“Good but could be better”

Carrabba's Italian Grill
Ranked #68 of 513 Restaurants in Chesapeake
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Ate here for lunch. It's nice that Carrabba's recently started serving lunch.

What I liked:

1. Good sangria. Not too sweet. Fresh fruit, not sloppy from being in the alcohol too long.
2. Warm bread. They'll bring you butter instead of messy olive oil, if you ask.
3. Pleasant, warm interior (warm as in decor style).
4. Nice seafood selection.
5. Truly outstanding lentil/sausage soup. Their $4 "cup" is a really a bowl, so it's a good deal. you pay half that price if you order it with an entree.
6. All the freshly grated Romano over your meal that you can request.

What I didn't like:

1. I chose this restaurant based on the online menu. Was really looking forward to their scallops/shrimp dish. Unfortunately, I failed to notice that this item is served only at dinner, not lunch. In fact, the lunch menu is substantially thinner than the dinner menu. Disappointing. I've seen this in restaurants before, and I suppose there are hard logistics that make this necessary. But still, it's a letdown.
2. Our service was competent but unenthusiastic. What does it cost, anyway, to smile at the customer and provide a proper greeting? The grim-faced service we received from our waitress, start to finish, cost this restaurant a service star.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

First time here. Got in late, as we were there at 8:30 pm. Ate outside on the covered patio. Great service from the waitress. Food cooked to order and very tasty.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I went to Carrabba's while visiting my son and daughter-in-law. The food was great!! My son and daughter-in-law ordered one of the steak dishes. They told me that Carrabba's is the only place they have found in the area that cooks their steaks the way they like them. I had one of the chicken dishes with garlic mashed potatoes. The service was also great, hope to be able to go to a Carrabba's in Arizona where i live sometime in the future.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I enjoy Carrabba's but the past year each visit has become more disappointing than the last even at different location s from VA to FL. The house salad I ordered on this visit came with two big hunks of the hard center of the lettuce and was skimpy on edible leafy greens. There were carrot shavings. No olives or other veggies. Except for the carrots I'd say it was more like a Caesar salad. While I prefer my salads lightly dressed this was too lightly dressed in a Caesar-like dressing. On 99% of my visits over the years I order pork chops Marsala. They used to serve two large juicy chops with plenty of mushrooms on the sauce. I can understand reducing the entree from two to one chop though the price doesn't really reflect that. But the quality and size of the chop has been reduced. This visit the chop was very skimpy and poorly cooked. Next visit I'll have to find a new favorite. I'm very disappointed since this is where I got my pork chop fix.

I am thankful for the server's honesty when asked about the lobster mac and cheese. He said don't get it. It's dry.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I generally do not review chains; but this is a very good one. My wife loves the Calamari and I can find something good. This past trip we went for lunch, a first. I had an individual pizza but the highlight was the sausage and lentil soup. I told the waiter that the order was for a cup and this was much too large. Well, their cups are the size of most bowls. My wife loved the small Calamari and ate a tomato and cucumber salad. She loved it. She had the main dish a chicken dish with goat cheese to take home. The waiter was excellent and the meal was delicious.