“Great Breakfast but Thin Towels”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Chesapeake
Ranked #10 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Pro: Great location, free parking, friendly staff, large free breakfast.

Con: Towels were very thin and scratchy. Also, even though I'd asked in my online reservation not to get a room near a road, I was put next to I-64. Also, the TV has no menu channel, so you have to flip through all the channels to see what's on.

Room Tip: Avoid getting a room next to the freeway.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank WashDCMan

Reviewed 9 July 2013

I must admit my stay was comfortable, the staff that I did encounter were very friendly. Then when I returned home and was checking my account I notice the hotel took an extra $ 50.00 out of my account. I immediately called to inquire about this and they informed me it was for incidental charges (which they never mentioned when I was there) and would be released back to my account in 3-5 days. Checked again was not credited back to my account, bank have no record of it being released to my account. I called the hotel again and the young lady indicated that after I checked out her draw was $ 50.00 short and figured I owed it. WTH!!! I'm at this very moment awaiting a phone call from the manager so she can make this right. I guess if they're draw is short the randomly select someone to take the funds from their account. BTW, before I checked out she told me by bill was settled.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Dee J
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Wonderful people on staff, could not be better. facility could be better, too busy, slow elevator. small pool. staff are the best i've experienced in many years of traveling. lots of good places to eat in the area,

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 June 2013

The place is an excellent place to stay and just roam around the city. The staff are extremely friendly, courteous, and welcoming. When we checked in, the lobby staff was very helpful with excellent customer service. The place has a military friendly price. The rooms are clean and cozy. The beds are wonderful and comfortable! The air conditioning is not the quietest machine, but honestly, it didn't bother our sleep when we stayed in the room. The bathroom is a typical bathroom, nothing special, but it was clean. I would definitely come back to this place whenever I'm around to visit the city.

By the way, the location is in close proximity to numerous restaurants and it is across a Regal Movie Theatre.

Room Tip: If you're in the military, be sure to request the military rate!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Very good hotel! I came to town one day early before a business trip to stay here one night to complete qualifications for the latest Marriott promotion. I really had no expectations and it was definitely a pleasant surprise. Located near a shopping mall, movie theater and lots of restaurants. Property is in great condition and has definitely been renovated. I found the rooms to be large with a flat-screen television, mini-fridge, microwave, computer desk with chair, sitting chair w/ottoman, and coffee-maker.

Bathroom was also large with lots of towels.

Decent size lounge with complimentary coffee. Business Center has two computers and a printer. However, the gym is small with two treadmills, one elliptical and dumb bells.

The staff was friendly and answered all my questions along with giving great recommendations.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Although this is a fairly good place for a budget hotel, I'm rather shocked at people giving it a "perfect score" by giving it an excellent rating. That means people are giving this place as good a review as the nicest place they've ever stayed! This is no five-star hotel. I will try to be a little more realistic.

I would probably give it a little higher ranking had I not stayed in a better Fairfield Inn the next night, and an even nicer place the night after that.

The pros: It has a good location, easy in and out, and free parking. The staff were all friendly and accomodating. Check-in was quick and easy. It has a nice exercise room. The room was clean and neat.

The cons: It was noisy! It has the old style air conditioners that are not controlled by a thermostat but by controls on the AC unit. Whenever the AC runs, it is very loud. Without the fan noise, the road noise is loud, since this hotel is right off the highway. Also, the breakfast area is too small. We came at "prime time" and there wasn't enough seating. We had to eat our breakfast out in the lobby area. The breakfast is pretty typical for this type of hotel, OK but not great. The pool is very small and was crowded most of the time. As for the room, the sink is located outside of the main bathroom, and there isn't much room for anything around it; the sink area is very small. We couldn't get all of our toiletries on the counter.

Overall it wasn't a bad experience, and for the price it's a good option in the area. If possible I would give it a 3.5, but I can't stretch it to a 4. Trip advisor needs more rating levels!

Room Tip: If possible, get a room on the side away from the highway.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Missionman52
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Bottom line, I'd stay here again.

Customer service = very friendly.
Cleanliness = rooms very clean except our fridge had some melting Popsicles from the previous person.
Beds = top of the line.
Price = reasonable.
Water = not very soft but typical for most hotels.
Privacy = I didn't hear anyone in the halls.
Breakfast = typical spread with waffles, hb eggs, toast, Danishes, yogurt, fruit, etc.
Location = easy to find.
Amenities = we didn't look into this much. Small outdoor pool. Small business center. Dunno about work out facilities.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay here. You'll probably be very pleased.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple