“There a smell of Mildew in my Room”

Hyatt Place Chesapeake/Greenbrier
Ranked #2 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“There a smell of Mildew in my Room”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I believe this is a relatively new hotel. There were 4 young ladies standing at the reception desk when I checked-in. There was not one smile among them, nor any greeting to speak of. I was assigned a room on the 4th floor. It smelled of mildew. I was way too tired to request a room change--so I stayed there. Otherwise, the room appeared clean--everything was clean. In the morning, they provide a very lite contental breakfast, which was somewhat dissappointing. It consisted of boiled eggs, bread, cereal, fruit an yogert.

This is a very good location, as there is a multitude of restuarants in shopping within walking distance of the hotel. Also, a 7-11 Convenience and gas store is in the backyard. Very close to the interstate, so it's easy to get to many locations.

I think Hyatt Place pretty much delivered what they promised (besides the mildew). It was a clean, affordable, safe accommodation for a very fair price--nothing special.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Bigger32
709edenway, General Manager at Hyatt Place Chesapeake/Greenbrier, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Dear Bigger32,

Thank-you for taking the time to review our property on Trip Adviser. I am very sorry that your room had an odor of some sort. If you could email me your room number I would love to investigate and eradicate any unpleasant odor that you experienced. My email address is Rob.Murphy@hyatt.com. I also saw that you were a little disappointed with the variety of our continental breakfast. We are revamping and upgrading our complimentary breakfast starting around April 15th to include hot breakfast sandwiches, waffles and french toast among other items. We take all feedback very seriously as it is the best tool for improvement. Thank-you again for your comments and we hope to see you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Oklahoma
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Rooms are spacious, almost a suite with divided bed area and sitting area with desk and refreshment counter. The bathroom is fine with a nice shower.

The large flat-screen TV is oddly positioned on the dividing line between the bed and sofa. It prevents the room from needing two TVs, but neither section has a great view.

The closet is oddly positioned in the sink area and is rather small.

The fan noise in the bathroom was continual and loud, but keeping the bathroom door closed solves the issue. Otherwise our street-facing room was quiet. When taking a shower, make sure to pull the glass pane fully in or a lot of water gets through on the bathroom floor.

The continental breakfast is adequate. We did enjoy the fresh grapefruit slices. One day there were hard-boiled eggs. The hot dish varied from oatmeal to biscuits and gravy. The real dishes, cups, and cutletry are a refeshing step up from the plastic items encountered in comparable hotels. Newspapers are available in the lobby.

The front desk personnel were pleasant and helpful. The hotel is a newer part of town with plenty of restaurants and shops nearby. As we like good salad bars, we especially liked walking to the Jason's Deli a few hundred yards away.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: 4th floor was fine and even the street-side was quiet enough.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Danville, California
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Consistently superior service for the business traveler with the comforts of home. Plenty of room And quiet. Hyatt has a winner with the brand nd has taken a big bite out of Marriott hotels for me.

• Stayed February 2012
Dawsonville, Georgia
Reviewed 20 February 2012

In and out for one night. Very Friendly staff.
Hot breakfast was just average.
Room very clean and very convenient for my trip.

Would stay again.

Room Tip: Stay on side away from Dollar Tree offices. If not, you will hear trucks all night
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
709edenway, General Manager at Hyatt Place Chesapeake/Greenbrier, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dville_dawg,

Thank-you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. Our breakfast is going to be upgraded in Mid April 2012. We are adding complimentary hot breakfast sandwiches as well as some other items to our continental breakfast. Thank-you for choosing Hyatt Place and we look forward to seeing you in the future.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 20 February 2012

The Hyatt Chesapeake is a great little hotel, clean, and managed well. The staff is friendly and professional. It's located within walking distance to many restaurants and shopping. The rooms are well appointed with high-speed internet service. The daily breakfast has many choices. The only downside is there is no business center to make last minute copies, etc.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
709edenway, General Manager at Hyatt Place Chesapeake/Greenbrier, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
James C,

Thank-you so much for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. We appreciate the kind words about our staff. We do have a business center behind the front desk with two terminals for guests to surf the internet and print documents. If any guest is in need of making copies or faxing services our desk staff will be happy to assist. Thank-you again for choosing Hyatt Place, we look forward to your next visit.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Priced right! Easy to find, simple high end motel. No restaurant, but in the same parking lot as loads of restaurants etc.
Spotlessly clean and organized.

• Stayed December 2011
3 Thank Lvbrit
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed 6 November 2011

I checked into the hotel around 6:00, dropped off my bags and went out to a meeting. Returned around 9:30 to find that apparently a pipe had burst in the wall, soaking a good part of the carpet. The engineer was right up to the room, checking my room and the one next, which was apparently similarly affected. The manager then came up, realized I couldn't stay and asked me to wait in the lobby. Luckily I hadn't unpacked, so took my bags down to the lobby. Unfortunately, the hotel was completely booked and there were no extra rooms. They apologized profusely, but got me a room at the nearby Aloft for the evening - at their expense. They even offered to drive me over, but I declined. Was back at the Hyatt the next evening and everything was perfect. The entire staff I dealt with at the Hyatt could not have been more professional and considerate in dealing with a difficulty situation. I'd gladly stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo