“Horrible Mildew Smell”

Ranked #37 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
NJ
“Horrible Mildew Smell”
Reviewed 12 August 2010

I am a marriott rewards member and every time we travel to Virginia Beach area we stay at a marriott hotel...Customer service is great, the pool area is great as wel, but the rooms have a horrible mildew smell as soon as I walked into the room we couldnt breathe and I call the front desk and they change my room right away the second room same issue but not as strong so I called and they didnt have any rooms available to switch me again so we stayed in that room being that we were gone all day and just had the room to sleep in, I purchased candles and air freshners to cover up the smell and it worked, on the second night we all had a sore throat and runny noses from the mildew smell...the furniture was very old and had stains, I always stayed at a courtyard or fairfield inn and thats what I will continue to stay, Please dont waste your money in this hotel full of mold.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Michellee0315

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Somerville, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Can't leave 3 and a half star review, so I'll be nice and up it to 4. We were at this hotel for 4 days. Overall it's a nice, quiet hotel. Contrary to a few older reviews I've read, the hotel's only a mile away from several malls, restaurants, and large shopping plazas, so it's very convenient. It's also only around 20 minutes from VA Beach. Yes, the room was a little on the old school side (tube TVs, older furniture) but it was more than adequate--didn't do down there to watch TV anyway!

My issue was with the customer service of the front desk and cleaning staff. Very friendly, heart-warming smiles, and could charm your pants off in a conversation. Alas, they were a tad too forgetful. If they promised to bring it up, they never would, so I'd wind up getting what we needed from the desk. One night I called asking for towels, and after an hour or so of waiting wound up just going to get them from the desk myself. Same thing happened the next day when asking for kitchen supplies. Overall it's probably not a great way to gain a repeat customer.

The cleaning service did a poor job though. The only reason we knew the room had even been touched was because the used towels and garbage were gone. Room wasn't really picked up or vacuumed, and they barely even made the bed! After that, we left the Do not Disturb sign up and got our own towels and supplies.

I'd recommend this place because the plusses outweighed the minuses. However, I'd stay there again after a year or so, hoping that they may have a new cleaning staff and guest service hosts with a better memory. Other than those minor inconveniences, I enjoyed the hotel itself.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 July 2010

Nice place for the money!!! The staff is very nice and any issue is quickly resolved. My mattress was uncomfortable and they quickly brought me another one when i called the front desk. I got anything i asked for within mns of calling the front desk. I m very difficult when it comes to hotels but i liked it. They provide you paper towels, diswasher soap, flatware.......even laundry soap for free

• Stayed August 2010
GMTPS, General Manager at Studios 4 Less, responded to this review, 27 July 2010
We thank you for your recent review of our TownePlace Suites by Marriott in Chesapeake, Virginia. We are glad you enjoyed some of our guest room amenities like paper towels, flatware, laundry soap and the excellent staff service that you experienced during your stay.

On behalf of the staff at the TownePlace Suites by Marriott Chesapeake, we look forward to your return visit. During your next stay with us, please take advantage of wonderful outdoor pool and exercise room.

At your service,

Dee Muff
Jackson, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 July 2010

Stayed in a 2BR suite overnight on a stop over from the Northeast to the Outer Banks. Room was nice, the furniture was a bit dated and the carpet was very dark. Beds were very comfortable. Overall a good stay and would go again.
Pros:
Check in was quick and efficient.
Grab and Go breakfast was enough for our appeties – cereal bars, granola bars, dry cereal, instant oatmeal, whole fruit, fruit cups, juices, milk and coffee/tea.
Outdoor gazebo was good for breakfast and dinner.
Pool was a perfect size and a good temperature.
Front desk staff very courteous and willing to help.
Housekeeping staff was excellent and offered to help. One housekeeper went to get me a port-a-crib right away (complete with brand new sheet and cover) and another housekeeper tracked down a luggage cart for my use.
Cons:
Calls to the front desk required letting the phone to ring for quite a long time.
Needed to call maintenance due to the TV letting off smoke, TV was replaced but the response time was very long.
Pool doesn’t open until 10AM because maintenance person has to check levels of chemical and he doesn’t get in until 9 AM.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank IIMFD
Thank you for your feedback about your stay at our TownePlace Suites by Marriott in Chesapeake, Virginia. We really appreciate you sharing your experience with us both pros and cons. The hotel staff is working extremely hard to make improvements to our hotel. Our goal is to be the best hotel in the brand!

We hope you will return to our TownePlace Suites by Marriott in Chesapeake on your next visit to the Outer Banks. You may contact me by calling (757) 523-5004 and I will personally make your reservation.

At your service,

Dee Muff
Houston, TX
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We spent 10 day in June 2009 in the Virginia/North Carolina area. We stayed at the Marriott Townplace Suites in Chesapeake, VA. Since there were three adults we needed a suite with two bedrooms, so this place was ideal. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff was gracious and most helpful. During our stay in the area we visited many places including Nags Head, Norfolk, Williamsburg, Yorktown, and Richmond. Jamestown, however, was by far our favorite. We had the most fun there and plan to return again one day.

GMTPS, General Manager at Studios 4 Less, responded to this review, 2 February 2010
We appreciate your feedback. Our staff strives to be the best TownePlace Suites by Marriott in the brand. Our goal is to provide a room that is clean and comfortable that reflects the highest quality standards in addition to the most excellent service.

Again, thank you for your wonderful comments! We hope you choose to stay with us again during your next visit to the Virginia/North Carolina area.

Montverde, Florida
Reviewed 9 September 2009

I cannot express how terrible this motel experience was. I called for directions as we were driving in. The phone rang and rang with no answer. I called back and got the recording and then disconnected. Upon check in with our infant and toddler, I was told that the crib I had "reserved" for our infant to sleep in was not available. (even though it was reserved, I was told cribs were first come, first serve!) Our room was dirty to the point of finding dog feces on the floor. The corner of the sofa had major damage (at first I thought it was wear, but it was evidently chewed by the same dog). The shower had a large crack in it and mold (my husband even commented about the mold). One of the beds was directly under the stairwell for the building. There was loud stomping until well after midnight and it resumed around 5AM. It sounded like bowling balls being dropped above my head. The next day, the breakfast bar was not available at all. We were told that the delivery truck failed to arrive at 5AM that morning. We were told we could take whatever we wanted from the remaining items (I told the last bottled water and a bag of cookies). You would think that Marriott would allow the management to run to a local store and buy some basic items at 5:30 AM when the truck didn't arrive, rather than offering nothing. The manager assured us he would address the issue of the dirty room with housekeeping, and we were offered a discount on the room price. Marriott sent me an e-mail survey about my stay, and I replied with the above info, but never heard back. Major service failure in my book. I would never, ever stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
GMTPS, General Manager at Studios 4 Less, responded to this review, 3 February 2010
Thank you for bringing to our attention your dissatisfaction with our TownePlace Suites by Marriott hotel. Your feedback is incredibly important to us.

I want to personally apologize for all the problems you and your family experienced during your stay. Your comments have been discussed with our management staff and actions were taken so this does not happen again.

Our entire staff is working tirelessly to make improvements in our service, quality, and cleanliness of our hotel. Although we failed you once, we hope you will give us another opportunity to show you that we can do better. I can assure you that your next stay with TownePlace Suites will be a more satisfying experience!

Hospitably,

NC
Reviewed 14 July 2009

We stayed at TownePlace Suites, while visiting colleges in Virginia, with 17-yr old daughter. The first impression was a good one, with the staff members offering a smile and a friendly greeeting as soon as we walked in the door. It also didn't hurt that, after inquiring as to whether there were any Studio suites with 2 beds, they arranged to give us a complimentary upgrade to a 2-BR suite. This made for a much more comfortable visit.

As the Marriott website indicates, the TownePlace Suites is closer to a condiminium than a typical hotel room. Each room has a Kitchen/Cooking area, and a Sitting area, in addition to the sleeping accomodations. Am not able to quite agree with the previous poster who described it as "New and Modern". It does not appear to be brand-new, by any means, but the grounds seem to be well-maintained, and everything in the room appeared to be clean and functional. It is not a problem for us, if an establishment is a few years old, so long as it has been well kept-up, with proper maintenance and cleaning, and the TownePlace Suites certainly met this criteria.

The room was a non-smoking (as is the entire complex) and there was no trace ot smells or smoke, so all of the previous guests appear to have been civilized folks, who didn't pollute the furnishings. The establishment is far enough the main highway, so as to be reasonably quiet at most times.

Overall, we were please with the courtesy and friendliness of the staff, and with the overall experience, and would recommend the Towneplace Suites to anyone else. A good value for the price.

Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
We really do appreciate your fantastic comments regarding our TownePlace Suites by Marriott hotel! We would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to be your home away from home while you were visiting colleges in Virginia. We hope that you choose to stay with us again if you return to the Hampton Roads area.

Again, thank you for the amazing feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!