“A Surprise Experience”

Hyatt Place Chesapeake/Greenbrier
Ranked #3 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Reviewed 27 September 2013

When my family made our last trip to Chesapeake Virginia to visit my mother our usual hotel, which is on the water in Portsmouth, VA, was not available so we had to make a blind choice of where to stay. We did our usual research online and decided to go with a known chain that we have been happy with in the past. Chesapeake is a small city just outside of Portsmouth so we were ready for a little of a step down in what we usually experience but we were in for a pleasant surprise.

From the moment we arrived we were met with one pleasant experience after another. I have to say that in my travels I have not met a friendlier staff who's genuine desire seemed to be that we were taken care of from the start. The room was better than advertised, in addition to a quiet refrigerator, a 46" flat screen TV, and free Wi-Fi, the TV was equipped with a panel on the wall that had input connections for a computer, a DVD player, and just about any kind of other device you would want to play through the TV. Most of the hotels that I stay at make it almost impossible to play a portable DVD player through their TV but this hotel is completely opposite, even my wife could have hooked up the DVD player to play the kid movies we bring on family trips.

Speaking of Kids, this isn't a resort hotel with lots of kid activities and we were not expecting any, we simply were looking for a nice place to stay while we visited my mom. I will say that the DVD attachment was great for the kids though.

I want to get back to just how great the staff was and I will give you an example. The hotel served breakfast until 10:00 am (my usual hotel's breakfast last until 9:00 am) and it was usually pretty good. One morning our family went down for breakfast and my wife and I got the last two biscuits on the tray (it was 9:45 am when we got there) and after I had just finished mine one of my two boys asked me if there were more biscuits, I checked and there were no more put on the tray. I asked one of the guys working the breakfast area if there were any more biscuits in the back and he said that there were none and I passed on that info to my boys. Not 3 minutes later the same guy came back with a plate full of muffins to see if they liked them, the muffins were not on the menu but he offered my boys a selection to choose from which went over even better than the biscuits.

Although we really like the hotel on the water, we liked the hospitality and the great value of the Hyatt Place, I feel we really got lucky and will be staying there from now on. We highly recommend the Hyatt Place to anyone looking for a clean, inviting environment to stay at. One more thing, the hotel is located near just about anything you would need from a grocery store to a pharmacy, and a large shopping center all within a half mile of the hotel.

Room Tip: The hotel is only 4 stories high and I would recommend staying on the top floor, always less noise...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank GBCrew
709edenway, General Manager at Hyatt Place Chesapeake/Greenbrier, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Dear GBcrew,

Thank-you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit at our hotel. Of all the hotels you could have selected in Chesapeake or Portsmouth we are honored that you picked the Hyatt Place. We are glad that our breakfast person helped make your experience memorable. We hope to see you again during your next visit to see your family.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Hyatt place are very consistent, this property is great!
Very easy location!
Lots of shopping, dining in area!
Nice hotel, great outdoor area! Comfortable rooms!
Same great hyatt service! Great nignts sleep!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The Hyatt Place in Greenbrier in located within walking distance to numerous restaurants and stores. It is a few blocks from I-64, about 25 minutes from Virginia Beach. The staff is focused on customer service.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

Service at the site was very good. Room was very clean and the air was cooling for our stay. Breakfast was average however we are tea drinkers and enjoyed being able to get a cup anytime during our stay.

The distance from Sandbridge Beach from the hotel was not far and certainly there are places to stock up on food and liquor.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 22 August 2013

The hotel was very comfortable for our family of 5 at a very reasonable price. We opted to stay here because all of the beach front hotels in Virginia Beach were 2 1/2 times what we paid here. It was only about a 25 minute drive to the ocean, so it worked out well. The rooms were very clean and they have a superb breakfast in the morning - everyone will find something they like. Also, I like how the room as a separation between the beds and the "living" space where the couch, desk and counter w/fridge were. Lastly, the hotel is in a great location with just about every restaurant you could think of nearby.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I stayed her for a weekend while in town for a friend's wedding (the block of rooms was booked here). The location is nice, close to the interstate and lots of restaurants. Not convenient to the beach (about 25-30 minutes away), but that was fine. Stayed in a two queen room with a friend. very comfortable beds in a HUGE room. Large couch with pull-out bed, dry bar, and desk. Very big flat screen tv as well (maybe 54 inches?). You can even borrow a clothes steamer! Front desk was very nice and helpful. The free breakfast left a little something to be desired though. Nonetheless, a very great stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Seth M
Reviewed 15 August 2013

very nice hotel, just off a strip of restaurants, a gas station and by a mall. nice big rooms with sofa and large flat screen tv. nice clean bathroom. pool isn't that big though, great hot breakfast. nice staff

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business