“Nice hotel - Second Floor Hallway Needed Cleaning”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #23 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Reviewed 2 August 2012

On July 21, 2012 while attending a Family Reunion, I stayed at the Comfort Inn & Suites, 3355 S Military Highway in Chesapeake, Virginia. The hotel was hard to reach physically due to a bridge under construction. I had to call the hotel about 10 times for directions. Finally, I got on the right course and arrived at the front door. The front door was not very inviting (i.e. clean) but once inside the front desk clerk was nice. I was given a room on the second floor. The hotel was in a good location. I was able aftter 11 p.m. to WALK across the street to the drive in of McDonalds and felt safe. Yes, I walked through the drive in (laugh out loud). When I returned to the hotel, I got on the elevator to take my food to the room. Upon exiting the elevator, I noticed several items on the carpet that apparently may have been dropped by patrons. It was apparent that no one was on duty to clean up the elevator entrance, thus it becomes our responsibility as patrons to clean up after ourselves (smile). Once I reached my room, I was pleased. The bathroom and sleeping quarters were clean. The air conditioner worked. The next morning, breakfast was tasty (hot breakfast - sausage, yogurt, waffles, etc). The Business Center was not too convenient, it only had ONE computer and a gentleman was using it thus I had to wait until he finished. The printer was behind the front desk which was not convenient for me. The furniture in the lobby had stains thus I did not feel comfortable sitting while the computer was being used by another patron. The Front Desk Manager was friendly. The hotel was almost full with patrons which is a good sign. Overall, I would stay here again because the room was fine, just the lobby furniture and outside the second floor elevator needed to be cleaner.

1  Thank J T
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn & Suites

Reviewed 30 July 2012

The Owners don't give a rip about their custromers. They just want you to pay, sleep, and get out. The front desk could care less about you. Customer service is non existent. The whole place could use a good scrubbing.

I’m not a picky traveler, as long as my hotel is clean I don’t really complain much. But this hotel had the worst customer service I’ve ever experienced. Let me start off with saying that my room was okay, but not the best. It looked clean but there were rips in my pillow cases and when we put the bar of soap down in the bathroom a bunch of small hairs stuck to it (from someone else’s shavings? Gross.) We arrived early so I called the hotel to see if we could check in before 4:00. I was told our room was not ready and check in would be at 4:00. Okay, no problem we’ll just wait in the lobby for an hour or so. It was more HOW I was told. No “I’m sorry your room is not ready” or “We will try to get someone on it as soon as we can” just plain and simple “Your room is not ready, check in is at 4:00” in a not so nice tone. Okay, I’ll write that off to someone having a bad day. The attendant was checking me in and someone walked up with a questions and she proceeded to stop checking me in and help the guy who had just walked up. In the midst of listening to his issue someone else walked up and she ignored me and the first guy and asked what the other guy “wanted”. Not a “can I help you?” or anything like that (all the while I’m just standing there waiting for her to come back to me) We had a pull out couch in our room and instead of the bedding being placed in the room, a trash bag with sheets in it was tossed on the check in counter. And an abrupt “Here’s your stuff” followed. While waiting an hour in the lobby, I heard SEVERAL complaints about the condition of the laundry room before I even got out of the lobby. The Elevator was GRIMEY and lets just say Breakfast was lacking. The lobby could use some more tables for breakfast. (only 4 tables of 4) but that’s just a side note. … when I called the first time all I heard was yelling in the background and a comment about calling the police and kicking someone out (should have been my first red flag). When we were waiting for our room to be available there were at least 4 different people who came to the counter to complain about different issues with their rooms. (all of whom I noted were not treated with proper customer service). Our second room apparently was never put on the cleaning list for that day so the maintenance man had to clean our room because the maid had already left for the day. (probably why there were hairs all over the sink?) Worst customer service I’ve ever had at a hotel and I’ll never stay there again simply because of that.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here.
2  Thank SRIndy15
Comfortinnandsuitesc, Webmaster at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Thanks for staying at the Comfort Inn and the review.

We are investigating the issue you have mentioned, but our apologies for the same however unlikely it may be.

All hotel staff has been rigorously trained for guest relations.

We shall take up actions for improving the customer relation skills of our staff and also the amenities.

We believe that’s only way to improve.

You are always welcome to stay with us and we will offer you the best hospitality.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

Booked here for a last-minute Virginia Beach vacation over July 4th Weekend. Hotel accomodations were fine - room was clean though a tad worn for a relatively new place. Desk/reception staff was very pleasant. The neighborhood left a lot to be desired - it was industrial and run down with shopping and resturantes over 5 minutes drive away near Portsmouth or down towards the malls on the way to Virginia Beach. It was also over 30 minutes drive to the beach from the hotel. Next time I'm in the area, I'll spend the extra $20 more a night and get a place in a better location and I'd reccomend the same to others, unless you are specifically visiting someone in that part of town.

Thanks for staying at the Comfort Inn and the review.

We are glad that you liked the rooms and our hospitality.

We shall look into your recommendation and improve the same.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights during Dynamic Baseball tournament and it felt like 300 nights. The hotel is horribly maintained. The front desk people are nice enough but the owners of this property don't seem to care about guests or that nothing worked in this hotel.
The surrounding area is not great either and there is nothing in way of real food or shopping nearby. Be prepared to drive or live on fast food during your stay.

1  Thank anothertournament

Thanks for staying at the Comfort Inn and the review.

We are investigating the issue you have mentioned and our apologies for the same however unlikely it may be.

We shall take actions on each of the points observed.

We believe that’s only way to improve.

Glad that the front desk staff could serve you nicely.

Reviewed 20 June 2012

This looks like a very new hotel in Chesapeake VA. This hotel is in a bit older more industrial part of town it seems, and there is an older run down hotel that is adjacent that can be a bit concerning but it ended up not being a big deal. There are not a ton of shopping options close by which is one downside to this hotel.. The hotel lobby is super clean and the staff is very nice and friendly as well. The room was very clean and comfortable, and had a nice flat screen TV. It was a good price as well, the quality of the room is something you could expect for a more expensive hotel. The only one issue is its a bit far away from things, but as long as that isn't a big deal its a great hotel. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank USFBowler
Reviewed 15 June 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights and were very pleased with the cleanliness of the room and the friendliness of the staff. Will definitely plan to stay again when visiting family in the area. Large room with microwave, fridge, large flat screen TV. Grocery store within a half mile and fast food across the street. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank RodJ297
Reviewed 25 November 2011

We had a pleasant one night stay. The staff that we encountered was extremely nice, accommodating and customer oriented. The updated property looked clean with nice finishes. However, upon closer inspection, the new fixtures, furniture and finish were of a poor quality for a high traffic establishment. Furniture, fixtures and trim in our room were already taking a beating and in need of repair/replacement. The caulking around the tub was already black with mold. These poor choices to save money will cost more in the long run. Will probably stay again next time we are in the area and hope that this Comfort Inn will prove me wrong!

Room Tip: Ask for a room located away from the pool. The chlorine is strong and the kids can be a little loud...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple