“What a pleasant surprise!”

Hyatt Place Chesapeake/Greenbrier
Ranked #2 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I had never stayed at a Hyatt Place before,, but if they are all like this, I may be changing my preferred brand. I arrived after driving in a drenching rainstorm that followed us for hours, and did not much feel like going back out for a meal. The Hyatt actually offers fresh-cooked noshes and deli salads etc, as well as a bar. The hotel was immaculate, the beds were comfy and the breakfast was excellent with many good selections.

Room Tip: Our room on the second floor was very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Place Chesapeake/Greenbrier

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We had a bit of work to do in the Chesapeake area, so we used the Hyatt Place as a base for that, plus some fun in Virginia Beach. The hotel was nice, although the elevators were extremely slow. Our room was smaller than any other Hyatt Place I've stayed in. We could see in another room when the door was open, and it appeared that we simply got the smaller configuration. Next time, I will ask for the larger layout. The bed was very comfortable, as was the pull-out couch. The main bed was directly next to the AC unit, so make sure the person who likes it cold takes that side!

The breakfast was solid, although the dining area is on the smaller side. I give the front-desk personnel high marks. They were on top of their typical front-desk duties, as well as running the breakfast area during the busiest part of the day.

The area surrounding the hotel was upscale and felt very safe. There were shops and restaurants everywhere, easily within walking distance.

We drove back and forth between the hotel and the beaches a few times. It took about 25-35 minutes to get to both the main Virginia Beach boardwalk area and the more relaxed Sandbridge. Getting to Sandbridge took us through some winding roads, but it was worth it for the view.

This hotel may not seem like the ideal VA Beach hotel, but considering the cost difference between this area and the oceanfront hotels, I have no complaints. If you need to be in Chesapeake, this is a great choice. Judging by some of the other guests we saw, this is also a popular stopping-off point for vacationers driving from the North to the Outer Banks.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We book this hotel as a weekend get away and it was amazing! The staff greeted us as soon as we walked through the front door! Our room looked just like the pictures, just breathtakingly beautiful. Any where we travel we will be looking for a Hyatt to stay at. This hotel is worth the money u pay. The heated indoor pool is another plus and the hotel is close to shops were u can walk for food and shopping. The complimentary breakfast was great as well! Strongly recommended.

Room Tip: Any room here will be amazing! We had the king room included 42" flat screen tv that swivels!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tomecia H
709edenway, General Manager at Hyatt Place Chesapeake/Greenbrier, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Tomecia H,

Thank-you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. We are glad that you enjoyed the indoor pool and we love our location. It's very convenient to walk to all the restaurants right next to us. We are Virginia Green approved and try to do our part for the environment. Thank-you again for choosing Hyatt, we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

My choice was for this place becouse of general services of Hyatt Place and location. Approx 30 mins to Norfolk, Virginia Beach aso. Good spacious rooms with all HP amenities. Sufficient breakfast choice but a bit unorganized place and mismanaged maybe. It was Memorial day weekend so crowd was crowd and staff seemed unprepared... Area is nice and quiet, a bit remote. Staff was kind and attentive, especially the front desk. Plenty of places to dine as two malls are nearby.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Aburel,

Thank-you for your review on Trip Advisor. We are located in the Greenbrier area of Chesapeake which is very close to Virginia Beach and Norfolk. I apologize if breakfast was chaotic. The breakfast room was not designed for high occupancy weekends if everyone comes down for breakfast at the same time. If you were here Memorial Day Weekend I am sure that was the case. Thank-you for the kind words about the staff we very much appreciate it. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Chesapeake.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

While we have stayed at this chain, and will likely again, we just don't think its the best. Perhaps they have tried too hard to be different or contemporary, but you still have to do the basics well. The room layouts work but not the greatest. In this particular hotel, there was a lot of noise from above and beside. The biggest down fall was the breakfast offering. It was free but I would have much rather paid for better food and service. The staff seemed to care less what was going on in the food area, many offerings were depleted or missing. Tables were not clean, the entire operation seemed to be chaos. I guess you get what you paid for - not much for not much. On the positive side, the young woman who checked me in was very pleasant and efficient.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
709edenway, General Manager at Hyatt Place Chesapeake/Greenbrier, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Sivrup,

Thank-you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I apologize that you did not enjoy our breakfast offerings or feel that the staff was not on their "A" game in the morning. We appreciate all feedback as it's the best way to get a picture on what our guests are experiencing. I am sure that if you try us again in the future that you will have a better breakfast experience. Thank-you again and we hope to see you next time you are in Chesapeake.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

My family of three need somewhere to stay last minute the Sunday before Memorial Day and the Hyatt Place was the most reasonable price. We checked in around 11:00pm and the guy at the desk was very courteous and knowledgeable. The room king size room was clean but when I opened the sofa bed there were some food crumbs on the sheets and a kids hockey stick left behind. Other than that I had no complaints. The next morning my son did not want to go down to eat, so I went down to eat breakfast and I asked if I could get a to go container. This was not a problem for the staff and they also gave me a cup and utensils. My son was excited to have his breakfast brought to the room.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank CityGirl2004

Dear CityGirl2004,

Thank-you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am glad that your travels found their way to the Hyatt Place and that you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate the kind words about the staff. We try very hard to please every guest and accommodate every request. We are glad that we made your son's day by "room service" breakfast. Thank-you again for staying with us and we hope to see you on your next visit to Chesapeake.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel was clean and well appointed. The rooms were of nice size and I likes the separate seating area. The breakfast was very good. There are lots of places nearby for shopping, a snack or anything else you may need. I stayed for two nights and this will be my hotel of choice when going back to Chesapeake.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family