All reviews pool table sliding door lobby area awesome stay the room was nice coffee maker virginia beach staff was friendly sara xyz pet housekeeping mall tile highway stains funeral
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I lived in the Chesapeake area for years and never had a need to get a hotel, but since I recently moved to Charlotte and still visit the area, I knew I needed a place to stay. I had always heard good things about Aloft, so I decided to give it a try this past weekend. The hotel was modern, clean, quiet and had all the amenities I could want. The bathroom and shower was spacious, and although the sliding door to the bathroom did not close 100% of the way, this was not an issue since it was just me in the room. The bed was comfortable, the sheets were fresh, and the flat screen TV mounted on the wall made the room seem even more spacious. The hotel and room did have a European feel to it (as stated by others); it has an Ikea (but better quality) feel to the furniture and décor.

I will undoubtedly be staying here next time I am in town.

The only negative would be that any ice, beverages, or snacks you may want/need have to be retrieved or purchase from the lobby. There are no machines on any of the floors. Also, if you want to use the micro or fridge, be aware that they are both small.

Room tip: Try to stay on the upper floors. The lobby can have a lot of traffic since there is a full service bar on the first floor. The pool and gym are also located there, so staying away from these high-traffic areas will make your stay more enjoyable.
Date of stay: January 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Emily F, Guest Relations Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Hello Matt M,
Thank you for your kind words. We are pleased that you enjoyed your first Aloft experience, and hope to see you again soon. I am glad that you enjoyed the layout and feel of the hotel, and on behalf of the entire hotel team, we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 5 January 2014

This hotel is very unique from my experience. The hotel is straight out of what I have seen in Europe. Everything has a thought out place (even if some of them probably cause guests confusion--such as the hidden ironing board on the far end of the room where no one would ever think to look).

While I enjoyed the room, I have to say that a big downside is that the bathroom door does not close completely. That would not be that big of a deal, but there is not even a fan---hello, privacy! As an older gentleman so wonderfully put it when asked how his stay was on checking out, "it was very interesting. I wouldn't take a bride here, but it was fine for my son and me."

I left feeling positive about this creative hotel but, after having lunch nearby, I realized I had left my favorite pillow at the hotel. Since it was in a brown pillowcase when all the bedding is white, I thought surely someone must have realized that someone had left it. But, when I called, when someone FINALLY answered the phone, I was told that housekeeping had not found anything, despite me being able to tell them my room number.

So, in short, the rate was good and I never heard any other customers, but the combination of the bathroom door (which does not slide closed due to the placement of a screw) and the case of the missing pillow led me to reduce it to three stars.

Date of stay: January 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank EmeraldIsleNCGirl

Hi EmeraldIsleNCGirl,
I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. I’m pleased to hear that you enjoy our Aloft concept and the unique experience it provides. I apologize that you were unable to find your pillow, as I understand the importance. I will pass your note on to the hotel team, and thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Great 5-star hotel, but one simple act of dishonesty ruined it for me. Long story short, I brought in the New Year at this hotel and checked out that Jan. 1 morning from Room 412. I loaded everything in my car except for my backpack and my phone charger which was still plugged into the wall. I left these two items in the room while I went to go check out. Unfortunately, the computers were "moving slow" so it took more time than expected to check out which had me in a rush, and thus so, I grabbed my backpack and headed out for work. I immediately realized I left my charger but was past the point of no return. I called the next day and got the runaround from the front desk who asked me to leave a message with Housekeeping to check Lost & Found the next day. I called the next day, got the runaround again until finally, Will from the front desk comes on and say no one in Housekeeping found anything. Yeah, sure...it's just a Samsung Galaxy smartphone wall charger ($50) that I am 100% sure was left in the room, but honesty and integrity actually mean something to me as it should to any respectable business. I was in Room 412 from Dec. 30 - Jan. 1...no contact from a Guest Relations manager to me yet, so that tells me a lot about this business, and I for one plus many others whom I will influence, do not want any part of such an organization. But to be fair, the rest of the stay and all other services were 5-star quality.

Room tip: Any room here would be good, it is really a 5-star hotel...just don't trust the staff and housekeeping with your belongings.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank Griff111

Hello Griff111,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed our hotel along with its features and amenities, but I am very sorry to hear about your experience with your belongings left behind. I am passing on your feedback to the hotel team, as we aim to prevent any occurrence such as the one you experienced from happening in the future.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

The hotel is dog-friendly, but we had to stay on the first floor because of it. Unfortunately, the first floor rooms are within earshot of the bar and lounge, which seemed to be extremely popuplar the night of our visit. Even with the closed "barrier" door between the lobby area and the hallway to the first floor rooms, it was loud until after midnight when the bar closed. I suppose we could have complained, but we were already settled into our room, and didn't want to be moved to another room, and knew they couldn't exactly tell the people at the bar to be quieter.

Compared to other Aloft hotels, this one looked the same, but wasn't as nice. Other Aloft hotels offer free bottles of water in the rooms (this one didn't), had more pillows (we had 3), and generally just seemed to have better fit and finish (for example, if you turn on the water in the bathroom sink all the way, the water pressure is so high that it splashes all over the floor). One of the light switches is also very utilitarian looking, and has a label that says "master switch." Pretty tacky and not fitting with the vibe of the hotel. Also, in the lobby, there was only the free coffee, and no espresso machine like other Aloft hotels.

The staff was friendly, and it was very affordable. I just think that compared to other hotels in this chain, it wasn't as good. Plus, it was simply too noisy on the first floor.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank USA_Super_Traveler
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with a large group for work and the staff and atmosphere was wonderful!!! Great lobby bar area for visiting and rooms were clean and modern decor. The room layout is a bit different but I really liked it and LOVE that they have all of the Bliss toiletries in the rooms. As part of our group reservation they left each of us a snack in our room and had breakfast brown bagged for us to grab-and-go in the morning. Would definitely stay again! Fabulous service and rooms for the price.

1  Thank Jaguilar24