“What an improvement”

Ranked #23 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Washington
“What an improvement”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

When I started my search for a hotel in that area during June, the reviews were pretty bad for this hotel. But, since the hotel is located in the perfect location I went ahead and made reservations for September, hoping a couple of disgruntled reviewers just needed an axe to grind. Upon check-in, I was totally surprised by the friendly staff. I found the room spacious, clean and totally adequate. All the smoking rooms are located on one floor,keeping the odor away from the other guests. I don't smoke, but the spouse does. The hallway had the smoke smell but the room did not. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Red light camera at Gum Rd. and Portsmouth Blvd. Beware!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Christy M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chesapeake, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear Ronald P,
Thank you so much for taking the time to rate your stay with us! We are so greatful that you decided to come stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Chesapeake. I'm proud we could meet your expectations. We strive to go above & beyond for each of our guest's stay. We look forward to having you again soon. Safe travels!
Sincerley,
Christy Morgan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Connecticut
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed on the first floor, king suite. Rooms were a bit snug, but overall, more than acceptable. Furnishings are typical of this grade of hotel.

Staff was always pleasant, and even outgoing -- I don't think we ever walked past the front desk without the clerk calling out a greeting to us!

DH used the indoor pool, and said it was clean, and well maintained.

Complimentary breakfast seemed to have a broad array of options, but when we were there, it seemed crowded, confused, people were kinda pushy and rude trying to get to the food, and indeed, many items were depleted. Not sure if this is typical, or was just that weekend. Maybe a longer breakfast service would alleviate the crowding?

• Stayed August 2012
Hamilton,On
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Check inn was easy. Room was clean. Later that night we asked for 2 extra towels and was told by Drew at the front desk to come down and get it. She's the only one at the desk and can't leave. The attitude was abrupt and rude.

Breakfast was the usual adequate fare of western omelettes, boiled eggs, cereal, biscuits and gravy, muffins , cinnamon buns, juice etc.pancake maker was broken.No microwave to warm up boiled eggs or warm milk for your cereal . Morning front desk staff friendly and helpful. The pool was clean and enjoyable.

If you are on an extended stay and have to use the Washing machine, the old top loader eviscerates ones clothes.
Overall a very enjoyable stay

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank elcycad
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chesapeake, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear elcycad,

Thank you for your review of our property. It is delightful to know that you had a smooth check in experience and the breakfast served was adequate for your needs. However, I apologize that the reception staff's service was a disappointment. We take all feedback seriously and your review will help us improve on our efforts.

Hopefully, the next time you are in the area we get the opportunity to host you again.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed in June for 4 nights. Very friendly & welcoming staff. Arrived very early but they had a room available which was great. Their washing machine for people had broken down so housekeeping did our washing for us, took it in the morning and back washed, ironed in evening. Very clean hotel, breakfast very good, fresh and kept topping up. Very close to shopping centres & places to eat within 1/4 mile. Also close to main interstate for touring. Would recommend this hotel.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chappers184
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I was in town on business, and I stayed at this property because it was a better value compared to many others in the region. My stay was okay, but not with out flaws. Upon checking in, I found the staff friendly and accomadating. I found my room okay, but it had an overall stale/ musky smell/ odor. Even with the AC running, the odor persisted (thought it might be humidity). In addition, the HVAC unit, even with a fan on mode was noisy(excessive rattle) when the AC compressor cut on and off. The room fixtures were dated, bed/ pillows were okay. As for the internet service, it worked, but was slower than many other properties (seemed dated). Breakfast was the usual HIE grub. There are no resturants closer than a mile +/-. This will not be my first choice when I return to the area, but its okay if you are not too picky.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Paintman0954
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chesapeake, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Dear Paintman0954,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. I am pleased you found our staff friendly and accommodating.Let me take the opportunity to apologize for the unusual condition of the room you received. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Indian Trail, NC
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Clean hotel, clean rooms! Nothing wrong with this location! There were fresh apples in the lobby in the day and at night the clerk baked cookies! Haven't had breakfast yet but I expect that to be quality!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RoxDaug
Portsmouth, VA
Reviewed 2 May 2013

I stayed here for four nights with my family while work was being done on our house. The sales mgr put together a package for us for a 2 room suite. The entire staff was very friendly and accomodating. My 6yr old son felt like he was on vacation-hot breakfast every morning, fresh cookies at the reception counter when we came in every afternoon, and swimming in the pool in the evening. The experience was great. I stay at many HEI hotels, but none better than this one. Thanks to the staff and management!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family