“The customer service is the problem”

Wingate by Wyndham Chesapeake
Ranked #7 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Reviewed 9 September 2013

On Friday 9/6 on a weekend trip, I decided to stay at the Wingate. While on the road to the Chesapeake area from Richmond VA, I called the hotel directly and the front desk agent Jamie advised that she was really busy with another customer and did not want to leave me on hold so she took my name and number to call back. I appreciated that because holding probably would have put me in a bad mood. So while waiting for Jamie to call back I decided to just call the 800 number on the site to make the reservation. While finishing up the reservation Jamie called so I did not answer.. Once I was done, I called Jamie back to let her know that I was already taken care of, she then offered to make sure the reservation was in the system for me. At the time it was not but she reassured me that she would check back within a few minutes and if it didnt show up she would contact me back. So I am thinking this is very nice of Jamie.

Get to the hotel, checked in with Jamie. She advised that I could pay in cash so I did and she also reassured me that there would be no charges or holds on the card and it was only used for the reservation. So that was fine with me.. Let me just say JAMIE was great.

Saturday morning I receive a receipt stating that at 4:05 AM my card was charged for the room. So I call to the front desk and spoke with Tom. He stated that it didnt matter if I paid in cash or not my card would have been charged regardless. So I asked him why would Jamie allow me to pay in cash if that was the case. He ignored the question and says "Its ok I have released it, it will be back in your account within a few minutes".
Well minutes, hours, and now at this point days passed and the funds have not been returned.
I was going to stay at this hotel the second night 9/7-9/8 but because of this area I decided to go up the road to Aloft (Perfect service, perfect hotel, knowledgeable staff).

But back to the issue with the payment. So after I waited a few hours and the funds did not appear in my account, I called back to the hotel spoke with Tom again. He stated to me "Maam any time you book a hotel you should be prepared to have your card charged and if your bank did not release the funds yet the only thing I can say is you really need to change banks".
I really wanted to provide Tom with some nice words however I had already made up in my mind that I would have to contact corporate so I decided to bite my tongue. I work for a very large credit card company, with years of bank and US card knowledge, so to say that it is the banks fault for not releasing the funds and that I should change banks is ridiculous because the fact is if my card was never charged the bank would not have anything to release and secondly it doesnt matter what bank you have the same issue would have been presented if the card was charged. It would take 3-5 at the minimum for the funds to be reversed. So I asked Tom if I could receive any sort of confirmation that he actually refunded my account, he said he did not have a way to do so.
Beyond frustrated at this point, I could not understand how Tom is the face of the business being a front desk agent and this is all he could offer. No empathy, no concern, no consideration, no apology for misinformation provided by Jamie since my card would get charged regardless as he stated. As a representative for this company the only thing he could offer was a recommendation to change banks. Sir you are a front desk agent not a financial consultant.

As far as the hotel itself: Very clean hotel. Rooms are average, nothing great but if you just need a place to sleep and shower it will do. Non smoking hotel however the hall smelled like weed. Not sure if that was from someone in the room smoking or if someone walked down the hall after smoking it and the scent lingered.

So on Monday I am still waiting to have my funds returned to me. At no point did any one offer to just give me my cash back which would have been the fastest and easiest solution but then again I guess I can't expect logical decisions to be made my the front desk staff with this company.
I have notified the corporate customer service, the agent I spoke with was rude told me to wait a week and if no funds are returned then she can start an investigation. I submitted an email complaint on Sunday, today I received confirmation of the receipt and it stated that the general manager will follow up by Friday. Clearly customer satisfaction is not a priority with this company. I will not stay at the Wingate ever again. The issue isnt the money really its the level of service provided. What if that was the only available funds that I had? Being out of my home area that could have been the only way I could have made it back home and no one considered that.

Oh last thing, if you review all of the poorly rated reviews, you will see that the general manager/hotel owner did not respond to any of the reviews. That shows that the hotel manager is not concerned with the way people feel about this location. Other hotel owners will atleast reply to address the issue which shows other people reading the reviews that yes there was an error BUT the manager did attempt to resolve the problem.. Please consider that when reviewing hotel locations with poor reviews.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 5 September 2013

They need to change every thing inside the room bed is bad one side is down sofa bed is broken bath room is dirty and toilet seat is very old had to buy a spray to take the smell away chair had a stain very dirty.

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
Reviewed 4 September 2013

One of the rooms I had smelled of cigarette smoke. I did not book smoking rooms. Would have liked the pool to be outside/or a patio outside to sit at. Othhrr than that stay was good.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We checked in part of our vacation this summer. I was given a kings suite ( I used Wyndham Points) and room was nice but it was a smelling smoke. Although the manager said that there was no smoking rooms in the hotels, but looks like some one smoked and the manager did not have any other room available (4th July). We had to cut short our vacation.

Room Tip: Make sure to check the room for smoke smell
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2013

The room was old and worn. The air conditioner did not take the humidity out of the room. Other group of guest on the floor made lots of noise late into the night (cheer leader group). And one morning the breakfast was empty after the first hour and manager was not at desk for thirty minutes to complain too. I watched three guest go to the desk and give up and walk away. I will not use you chain again.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Reviewed 26 August 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights, the place is comparatively new and clean. I'm a bit picky when it comes to cleaning standards and this place definitely met mines! The bath tub, the sheets, the room, the drapes everything was super clean and bug-free. There is a small empty fridge, a tea/coffee maker, and microwave which make your stay more convenient. Staff were polite and friendly. I loved the free parking and breakfast. It's not a fancy breakfast but it definitely do the job. I'll definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple