottesville is a beautiful area with many activities from hiking and fishing to historical sites. I highly recommend a visit to the area and definitely a stay at the Foxfield Inn.