“Neat property”
Review of aloft Chesapeake

aloft Chesapeake
Ranked #5 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Really liked the feel of the hotel and entire property. The room was very nice compared to other hotel properties. Loved the shower. The light in the bathroom was out when we got there but it was replaced while we were out to dinner. Hung out at the bar for a long time and the bartender (Terri?) was fantastic.

Two minor complaints. Longish check-in (never understand why there is only one person at a hotel check-in late afternoons on a weekend) and our room was on the second floor right above the entrance to the hotel. We could hear the front doors opening and closing each time they moved. It wasn't bad, just minorly annoying.

We've already decided to give it another go the next time we are in town.

Room Tip: Try to not get rooms on second floor above entrance as you can hear the front doors opening and clos...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for aloft Chesapeake

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Love the location when flying in at night before driving to the OBX in the morning. Front desk staff was kind of attentive but they spent most of their time with each other. Went to the bar after dinner and the bartender couldn't have been less interested even though we were her only customers. Since the bartenders attitude was so off putting, we decided to get a night cap and head for our room...big no-no I guess. The F&B manager chased us o the elevator screaming that it was against ABC laws to take our drinks to the room. While I have stayed in hundreds of hotels and never run into this issue, I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that that actually is the law, which I certainly wouldn't want to jeopardize their liquor license. The problem I had was being yelled at like a errant third grader. I am 50 years old and a simple "sir, I am sorry but you can't take drinks to your room" would have been sufficient. A sign anywhere in the bar or lobby or elevator would also have been helpful. Staying at another SPG property on our way home, also in VA, I asked the bartender if it was against the law to take a cocktail to the room and her reply was "of course not". Again happy to follow the law, but I won't be back because of the rudeness of the staff.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank skierguy13
Emily F, Guest Relations Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Hi skierguy13,
Thank you for your review. I apologize for any sort of unprofessionalism you experienced, as we take pride in providing a warm and welcoming environment for all guests in addition to an excellent night’s sleep. I'm sorry that your visit did not meet expectations. I shared your note with the rest of the hotel team, as we take your feedback very seriously.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

My boyfriend, myself and our dog spent this past weekend at the aloft hotel in Chesapeake Virginia. When we arrived late Friday evening the staff at the front desk was more into talking to each other than helping us. While we were standing there waiting for them to check us in (both of us had our hands full and this boy was taking his time) another guest called the desk complaining about a maintenance problem, he told the guest they'd been very busy and the maintenance man would be there when he could. Little did the guest know the maintenance man was standing right there at the front desk keeping the desk clerk entertained. When the clerk hung up the phone he told his friend the maintenance man that when ever he wanted to he should go up to room blah blah blah and see what they want. The maintenance man said I'll get to it when I get to it. After this ordeal we were finally checked in and went to our room, since we are members we were on the 5th floor thank god, because the "bar" downstairs plays music so loud you can hear it on the 3rd floor. Once we got to our room all was well, the room was clean, we had everything we needed. My only complaint about the room is the "covers" are sheets only there's not even a comforter on the bed so it's quite cold at night unless you turn your heat on. When I reserved our room I was told by the booking agent at ALOFT that there would be treats available for my dog daily. When I asked about this program at the front desk, I was told "We don't got none of that. You're lucky we let your dogs in." Also when I was outside with my dog there was feces everywhere, maybe because all of the dog poop bag dispensers were empty. Overall my room was what I needed it to be for the weekend, but the customer service and "bar area" would deter me from ever staying here again or at another aloft hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Darien R
Emily F, Guest Relations Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Hi Darien R,
I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We take reviews very seriously and use these notes to improve experiences for guests moving forward. I am sorry that your stay did not meet expectations and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

My family and I (my parents, sisters and boyfriend) stayed overnight at the Aloft for one night on our journey to the outer banks. We had 2 dogs (chocolate lab and a morkie) so we needed a pet friendly hotel. It was the perfect location, right in a shopping center with restaurants abound and a near by liquor store with a great selection. The rooms were perfect: clean, spacious and equipped with a mini fridge. The staff was VERY friendly and accommodating. Everyone loved and welcomed the dogs. The pool was down for the night but they offered the neighboring hotel's pool if we wanted to use it. Overall, our expectations were surpassed and we would definitely stay again.

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank akdjd13

Hi akdjd13,
Thank you very much for your review. I’m happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay at Aloft Chesapeake. We look forward to welcoming you back with your four-legged friends!

Reviewed 21 March 2014

The desk staff were delightful, helpful, friendly, and the rooms are stylish and modern. The location is close to the airport, close to a shopping mall with many dining options, movies. Loved the hotel.l

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Amber70
Emily F, Guest Relations Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Hi Amber70,
Thank you for your review. I’m pleased to hear that you were able to interact with our warm and helpful team, enjoy the comfortable room, and take advantage of our convenient location. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Stayed at the Aloft Hotel in Chesapeake VA for the first time. It was a comfortable stay and the staff was very accommodating and helpful. I would not recommend staying in a room near the lobby however as it was a little loud during the happy hour time. I was very impressed with the beautiful tiled shower stall and the modern feel the room had. All in all we were very pleased and may visit again in the near future.

Room Tip: I would not recommend the first floor as the lobby was buzzing with activity from the bar and pool t...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 March 2014

STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL!!!!!! My room was booked through a credit card and I was told that they could not find the reservation. After the credit card company called as well as the corporate office of the hotel the guy would not give me a room without my paying again.
Incompetent worker and manager that was very busy talking in the lounge to help. There were five people waiting to check in and two of us had prepaid but they wouldn't give a room to either of us. He constantly stopped helping people checking in to sell cakes and goodies to what appeared to be his friends. I will never stay at any starwood hotel again.

Room Tip: go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank abbywOuterBanksNC
Jay A, General Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear abbywOuterBanksNC:

I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your feedback. Our goal is to exceed our guest's expectations. I apologize for the inconvenience that you encountered as there were apparent shortfalls. We will analyze these comments and address accordingly. Thank you, again, for this much important feedback.