“Courteous Staff and Clean Hotel”

Candlewood Suites Chesapeake/Suffolk
Ranked #20 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Reviewed 15 April 2014

There are tons of places to stay in Chesapeake, and this is a very nice hotel, with clean Rooms and comfortable bedding included the price is very reasonable . Plus it's location is great as it is nearby to shopping, all kinds of Restaurants . I stay at this Hotel every month to visit my Mom and the staff is always very polite and accommodating. They know me by my name and I always get a very warm welcome. I feel definitely at Home at this hotel.

Room Tip: I always request a first floor room and they make sure I am on the bottom floor ,a very quiet , cle...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 April 2014

The only unfortunate part of the visit was that I was in town for a funeral. I have stayed in Candlewood Suites before and I am always treated well. This Candlewood met all of my expectations. I arrived on a Thursday and left the following Tuesday morning. The room was clean, the staff members were welcoming and friendly. There are many amenities close by and a large choice of restaurants and fast food locations. The location was also close to my relatives. After a tearful day at the funeral home we went to a nearby spa that had been recommended by one of the hotel staff. It helped to soothe a sad day.
I prefer taking the stairs when I travel and it was one of the cleanest staircases I have ever seen. The stairs are carpeted and there are waste containers at each floor.

Room Tip: The room I was in was located in the wing at the back of the hotel. It was quiet, close to the stai...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Dorothy R
Reviewed 18 February 2014

There's really not much positive to say - it was reasonably clean but stunk of cigarette smoke (non-smoking room). The towels and bedding were horrible - worst I've even found in any hotel. We had to take linens to the front desk to ask for clean ones as there is no room service. There were drunk people in the halls all through the nights. Bottom line, never again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank T H
Peter K, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Chesapeake/Suffolk, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Dear ODU Visitor,
First of all we would like to thank you for making Candlewood Suites, your choice of hotel for your visit to ODU. We are sorry that you were not quite happy with your stay. We did not recieve any feed back during your stay. We have signs posted all over the hotel for our guests to notify us of any issues they may have during the stay so that we can rectify it immediately. We are commited to our guests safety and comfort. Every day we strive hard to exceed our guest expectations and make a positive difference. As far as room service, we are an extended stay hotel where we provide limited room service but in between we will gladly deliver any service or amenity that you may need. We wish you good luck with the purpose of your visit and come back to experience the Candlewood difference!
Warm Regards

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Best Hotel I've ever stayed in. Staff is friendly and always asked if I needed anything. Rooms are spacious and very clean (while exploring the hotel I noticed housekeeping staff steam cleaning mattresses), the grounds are very well kept, loved the doggy area (with provided bags for clean up), there is even a small food pantry (store) with refrigerated items, healthy snacks, laundry supplies,(washer and dryer was free), etc. They've thought of every need. As I was on my own with my dog, I always felt very safe, even while walking him at 5:00 in the morning. Property is very well illuminated and VERY quiet.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Ann M
Peter K, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Chesapeake/Suffolk, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear Ms.McKeel,
It was a pleasure to meet with you in person at the desk. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay. Guest satisfaction is our only priority and we strive hard to make our guests happy. Our heartfelt thanks to you from the entire team and we look forward to see you again. Consider us home!
Peter.K - General Manager

Reviewed 1 July 2013

We cancelled our reservation. After scheduling our stay we noted an undisclosed pet fee of $75.00 per night! Almost as much as the room itself. Confirmed this with the hotel staff. That is a pretty outrageous fee for one dog.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank pete_ivk
Peter K, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Chesapeake/Suffolk, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

Thank you for your loyalty to our brand and taking the time to leave a review. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. We are very sorry to read that you experienced inconvenience because we did not meet your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Thank you for loyalty to our brand, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed 31 May 2013

I have to say that I had a very relaxed stay. The hotel is very well maintained to be 5yrs old. The staff are very friendly and cordial. Always greeted with a smile. I liked it because of the fact that where it's located is pretty quiet. You don't hear too much noise from traffic going by. I would stay again. I didn't mind it at all :)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank IdaLW
Reviewed 29 May 2013

While staying at this hotel the night of our wedding all of our monetary gifts were stolen from our car. I asked the desk clerk if there was video and he said maybe but only the manager could look. They wrote my name and number on the back of another slip of paper and didn't even take a formal inquiry. Two days later we came back to talk to the manager and she said the car hadn't been on camera and that she had tried to call earlier that day. I had no missed calls on my phone. Oddly enough no one had been in the parking lot when we arrived or in the lobby or elevator. Only the desk clerk saw me come in wearing a wedding dress. Our car was not decorated with "just married" or anything of the sort. Somehow the only thing taken or even looked through was the card box. I have called corporate who has sent an email to this hotel asking them to call me and its been almost a day and I still have not heard back. It seems that there is something very suspicious going on here and I feel as though we were targeted by the staff as honeymooners. Now it feels as though the hotel is covering it up and not being helpful at all. I would not stay here or at any other of these chains again! The staff is obviously untrustworthy and when things go wrong can not be counted upon to take the situation seriously.

Room Tip: no where in this hotel
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shannon W
Peter K, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Chesapeake/Suffolk, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2013

First of all I would like to thank you for staying at our hotel. It was unfortunate and our heartfelt apologies for the supposed robbery incident. All of the staff members have empathized over the issue to you and the Manager Tammy has spoken to you in length. She even took you to the surveillance area and showed you the security monitor and discussed with you in detail. However in the TV interview, you made a comment that you left the car "UNLOCKED" and there was no forced entry!!! Although getting robbed in a very busy parking lot in today's day & age is not uncommon locking your car will definately enhance better security.I take a lot of pride to thank my honest and dedicated staff who would not only go an extra mile and do whatever it takes to make my guests happy. There have been many occasions where my honest staff has turned in expensive diamond jewellery, Ipod, Ipad, wallet,etc. which was left in the rooms. I am sorry you suspect hotel staff but our staff has only been safegaurding troopers highly caring for our valuable guests. Once again thanks for staying with us.At our hotel Guest Services is not everything but it is the only thing! We care, love and value our guests.