Candlewood Suites Chesapeake/Suffolk
US$66
US$60
Red Roof
US$168
Sleep Inn & Suites(Chesapeake)
US$105
Agoda.com
US$74
US$81
Hotels.com
US$98
US$96
Priceline
All reviewsthe ice makerfree laundryan extended stay hotelsecond homeclean hotelour home away from homestove topfull kitchenawesome hotelenjoyed my staylocation is greatkitchenettedishwashervirginiainterstatemall
Reviewed 3 June 2011

Well where to begin, I guess from day one. We arrived at this hotel for an extended stay 3 months or so, needless to say we had a lot of luggage. We were never offered any help with our luggage so of course I thought that was kinda strange, but not a big deal. When we got there they had booked our one bedroom suite to another guy, so we had to move into 2 different rooms for a week and then move all our stuff again when our room came available. When we got into our room it was still dirty. The couch and dinning room chair had grease all over them in the shape of a person. We cleaned that off so it was able to be cleaned the staff just didn't bother doing it. The bathroom had hair on the floor and still in the tub. So that was not a very fun thing to move into, but still yet we thought oh well. So as we stayed we encounted so many terrible things with this hotel. 1) Our bed was broken and they told us for a week straight they would fix it, finally after I pushed the subject, going on the second week, they said they wouldn't do anything about it. 2) The housekeeping is the WORST!! We asked them if we could change or sheets, they said we would have to bring all of our dirty one's downstairs to the front desk and they would get us a new set. I'm sure I looked really bad to the customers at the front desk standing there with my hands full of dirty blankets, sheets and pillow cases. The same thing happened with our towels. They would never bring anything to us, we always had to bring our stuff down to them. We also asked for a set of towels and they told me they were all out. I was shocked...I said well when will you have more, thinking that maybe they were all in the wash? She said after they do all the other housekeeping. WOW!! When we had housekeeping clean our room it was always terrible. We thought they weren't changing our sheets, so we put makeup on the sheet. It was still on there when we got into our room. We asked them if they changed our sheets. Of course they said yes. Another time we asked them to change our sheets they said they couldn't that day, because we had a pair of jeans on the bed. I thought staying at a hotel was suppost to be like vacation. Anyway I could go on and on with the housekeeping. 3) We had a very bad storm while we were there, which made the power go out in the hotel. I understand that is an act of God, which is what the manager felt he needed to say after my complaints. I don't know if its illegal, but our hotel inside and out was a complete black out. They had emergency lights in the hallways that were never used. The elevator wasn't working. One of us couldn't get ready for work for two days, because there was no light in the bathroom at 5 in the morning. I was on night shift so I came back to the hotel at 3 in the morning. The parking lot had no lights anywhere..very scary. I got to the front of the hotel and the card reader wouldn't let me in. I saw they had a side door proped open...huh that's real safe. So I came in, scared to death walking up 4 flights of stairs in the dark. Got to my floor and couldn't see anything. I had to count the doors and hope that I got the right room. Oh and by the way no one was working at the front desk. So Thankfully that was going to be my last night there!! The next day the power was still out. I had to pack all my stuff in a room that was probably over 80 degrees. 4) MANAGEMENT. I called down to the front desk to see if they had anyone that could help me with my luggage. The elevator wasn't working and the stairs are still black. The manager is who answered, he said he was the only one their and he couldn't help me...I again was shocked!! So I made 6 trips down a very scary stairwell, thankfully I didn't hurt myself. When I complained to the manager, he mocked me and made fun of me saying "Aww, you had to carry all your stuff down the stairs". Anyway I could just keep going on with more things. I will end this, but probably hate that I did, because I will think of something else. I had to put one star in order to publish this. The meaning of a one star is "terrible". I wouldn't have even given them one star!!! I have reported them to The City of Chesapeake. I have an open case with the Corporate office, and I won't stop at that.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank kfh0664
Reviewed 17 May 2011

I stayed here at Candlewood May 13-15 with my fiance her sister and grandfather. Our rooms were booked side by side. We check in and the lady at the desk had us all split up sperated thru 2 seperate floors. We asked her to change it to put at least one of us next to our grandfather she said she couldnt now that is unexceptable this isnt a Vegas hotel. At candlewood theres 4 floors and only 31 cars in the parking lot. So it was her laziness and refusal to help. My fiance sister was booked in room 111 ground floor there where no signs saying where the room was located. 111-119 are unsigned room location so we asked clerk to she said go left down the hall, and after she came out and walked down the hall and couldnt find it , its actually going right at the desk. Needless to say it is a waste of time and money. Stay at Country Inn & Suites or go down the road to the Hilton

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank PCornell
Reviewed 16 April 2011

I think Candlewood Suites must simply be the barebones version of the Holiday Inn family of hotels. So, I have no complaints other than the concept. For example, the rooms were clean, the staff was friendly and helpful, the location was convenient for our trip and to shopping areas. And if that's all you need go ahead and stay here. I was disappointed in the room only because it was called a "suite". For candlewood, a suite means a small mini bar, small fridge, and small microwave all crammed in a normal size room ta-da. They offered NO Complimentary Breakfast as do other Holiday Inn Express Suites. They have a small pantry you can buy breakfast bars and boxes of cereal from, but very disappointing. The next disappointment came from the knowledge that they do NOT provide daily housekeeping... only weekly housekeeping. So if you want a new clean towel, guess what, you have to take your current used towel to the front desk and hand it over in order to get a new towel. We even saw a guest ask the front desk for a new towel and the girl at the counter kindly said "sure, bring me your used towel and I will give you a new one." So a fatal flaw I see in their operation model is without daily housekeeping, they don't know when someone is checked out, or don't have the room automatically cleaned. What this meant to me is that when we arrived at 6pm to check in, the front desk said they would have to clean our room before they could check us in. Huh? (I had a reservation for 2 weeks, I drove 9 hours and now I have to wait for a room to be cleaned before I can check in??) No thanks. We stayed there for 2 nights but promptly rescheduled other reservations later in the week to cancel the next Candlewood Suites stay. Never again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank DadKnowsBest
Reviewed 16 June 2010

This is a very nice hotel. It was well worth the $$$. Very comfortable. Front desk very pleasant. Only complaint....very thin pillows!!! Will definitely stay here again!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2009

I needed to book a hotel at the last minute. I actually called one of their partner hotels. I needed a room big enough for myself, husband, 2 small children AND an accommodation for a pet. The pet thing was a just in case though. The partner hotel told me they didn't allow pets but were offering an amazing rate. I couldn't take it BUT they offered to call over to the Candlewood Suites and give me the same rate, with the pet accommodation just in case. They even asked for my name, gave me the managers name for Candlewood and gave me hers just in case. When I went to check in, they knew who I was and said that the rates and accommodations had already been taken care of. Great Hospitality!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family