“Nice Sunday Evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Riptides

Riptides
Ranked #2 of 106 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Kids, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hopewell, Virginia
“Nice Sunday Evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

This was the first time we have dined at Riptides and did not have to wait for a table. Now it was a Sunday but the place is always packed. We had a nice leisurely dinner and the service was exceptional and the food was good as always. I especially enjoyed the home made dressings on the wedge salad. Sorry we did not save room for dessert as they sure looked good

• Visited August 2013

Hopewell
“Good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

I went to Riptides with a girlfriend for lunch. The restaurant is clean and decorated nicely. I love that someone resisted the temptation that seems to come over all seafood restaurant owners and didn't decorate the place with a bunch of nautical crap everywhere. This was just a nice, clean, fresh looking restaurant.

We warned our server up front that my friend and I hadn't seen each other in quite a while so we would be taking up the table chatting all afternoon. She was unfazed by that and provided us with friendly and professional service throughout the three and a half hour lunch.

We started with Bloody Mary's, practically an appetizer by themselves, what with the extra fresh stalk of celery, THREE olives, and some delicious slices of pepperoni.

For lunch I had the fried oyster Po Boy, and it was absolutely fabulous. Unlike some restaurants that give you these itty bitty oysters rolled eighty four times in batter so you think they're huge, or other restaurants that buy the cheap large but watery oysters, these delicious medium sized oysters were coated with just enough batter and fried to perfection, making them crispy and delicious. The oysters were topped with mayonnaise, tomato, lettuce and melted cheese. I could only eat half the portion, and I like to eat. The sides were hush puppies, fries and coleslaw, and all were happy surprises: large hot hush puppies, hand cut french fries and real coleslaw, fresh and made by hand! Yahoo! Why, oh, why buy frozen and prepackaged when fresh tastes so much better? Hello out there, restaurant owners -- we notice that stuff!

My girlfriend got the crab cake sandwich and from the look on her face it was equally delicious. I asked if I could try it so I could report to you all on the dish, but she threatened to stab me with her fork, so alas, I can only say I think it was pretty good too.

I will definitely be going back to this fabulous little gem of a restaurant!

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Great Meal!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

This place was recommended by my son's girlfriend, and we're glad we gave it a try. The staff is efficient and friendly, and the food was also delicious. Our group had the Riptide Special (2 people), crab legs, fried shrimp and crab cakes, and the lobster ravioli. My older son also got the frog legs as an appetizer and shared with us. The portions were generous, and the presentation was nice. The decor is fun...somewhat a beach theme with a large saltwater tank and several varieties of fish and coral. Would love to return here.

Richmond, Virginia
“Good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

Passed by this place several times never wanting to even try it . . . friends invited us so we went. Decor is fun, not in a cheesy way, but more of a tasteful, artsy beach theme. Hostess warmly greeted us immediately upon entering- sat immediately, Zoe our server was wonderful, patient, knowledgeable, on time. . . We all enjoyed our food, two of us had the Riptides Sampler - Scallops (which were grilled perfectly and oh soooo sweet and tender), lump crab meat, and shrimp with 2 sides. It was delicious! two others ordered crab cake platter and fish(forgot what kind). They serve generous portions definitely left there full. Had frog legs and crab dip as appetizers. Those who ate the frog legs liked them (not me!) I had the crab dip and it was a bit too salty and lemony. Don't think I would opt for that one again. Overall, nice place to go. We will definitely be back!!

Jupiter, Florida
“Great Meal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

I visited Richmond, Va and visited friends in Chester and this restaurant came highly recommended by locals. The weather was fantastic and we were able to sit outside on their patio. We were entertained by a couple singing and playing the guitar. The food was wonderful. We started with cocktails, the cajun shrimp appetizer and I completed my feast with the Riptide Special - scallops, crab meat and, yes, more shrimp. This dish was cooked in a wonderful white wine butter sauce. Great experience which includes the service.

• Visited June 2013