“Marriott on the outside, days inn inside”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Chesapeake
Ranked #4 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
“Marriott on the outside, days inn inside”
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here 1 night for business. Nice lobby, elevator, and room fixtures. Pillows not so much...and the stains on the chair pillow, rug, mattress, and layer of dust under the bathroom sink vanity.... Hate having to pay for breakfast, but did through the hotel. A muffin is a muffin, but the fruit was very good. If I was paying out if pocket, I would choose a different place. There are plenty close by. Mall near by is good for getting out to walk around and there is plenty of restaurants (didnt notice any fast food ones though, but food court at mall) near by. Family went to Children's Museum of VA which was only about 15 mins away (they have been 3x in 3 yrs- go if you have kids ages 2-6).

• Stayed October 2013
ckper53, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Chesapeake, responded to this review, 8 December 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay at the Marriott Chesapeake.

We see that there is room for improvement based on your feedback. Please accept our apology for not meeting your expectations during your stay. I assure you that these items will be addressed. Pleasecome back to visit us soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I recently stayed here for 8 nights due to a family emergency. I chose this hotel for its location close to Great Bridge. Given the nature and length of my trip, it was important to have quiet, space, and a workout area. The hotel delivered on al of these. The main issue I had was housekeeping, which skipped my room twice. To be fair, I was on west coast time in the beginning and so not up early.

It's a Marriott, so I expect good service, which the front desk delivered without fail.

I would stay here again. It was an island of calm during a turbulent time.

Room Tip: Top floor under concierge level. I asked for a very quiet room and was put at the end of a hall.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I had my wedding at the Marriott Chesapeake and we received world class service. Their staff was very professional and personalized service. I know I was the bride but they made me feel like the most important person in the world. The banquet staff was very accommodating to all our guests and especially to the elder guests when they plated the buffet meals for the elder guests, so they didn't have to get up. My husband and I were personally serviced with food and drinks from the bar. The food was amazing and the chef was very accommodating when he heard we had a vegan guest that we hadn't planned for. They chef whipped up something for him in a pinch and our guest was over the moon appreciative. The entire staff was extremely enthusiastic during the planning process and serviced world class service with a smile.

At the end of the night my new husband and I were greeted in our room by 2 plates of entrees, a variety of deserts, and a bottle of champagne in addition to the penthouse suite that was complimentary for booking our wedding.

All in all, I highly recommend the Marriott Chesapeake for any event, because you are treat like the most important person in the world and they don't miss a beat!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Adam T, Front Office Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Chesapeake, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
I would like to personally thank you on behalf of the entire staff here at the Marriott Chesapeake for you thoughtful review. We are very thankful that you held your wedding here and that everything went smoothly. We strive to exceed the expectation of our guest, and I am happy to hear that we were successful in doing so with your event. We hope to be of service to you in the future.

Cary, NC
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We had a basketball tournament close to Virginia beach and we booked our hotel based on availability as there were not that much hotel vacancies near the beach. I found Norfolk Marriott Chesapeake online and it was not that bad when we arrived at the hotel with my husband and kids. Though I always like to stay at the beach whenever we travel, I thought that this Marriott hotel is better hotel than the ones by the beach. Marriott is about 20 minutes away from the beach which is not bad at all. I am glad that we stayed in this hotel as the hotels near the beach were not that great in compared with Norfolk Marriott Chesapeake.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your recent visit here at the Marriott Chesapeake We want every guest to experience nothing less than a perfect stay, and I am pleased that you and your family were able to do so. We look forward to hosting you on your next visit to the area.

georgia
Reviewed 21 September 2013

If you are staying in the area, there are many hotels to choose from. We stayed here based on the Marriott loyalty program and the Concierge Level. And, we were satisfied with our choice - but, not blown away.

A few quick pros:
1. Room size was decent and the hotel has been updated in the recent past. So, everything is relatively new, clean, and modern. Bed was comfortable except the pillows - see below.
2. Exercise room had a variety of equipment - a few treadmills, elipticals, and electronic bikes plus weight equipment. The indoor pool was large and while could be used for laps - they would be very short!
3. Staff was very courteous and open to our input.
4. The hotel is well-situated near shopping and food; however, you need your car to get there (not sure if they have a shuttle as we had a rental car).

A few quick cons:
1. Concierge food quality was sub-par. The variety of food along with quality was very disappointing. We spoke to the Front Desk; so, hopefully, it will improve for future guests. Both breakfast and cocktail hour/dinner had limited selections that were poorly prepared and presented. And, the white wine cost $10/glass - pretty steep for the Concierge Level - and for the quality of wine offered.
2. The restaurant is off the beaten path in the hotel. Again, the food was just okay. We ate there for breakfast one morning because the Concierge was unsatisfactory. Presentation of our breakfasts (egg white scramble, frittata, fresh fruit cup) felt more like a fast-food restaurant rather than a full-service one at the Marriott.
3. Pillows in the bedroom had lumps in them - all 4 of them - on both beds. They also had what felt like hard pieces of plastic or feathers throughout. Very uncomfortable for 3 nights of sleeping.

So, all-in-all, I'm glad that I got points for my stay and don't regret staying there - but, would really look into other hotel offerings in the area to see if the overall stay would be more satisfactory. Hoping that these "cons" will turn into "pros" in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent visit here at the Marriott Chesapeake. Also, thank you for taking the time for your detailed review with both the "pros and cons". We want every guest experience to be nothing short of brilliant and unfortunately during your visit it seems like we fell short in a few areas. I can assure you that the “cons” you listed are not taken lightly, and we are currently in the process of moving forward in those areas to make every stay a brilliant one. We look forward to serving you in the future.

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 12 September 2013

This Marriott is what you would expect out of a Marriott, nothing more but nothing less. I stayed here for 1 night while on a business trip and it suited my needs just fine. The front desk was helpful and checked me in quickly. The room was standard. Comfortable bed, standard bathroom and overall very clean. The coffee maker was gross. It was dusty and had funky looking water in it already but that isn't a huge deal for me. Check out was quick and breakfast at the onsite restaurant was average and slightly overpriced which I don't think is unusual. I would stay here again for business if need be.

Room Tip: I had a standard room with a king bed and it was like any other Marriott room I have stayed in. The...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent stay at the Marriott Chesapeake. We are pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your visit. I would like to assure you that we take great pride in the service we offer, and it sounds like we may have fallen short with a few items you mentioned. We are continuing to make great strides in all of our departments to become one of the best hotels in the area, and if moving forward we look forward to hosting you again on your next visit.

North, South Carolina
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Let me start by saying I research hotels quite thoroughly on TripAdvisor before choosing a location. I chose this hotel for the price, proximity to VA beach, and good (recent) reviews. On the positive side, the hotel front desk attendants were extremely friendly and the lobby area was nice-looking. The Greenbrier Pkwy area is packed with great shopping and eateries -- gotta have a Panera, Starbuck's and Target nearby and all my favorite stores were here. The hotel location is also only 20-24 mins from VA beach which wasn't a bad commute at all.
Now for the cons, we spent the weekend here and upon check-in to our room we were given a room on the 6th floor. Before bringing in our bags, we always check the room to make sure we're satisfied. Well, when we entered this room the first thing we noticed were all the ugly, dark carpet stains. It was hard to believe this was a Marriott with that kind of first impression. When we told the front desk attendant, she was very responsive and apologetic. Another hotel attendant told her that the carpets on the 2nd floor had recently been cleaned so we were given a room on the 2nd floor. C'mon Marriott...clean all the carpets on EVERY floor or make your front desk attendants are aware of which rooms aren't ready for guest to use. The room was fine on the 2nd floor, carpet did look better but no microwave or hair dryer. I just think it's such an inconvenience to have to go down to the lobby to warm leftovers or make a bag of popcorn. Breakfast was not included with our $99 rate so the cost would have been $13 (adults) and $7 (children). We chose to eat breakfast at a nearby restaurant and it was certainly cheaper than the $33 for a family of 3. There is a Starbuck's bar with a limited selection of pastries, boxed cereals, muffins, fruit (which was bananas only) and bagels...all of which are overpriced.
Overall, I wouldn't choose this hotel again just because of the carpet incident and some of the other minor inconveniences.

Room Tip: Ask to make sure carpet is clean.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your recent visit to the Marriott Chesapeake. I would like to offer my personal apologies for the issues you experienced during your visit. I can understand how frustrated you must have felt. I can assure you this does not meet the level of expectations we hold ourselves accountable to. Again, I am truly sorry you did not enjoy your visit. We look forward to serving you in the future.