“Great location & Customer Service”

Hyatt Place Chesapeake/Greenbrier
Ranked #1 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed at this location for 1 night traveling from Maryland for 2 hockey games. The location was PERFECT with plenty of dining options & shopping- also helped us with early morning games being less than a mile from the rink! It was an interesting lobby that night with a wedding party staying, a 70's party going on & our hockey boys. Everyone was very nice. When we requested bedding for our pull out sofa it was made up when we returned. We had a minor hiccup with our wake up call that I informed the front desk about upon our departure & included on my survey. Rob responded immediately! Next time we play there I will absolutely stay again.

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank momsnayr
709edenway, General Manager at Hyatt Place Chesapeake/Greenbrier, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear Momsnayr,

Thank-you for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel on Trip Advisor. We appreciate the positive feedback on our hotel and on weekends our lobby can definitely have a diverse mix of people. I'm glad that you had a great time and I hope that your hockey team did well in the tournament. I am very sorry that we erred in entering your wake-up call and I am glad that you set a back-up. I personally read every email survey and Trip Advisor response so that we can gauge what our guests experience. This way we can better train our staff on their weaknesses. Thank-you again and we hope to see you the next time you are in Chesapeake.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

I had to come to Virginia Beach on business and the Hyatt Place was suggested by corporate. It was a good location, nearby the corporate office and the area had several decent places to eat and shop. The room was very clean, and quite secure which is important for a female traveling alone.

I checked in on a Sunday and had quite the surprise when I stepped into the shower the next morning. There was nothing but cold water. I notified the front desk that morning and was assured it would be resolved before my return that evening. Unfortunately, it wasn't. I contacted the front desk again, they told me they did have some plumbing problems with a few rooms, and they gave me keys to another room. (Why would you book someone into a room with known issues?" I visited the second room and guess what? Cold water there as well! Even after letting the shower run for several minutes it was cold. Back to the front desk I go! In the end, the gentleman at the front desk had to check two more rooms before he found one which he assured me had hot water. Ummmm... not so much. Although it was warmer, hot would not be my classification of it. (Lukewarm?) Surprisingly, the water from the sink was 10x hotter. After moving my belongings to the new location I was way over the entire process. I was able to muddle though the rest of the weeks stay, but had to get up 30 minutes earlier to turn on the water and wait for it to get warm enough to shower.

The other problem I noticed was the WIFI signal which frequently disappeared and took a few minutes to return. This wouldn't be a problem under normal circumstances, but since there was no "backup" wired access it did infringe on my evening work productivity. Again, I contacted the front desk and was told that "yes, it tends to be weak. You can always come down to the lobby to work, its stronger there." That just didnt work for me as it required hauling a lot of files to the lobby.

All in all, the service was quite good, the people friendly, and the hotel clean as a whistle, but their plumbing and WIFI need some serious attention.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Trinity5703

Dear Trinity5703,

Thank-you for taking the time to share you experience with our hotel. We take all feedback to heart and certainly I wish that everything was much smoother during your visit. On occasion we do experience longer wait times for hot water during morning showers. Unfortunately this issue is erratic and not confined to one section or room of the hotel. We just had an engineer and a master plumber come out this week to develop a solution so that hot water is always ready and available. I can understand the frustration of having to wait in the morning when you are on a strict time schedule. We do have hard wired internet in the rooms, there should have been an ethernet cord on the top of the desk. Our contract with our current wireless internet provider is ending very shortly. We are aggressively seeking other companies that can install more access points and provide a greater signal strength for our guests. We do appreciate your very kind feedback on the staff and the cleanliness of the hotel. We hope to have our Wifi and plumbing match the same level of service shortly. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Chesapeake with an overall much better experience.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Hyatt was a great hotel, we don't stay in many hotels, but the location was excellent, we could walk to many restaurants or drive to some in less than 5 mins. Our room was clean, nice bed, nice sofa, no bathtub, bathroom a little tight, but other than that it was great. We were celebrating our 20th Wedding Anniversary and the front desk offered us a bottle of wine, we declined because we don't drink, but they offered us soft drinks and desert in replacement of that. Our overall stay was excellent.

Room Tip: TOP FLOOR, no noise at all
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Latarsha
709edenway, General Manager at Hyatt Place Chesapeake/Greenbrier, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Latarsha,

Congratulations on your 20 years of marriage! That is quite an accomplishment. We are honored that you choose to stay at the Hyatt Place for such special occasion. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again during your next visit to Chesapeake.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I am not fond of hotels. At all. I avoid them when I travel in favor of B&Bs or condo rentals. However, necessity made us book a hotel on the way to vacation this year. Hyatt Place was an outstanding hotel.

The rooms are large with two super comfy beds, a very large sectional that turned into a more comfy than normal pull-outs. The beds and the pull-out are partially separated by a partial wall. There is also a table, a nice sized tv, etc.

The hot breakfast included with our room went beyond the standard continental usually found in hotels.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AHenry36

Dear AHenry36,

Thank-you for taking the time to review our property on Trip Advisor. We hope that you had a relaxing vacation and enjoyed our spacious rooms. Hopefully we will see you again next time you are in Chesapeake.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

I stay here quite often for business while in the Chesapeake area. There are plenty of great restaurants nearby. The hotel is in a great location, the staff is very nice, the rooms are clean, the breakfast is great. This is probably the best hotel I have stayed in while away for work.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank twright17

Dear Twright17,

Thank-you for taking time to review the Hyatt Place on Trip Advisor. We are glad that we can be your home away from home when you travel. We definitely have an excellent location as you can walk to the many nearby restaurants. Thank-you again and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Services was Aces. Really. Took care of me. The room is very spacious - more like a quite, with large couch, TV, desk, plenty of room. Hot breakfast was included. There was a loud event going on (church group I believe) but was relatively quite by 11pm. Only issue is that it is hard to find, even with GPS (recommend a larger sign out front), not on main road, and it is about 20-30 minutes from the beach (the real reason for being there). But for a small fraction of the price - it's worth it (actually can't beat it), even if you have to drive to the beach. Compared to a Holiday Inn Express, it is a quite a bit better. They should really open one at or very close to the beach - would def stay there!

Room Tip: Unfortunately, there is only one elevator (very slow), so there is a walk to the car/ room. May wan...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank StationSquared
Reviewed 27 September 2013

When my family made our last trip to Chesapeake Virginia to visit my mother our usual hotel, which is on the water in Portsmouth, VA, was not available so we had to make a blind choice of where to stay. We did our usual research online and decided to go with a known chain that we have been happy with in the past. Chesapeake is a small city just outside of Portsmouth so we were ready for a little of a step down in what we usually experience but we were in for a pleasant surprise.

From the moment we arrived we were met with one pleasant experience after another. I have to say that in my travels I have not met a friendlier staff who's genuine desire seemed to be that we were taken care of from the start. The room was better than advertised, in addition to a quiet refrigerator, a 46" flat screen TV, and free Wi-Fi, the TV was equipped with a panel on the wall that had input connections for a computer, a DVD player, and just about any kind of other device you would want to play through the TV. Most of the hotels that I stay at make it almost impossible to play a portable DVD player through their TV but this hotel is completely opposite, even my wife could have hooked up the DVD player to play the kid movies we bring on family trips.

Speaking of Kids, this isn't a resort hotel with lots of kid activities and we were not expecting any, we simply were looking for a nice place to stay while we visited my mom. I will say that the DVD attachment was great for the kids though.

I want to get back to just how great the staff was and I will give you an example. The hotel served breakfast until 10:00 am (my usual hotel's breakfast last until 9:00 am) and it was usually pretty good. One morning our family went down for breakfast and my wife and I got the last two biscuits on the tray (it was 9:45 am when we got there) and after I had just finished mine one of my two boys asked me if there were more biscuits, I checked and there were no more put on the tray. I asked one of the guys working the breakfast area if there were any more biscuits in the back and he said that there were none and I passed on that info to my boys. Not 3 minutes later the same guy came back with a plate full of muffins to see if they liked them, the muffins were not on the menu but he offered my boys a selection to choose from which went over even better than the biscuits.

Although we really like the hotel on the water, we liked the hospitality and the great value of the Hyatt Place, I feel we really got lucky and will be staying there from now on. We highly recommend the Hyatt Place to anyone looking for a clean, inviting environment to stay at. One more thing, the hotel is located near just about anything you would need from a grocery store to a pharmacy, and a large shopping center all within a half mile of the hotel.

Room Tip: The hotel is only 4 stories high and I would recommend staying on the top floor, always less noise...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank GBCrew

Dear GBcrew,

Thank-you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit at our hotel. Of all the hotels you could have selected in Chesapeake or Portsmouth we are honored that you picked the Hyatt Place. We are glad that our breakfast person helped make your experience memorable. We hope to see you again during your next visit to see your family.