All reviewssliding doorlounge areaupon checkthe room was nicecoffee makerindoor poolvirginia beachthe staff was greatsaraxyzchainpetmallhighwaystainsfuneral
Reviewed 4 August 2013

The Aloft was very quiet. They extended my stay with no problems. The room was very clean. There were plenty of places to eat, and the mall was very close by. The food that the Aloft does have for sale can get a bit pricey, but if your in a pinch..its worth it. Will stay here again.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

The staff is very caring and you will feel welcomed, so that part is good.We had a king bed but requested a room with two queens if one became available. Upon arrival I repeated the request and was offered a needs/accessibility room and accepted. The bathroom included a powerful hand held shower that was super for really getting rid of a lot of beach sand - so that too was good.
What you should know is that the beds- all of them ( I asked) are very low platform beds, maybe 8-12 inches off the ground with only a mattress because a box spring mattress is not needed with the platform. The low level of the bed would make transferring from a wheelchair to the bed, potentially dangerous because the person would have to literally fall into bed. Getting up would be very difficult. Even without a wheelchair, anyone who might not be able to freely and easily get up from a squat position might find these beds too low to be acceptable. If one tends to fall out of bed, this might be a good choice.
The bathroom door is a sliding tract door but not a normal one. This door is incredibly thick and heavy ( possibly as heavy as a refrigerator door unhinged), as a adult, I used two hands to slide it open or closed. My children kept it slightly open for fear of getting trapped. The door actually came off the track but the hotel staff fixed it. Frankly, I don't see how this room would qualify for being accessible but I don't know all of the rating criteria.
The swimming pool did smell, was too cloudy to use, as others have noted, so we stayed away. Do not consider this indoor pool or hotel, if an indoor pool is an important part of your hotel selection. Aloft is part of the Starwood hotel group ( Westin, Sheraton, St. Regis, etc..) and while on the more affordable end, the condition of this pool would give this hotel one star. I am giving it three because the staff is pleasant, the price was acceptable with free parking and wify, and it was clean - plus it had a ironing board and iron, the hand-held shower, big TV, refrigerator and microwave. Itis in the Greenbrier area, in a business park, with lots of hotels and is very near a shopping mall and strip malls with restaurants and is only about 15- 20 minutes to the beach.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Jeremy G, Starwood Hotels at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Hi mjm0508,

Thank you for your recent stay at Aloft Chesapeake and for taking the time to share your feedback with us!

We’re glad to hear you had a positive experience with our staff, location and some of our in room features.

We’re sorry to hear about the challenges you had with the bathroom door and the condition of our pool. We just had our air system worked on to get the air movement right in our pool, so we no longer have any cloudiness.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Courteous staff, clean property. I had no problems there. I like the bar set up and pool table. It's a nice way to unwind at the end of the day. The amenities like the pool and gym are great! I would definitely stay here again. Thanks for having such a great staff that always seemed ready to help out.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

I am a Hampton Inn girl I guess and just should have paid the extra for a room there as I have membership rewards there and know what Im paying for however I was willing to try something new and Aloft seemed like a nice alternative and the location was good for me. The check in was smooth so I was able to get to my room and unwind. The rooms are definitely unique and compact, reminds me of swedish design with an eco friendly appeal which kinda surprised me as their website claims accessible technology to help one stay connected , well I hunted for a USB port to charge phone, nope. Only mirror is in bathroom area so getting ready to out was a challenge. Thr bathroom door slides shut and not very private, no fan for showering or longer trips in bathroom. Nice spacious shower tho. The thermostat was stuck on 63, felt like high 70's , there was
no night light in the room as the master switch controls all lighting , the bed was nice and clean but thin comforter and brick like pillows. Night staff was happy to bring up another comforter for us. I don't think I would stay here again, not bad just not my style. I guess I am used to fresh baked cookies for the kids at 6pm, fluffy comforters and pillows, ice machine on floor and free continental breakfast at Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: July 2013
Melissa C, Starwood Hotels at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Dear Ddwil,
We are so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel. As you mentioned our Aloft decor is modern and we offer a variety of fun features like our w xyz bar, re:mix lounge area and free WiFi and bottled water in our guest rooms. Starwood is proud to offer nine distinct lifestyle brands and we hope that you continue to experience our brands on your future trips.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

If your a 'save the earth' type person, you might be willing to enjoy the stay at this Hotel. I read the reviews before going, but I said, "how bad could it be." Well it was borderline ridiculous. The room stayed in the upper 70's no matter where you set the thermostat. I think the thermostat is a placebo to help you get through the discomfort. We went to Walmart and bought a fan. The bathroom sink did not have a way to drain as most people are used too....I guess to limit running the water too much. I wedged a plastic spoon under the drain cap so the water would drain. Only 3 towels.....we could ask for more, but what a pain. The pool was small and like a bathtub. The pool room was at least in the upper 80's, no breeze, doors would not prop open, dead hot environment. Dirty towels overflowing on the floor and no clean ones on the cart. Ice came in a small plastic wrap bag, enough to fill 1/4 of bucket. You had to go to the lobby to get it. Only 1 was left in the little fridge. No real light in the shower area of the bathroom. Only a smoked glass panel for limited privacy so the bedroom light could shine through. No decor to the rooms. Beds were somewhat comfortable, TV worked fine with cable. I saved a few bucks staying here, minus the 15$ fan I had to buy, but for me It will be the Hampton or Courtyard next time. If it makes you feel good to be green, then this is the place for you. It felt like camping to me though. Did I mention that the dark carpet in the hallways were dirty and needed a vacuum the whole time we were there. Oh well......give up some comfort on vacation and save the environment if you want. Not me after this stay. At least I can say I gave it a try.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room, go to Hampton or Courtyard
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ray S

Dear Ray S,
We are so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel. As you had mentioned Aloft utilizes eco-friendly practices like our optional Make a Green Choice program where guests can choose to decline housekeeping (except day of departure) to help conserve resources. We will share your comments with our engineers to ensure that the thermostat and bathroom drains are in working order. We hope you'll let us make this up to you. Feel free to reach out to me at jay.agustin@aloftchesapeake.com should you wish to discuss your experience further. Take care!