“Incredible Value! Incredible Service!”

WoodSpring Suites Chesapeake-Norfolk South
Ranked #15 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Chesapeake
“Incredible Value! Incredible Service!”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I have been staying at Value Place for over 2 months. I have been so pleasantly surprised by Value Place. It is so nice to have a stove and full refrigerator rather than just a microwave. The facility is immaculate and quiet. I have not experienced any drama which makes me very comfortable. Teri and Laura have been especially courteous attentive and going above and beyond to assist me when I have needed it. All of the staff seeks to find out if you need anything. I will be here another month! Definitely worth the value! Kudos !!!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Jamesscott11
WoodSpringHotels, Public Relations Manager at WoodSpring Suites Chesapeake-Norfolk South, responded to this review, 18 May 2016
Thank you, James, for staying with WoodSpring Hotels and sharing your experience. We hope to see you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I spent 2 weeks at this Value Place and I absolutely enjoyed it. The staff was very friendly and the room was so ridiculously clean and well maintained that I was SHOCKED. And I stay at 4 and 5 star hotels mostly. This was my first time at a Value Place and I was apprehensive.

Room Tip: Get 2 beds or a bed and a sleeper sofa because the beds are kind of small, especially if there are 2...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rick F
We are happy to hear during your extended stay with us, you were pleasantly surprised. That is always our goal. Thank you, Rick.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I'm in week #9 of my stay here and they just, this past week, upgraded the internet. And when I say upgraded I mean UPGRADED. I've now had it for a few days and I can honestly say this is the fastest internet you will find in any hotel and probably faster than 99% of you have at home. They also added wi-fi now and it's blazing fast as well. Just to give you an idea of the speed:

Wired:
Before: 150ms+ ping, 1mbps download, .05mbs upload
After: 15ms ping, 43mbps download, 6mbps upload

Wireless:
Before: N/A
After: 34ms ping, 11.62mbps download, 4.78mbps upload

As you can see this is near FIOS speeds, if not faster than FIOS in some cases, so the weakness I mentioned before about avoid staying here if you are an internet junkie has now been turned into a plus.

The only other main issue now is the bed. They are in the process of upgrading their beds but honestly I don't think the bed is as bad as I made it out to be when I first got here. I think my back mostly hurt from sitting in the actual computer chair. Or perhaps the fact I spent $50 at Kohls and got a foam mattress support alleviated it. Either way I don't have any issues with the beds anymore.

There is no reason for anyone to stay anywhere else than this place now in my opinion. It's by far the best value you are going to get for your money. I can wholeheartedly recommend it and if I am back in this area it will be the first place I go to make my reservation.

And yes, the $9.95 per week now for internet if really worth it now. And I really appreciate the fact that management took my (and other customers complaints) about the internet and lack of wi-fi seriously and rectified the problem. That shows they LISTEN to their customers and that's fantastic in this day and age! Great job Value Place!!

Room Tip: Go for third floor away from the elevator.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Heather L, Guest Relations Manager at WoodSpring Suites Chesapeake-Norfolk South, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
I am so pleased that you are enjoying our new high speed internet! We are upgrading most of our properties this summer. We do listen to our guests and try to provide them the best service possible. I really hope you consider Value Place as your lodging provider in all of your future travels.
Reviewed 21 May 2013

My husband and I checked in to this location last Tuesday and the staff was helpful. The room was clean and it was pretty quiet. I felt safe. Overall it's a nice place to stay temporarily (maybe 1 or 2 weeks if you must) but can get pricey. The only negative in my opinion was the $100 deposit charged to my debit card during check-in that was refunded and still has not posted in my account yet. I was under the impression that it would be posted directly back to my account upon check out but was advised by Value Place staff that it's my bank and not them. So apparently I need to wait 3-5 business days to see my deposit refunded. Such BS in my opinion that a $100 deposit needed to even be charged in the first place.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank sc0rpio2105
Heather L, Guest Relations Manager at WoodSpring Suites Chesapeake-Norfolk South, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Thank you for your comments. I understand your frustration about the deposit. We are required to refund the deposit in the same currency we collected it. Unfortunately with debit and credit cards that means that it can take 3 - 5 business days for the money to actually show up. We process the refund right away but the credit card company takes several additional days to process it.
Cedar point
Reviewed 12 January 2013

I'm not sure where to begin....I travel frequently and thought I'd save the govt some money by staying here instead of a respectable hotel, but all I got was headaches. I'll start with saying the two front desk clerks were very nice, but their hands were tied and they constantly had to ask the property manager to do anything. the property manager should be fired. She was extremely rude, inconsiderate, and was aggressive over the phone, and actually hung up on me, when all I wanted to do was explain my situation. The property manager actually told me over the phone she was not the manager, and that the manager would be from 9-5, when I asked her name, she said this is "so and so". Turns out "so and so" is the property mananger. Well I filled a formal complaint with corporate headquarters and talked to the regional manager face to face a few days later and she was very nice and understanding. If the property manager is going to treat me, an active duty marine with that type of unwarranted hostility, I don't even want to know how she talks to a single parent down on their luck looking for a place to stay. The only good thing about this place is it is cheap. But it's not worth it. It smells bad, they have fees for everything and don't even tell you about it, they just charge your card, and as the manger told me, they are only available to handle problems between 9-5 so you can kiss customer service goodbye. Additionally...the beds are a mattress on plywood, the walls are paper thin and you can hear everything, they don't trust you with lamps and the lighting is terrible, people cook and it smells like a kitchen 24/7. Avoid this place at all costs! I will never stay at this establishment again, and do not recommend it my active duty brothers and sisters as well as anyone else. Spend the couple extra bucks and get treated fairly and with some shred of respect somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
7 Thank LenN_13
Len, I apologize you had a negative experience during your stay. We do hope speaking with the regional manager helped to some degree. We wish you well and thank you for your service.
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I stay at hotels roughly 15 weekends a year, andt he room was the most impeccably clean I can ever remember walking into: Not a speck
of dust anywhere, and no lingering pungent sprays that are often used to cover up poor housekeeping and smoking guests. That's especially hard to pull off in a room with a refrigerator and stove.

Room furnishings are geared toward efficiency. The bed was firm (good) and the pillows thin (not). There was a small dining table and four seats. All the lighting was ceiling based (no floor or table lamps) and used energy-efficient fluorescent daylight bulbs, all of which was disconcerting at first but I got used to it over my week's stay. I was a bit puzzled by the absence of plates, glassware, utensils, and cooking equipment. And an earlier reviewer is correct that you can pick these things up at Walmart for about a third of what the hotel charges to rent them. While I am sure that providing these items free would drive up the cost of a room (I'll bet many of them would disappear with guests), it does seem inconvenient for guests to have to buy them, then pack or discard them at the end of their stay.

The internet connection is reliable, inexpensive ($10 a week) and reasonably fast, but know that it is NOT a wireless connection, it's an (old fashioned) Ethernet connection. The hotel was quick to get me an Ethernet cable when I let them know I didn't have one, but you might want to pack your own if you are booking a stay here.

The staff is exceedingly friendly to their guests. When I met the manager on the first
morning of my stay, she said, "Oh, hi, ...I remember talking with you on the phone when you booked your reservation!" Especially impressive when you consider I booked it four months earlier.
Several times during the first day, I walked up to the front desk somewhat frustrated because I'd been unable to connect to the Internet and I had business deadlines to meet. A staff member handed me an email from their service's support team received suggesting things I could try. When those didn't work, the manager proactively came down to my room, picked up my laptop, and solved the problem herself so that I could quickly get to work

Over the next week or so, I had nothing but positive interactions with the rest of the front desk staff, maintenance tech, and housekeeping. Without fail, I found them pleasant, helpful, and eager to make my stay as much like home as they possibly could. A weary traveler can't hope for more than that, even at a four-star facility!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Geoff C
We are glad to hear you were pleasantly surprised after staying with WoodSpring Hotels. We hope you will stay with us again and will continued to be surprised.
Rockland, Maine
Reviewed 28 August 2012

My three children and I stayed here for a week in August. Based on all the reviews, this was a reasonable and affordable place to stay while we visited our friends. During our very first night, I knew it was going to be a rough stay.

First of all, the pros. The staff is very nice and accommodating, and friendly.

Now to the cons. And there are a lot of them. First off... the walls are so paper thin, you can hear every single word your neighbors are saying. We had a double bed room on the first floor and you could hear the elevator every time it went up and down. You could hear everything our extremely loud neighbors were saying.

The office doesn't open until 10am, and closes at 10pm except for weekends, and the times they decide to close early. Trying to find a staff member to speak to during times we were actually in the hotel was difficult. Our neighbors arrived back nightly around 11, partied until 1 or 2 in the morning, with their children screaming, the tv blaring and their loud conversations waking up everyone in our room.

Not even the air conditioner could drown them out because it was constantly on and then off. On off. It would not stay consistently on.

I asked to be changed, no extra rooms.

Two beds... four people... two towels.

Take our your own trash to the dumpster.

Don't go outside late at night because there are men loitering in the parking lot at all hours of the night. For a woman traveling by herself with young children, this is of great concern.

There was an ant superhighway going through my room. I took pictures. No one seemed to concerned. We had to wear shoes because they bit. There were also roaches on the counter. I got up in the middle of the night for a drink, flipped on the light, and six roaches scrammed for the burners in the stove. I only managed to get one of the buggers.

I was able to go to walmart and buy a complete set of dishes AND a coffee pot for a third of the cost they were selling them. You'd think, for an extended stay hotel with kitchenettes, they would supply dishes to cook with, which brings me to another point. Whatever your neighbors are having for dinner, you are having, too, because the smell will permeate everything in your room. Although we didn't eat there, our room smelled of raman and curry every night when we returned.

We did not have maid service or towel service, yet we were charged for it. They also tried to charge me a hundred dollars more than what I was quoted when I booked. Its a good thing I brought my original conformation paperwork with me.

The beds. I have never slept on a mattress so hard and uncomfortable that I actually hurt waking up in the morning. I looked forward to getting out of the bed.

Over all, I am so glad I brought extra pillows, towels, and everything else I thought I might need during our week here. I will not ever ever be returning to this place. I will gladly pay the extra cost for a "real" hotel, with room cleaning, fresh (and enough) towels for everyone, and the feeling of security and that I'm not alone. Not having someone at a desk of help is needed is really discomforting.

Value Place FAIL.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank surfergirl602
It is good to know you enjoyed our staff during your stay. However, I apologize the rest of your stay didn't meet your expectations.