“Clean, Nice, but barebones”

Candlewood Suites Chesapeake/Suffolk
Ranked #19 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Reviewed 16 April 2011

I think Candlewood Suites must simply be the barebones version of the Holiday Inn family of hotels. So, I have no complaints other than the concept. For example, the rooms were clean, the staff was friendly and helpful, the location was convenient for our trip and to shopping areas. And if that's all you need go ahead and stay here. I was disappointed in the room only because it was called a "suite". For candlewood, a suite means a small mini bar, small fridge, and small microwave all crammed in a normal size room ta-da. They offered NO Complimentary Breakfast as do other Holiday Inn Express Suites. They have a small pantry you can buy breakfast bars and boxes of cereal from, but very disappointing. The next disappointment came from the knowledge that they do NOT provide daily housekeeping... only weekly housekeeping. So if you want a new clean towel, guess what, you have to take your current used towel to the front desk and hand it over in order to get a new towel. We even saw a guest ask the front desk for a new towel and the girl at the counter kindly said "sure, bring me your used towel and I will give you a new one." So a fatal flaw I see in their operation model is without daily housekeeping, they don't know when someone is checked out, or don't have the room automatically cleaned. What this meant to me is that when we arrived at 6pm to check in, the front desk said they would have to clean our room before they could check us in. Huh? (I had a reservation for 2 weeks, I drove 9 hours and now I have to wait for a room to be cleaned before I can check in??) No thanks. We stayed there for 2 nights but promptly rescheduled other reservations later in the week to cancel the next Candlewood Suites stay. Never again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank DadKnowsBest

Reviewed 16 June 2010

This is a very nice hotel. It was well worth the $$$. Very comfortable. Front desk very pleasant. Only complaint....very thin pillows!!! Will definitely stay here again!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2009

I needed to book a hotel at the last minute. I actually called one of their partner hotels. I needed a room big enough for myself, husband, 2 small children AND an accommodation for a pet. The pet thing was a just in case though. The partner hotel told me they didn't allow pets but were offering an amazing rate. I couldn't take it BUT they offered to call over to the Candlewood Suites and give me the same rate, with the pet accommodation just in case. They even asked for my name, gave me the managers name for Candlewood and gave me hers just in case. When I went to check in, they knew who I was and said that the rates and accommodations had already been taken care of. Great Hospitality!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2008

This hotel is only 4-5 months old. The rooms are clean and new!!! The bathroom and kitchen are tastefully designed. There are LCD tvs in every room. We had a one-bedroom suite and a double bed studio. Both were spacious and comfortable. If you are in the chesapeake area... Stay here! Loved it! Loved it! Loved it! Even the staff was very pleasant and helpful!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 29 July 2008

The hotel in chesapeake was brand new, very clean , and very quite ,the bed was comfortable , high speed internet, tv, the pillows & the sheets smell clean & new. everything was perfect. it was a great stay at the candlewood suites chesapeake.
I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)