“Great stay for the price!”
Review of aloft Chesapeake

aloft Chesapeake
Ranked #5 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
virginia beach, va
“Great stay for the price!”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I paid about the same amount as a cheap motel but got so much more than I expected. The staff was very friendly and informative. The room was great (I loved the showers especially)! The amenities were also a little unexpected but a very nice touch to the experience!

The only thing I would change is that I wish that the bath towels were just a little softer, that is literally my only complaint!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Jay_Agustin, Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear vannah4816:

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave such great feedback. We do our very best to deliver the best service possible and happy we succeeded in your case. We'll work on those towels. Thanks, again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 February 2014

My family had a great time. The staff gave us joining rooms that made it convenient for us to keep an eye on the kids. The pool table was a great distraction and the lobby was fun and appealing. A lot of the guests hung out in the lobby which was fun. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed December 2013
Jay_Agustin, General Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear BrendaandReggie:

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave such wonderful feedback. We enjoy the fact that we have such a spacious lobby, we call re:Mix, where our guests have the opportunity to mix, mingle and have such a unique time that you would normally not expect in other establishments. We hope to see you again soon!
Manteo, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Shades do not extend to cover windows so you can see the nearby hotel's windows and you can bet that they can see you when you walk by the windows. Pillows are hard as rocks! Staff could care less about you at check in or check out bc they are too busy chatting with friends/coworkers and/or hanging in the office in the back. Plus staff cannot understand SPG rewards and concept of free nights stay and they will charge your credit card! I caught this and brought it up at check out and was told it would be fixed after I showed the emails from SPG and aloft hotels and gave the confirmation number for my stay...but no, got the credit card bill and they charged me and my points have been deducted for my stay. I should have stayed at the Hilton across the street!

Room Tip: SPG stays on the 5th floor.
1 Thank sweetsugartree
Emily F, Guest Relations Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Hi sweetsugartree,
Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at our hotel and apologize that your stay did not meet expectations. We aim to provide guests with a comfortable and welcoming experience, and I appreciate your comments. I will discuss your story with the hotel team and strive to improve on these aspects moving forward.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I lived in the Chesapeake area for years and never had a need to get a hotel, but since I recently moved to Charlotte and still visit the area, I knew I needed a place to stay. I had always heard good things about Aloft, so I decided to give it a try this past weekend. The hotel was modern, clean, quiet and had all the amenities I could want. The bathroom and shower was spacious, and although the sliding door to the bathroom did not close 100% of the way, this was not an issue since it was just me in the room. The bed was comfortable, the sheets were fresh, and the flat screen TV mounted on the wall made the room seem even more spacious. The hotel and room did have a European feel to it (as stated by others); it has an Ikea (but better quality) feel to the furniture and décor.

I will undoubtedly be staying here next time I am in town.

The only negative would be that any ice, beverages, or snacks you may want/need have to be retrieved or purchase from the lobby. There are no machines on any of the floors. Also, if you want to use the micro or fridge, be aware that they are both small.

Room Tip: Try to stay on the upper floors. The lobby can have a lot of traffic since there is a full service...
Hello Matt M,
Thank you for your kind words. We are pleased that you enjoyed your first Aloft experience, and hope to see you again soon. I am glad that you enjoyed the layout and feel of the hotel, and on behalf of the entire hotel team, we look forward to welcoming you back!
Emerald Isle, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This hotel is very unique from my experience. The hotel is straight out of what I have seen in Europe. Everything has a thought out place (even if some of them probably cause guests confusion--such as the hidden ironing board on the far end of the room where no one would ever think to look).

While I enjoyed the room, I have to say that a big downside is that the bathroom door does not close completely. That would not be that big of a deal, but there is not even a fan---hello, privacy! As an older gentleman so wonderfully put it when asked how his stay was on checking out, "it was very interesting. I wouldn't take a bride here, but it was fine for my son and me."

I left feeling positive about this creative hotel but, after having lunch nearby, I realized I had left my favorite pillow at the hotel. Since it was in a brown pillowcase when all the bedding is white, I thought surely someone must have realized that someone had left it. But, when I called, when someone FINALLY answered the phone, I was told that housekeeping had not found anything, despite me being able to tell them my room number.

So, in short, the rate was good and I never heard any other customers, but the combination of the bathroom door (which does not slide closed due to the placement of a screw) and the case of the missing pillow led me to reduce it to three stars.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank EmeraldIsleNCGirl
Hi EmeraldIsleNCGirl,
I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. I’m pleased to hear that you enjoy our Aloft concept and the unique experience it provides. I apologize that you were unable to find your pillow, as I understand the importance. I will pass your note on to the hotel team, and thank you again for staying with us.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Great 5-star hotel, but one simple act of dishonesty ruined it for me. Long story short, I brought in the New Year at this hotel and checked out that Jan. 1 morning from Room 412. I loaded everything in my car except for my backpack and my phone charger which was still plugged into the wall. I left these two items in the room while I went to go check out. Unfortunately, the computers were "moving slow" so it took more time than expected to check out which had me in a rush, and thus so, I grabbed my backpack and headed out for work. I immediately realized I left my charger but was past the point of no return. I called the next day and got the runaround from the front desk who asked me to leave a message with Housekeeping to check Lost & Found the next day. I called the next day, got the runaround again until finally, Will from the front desk comes on and say no one in Housekeeping found anything. Yeah, sure...it's just a Samsung Galaxy smartphone wall charger ($50) that I am 100% sure was left in the room, but honesty and integrity actually mean something to me as it should to any respectable business. I was in Room 412 from Dec. 30 - Jan. 1...no contact from a Guest Relations manager to me yet, so that tells me a lot about this business, and I for one plus many others whom I will influence, do not want any part of such an organization. But to be fair, the rest of the stay and all other services were 5-star quality.

Room Tip: Any room here would be good, it is really a 5-star hotel...just don't trust the staff and housek...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Griff111
Hello Griff111,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed our hotel along with its features and amenities, but I am very sorry to hear about your experience with your belongings left behind. I am passing on your feedback to the hotel team, as we aim to prevent any occurrence such as the one you experienced from happening in the future.
USA
Reviewed 30 December 2013

The hotel is dog-friendly, but we had to stay on the first floor because of it. Unfortunately, the first floor rooms are within earshot of the bar and lounge, which seemed to be extremely popuplar the night of our visit. Even with the closed "barrier" door between the lobby area and the hallway to the first floor rooms, it was loud until after midnight when the bar closed. I suppose we could have complained, but we were already settled into our room, and didn't want to be moved to another room, and knew they couldn't exactly tell the people at the bar to be quieter.

Compared to other Aloft hotels, this one looked the same, but wasn't as nice. Other Aloft hotels offer free bottles of water in the rooms (this one didn't), had more pillows (we had 3), and generally just seemed to have better fit and finish (for example, if you turn on the water in the bathroom sink all the way, the water pressure is so high that it splashes all over the floor). One of the light switches is also very utilitarian looking, and has a label that says "master switch." Pretty tacky and not fitting with the vibe of the hotel. Also, in the lobby, there was only the free coffee, and no espresso machine like other Aloft hotels.

The staff was friendly, and it was very affordable. I just think that compared to other hotels in this chain, it wasn't as good. Plus, it was simply too noisy on the first floor.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family