“Check in at your own risk”

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Checked in, proceeded to room number 3xx and began to exam it prior to bringing in my personal luggage. Room in general was suitable but not thoroughly cleaned as evident by photos numbered 1 thru 3. A sense of security was definitely lacking when the door security bolt had been sheared off and never replaced, photo number 4. Basic room amenities need some daily operational checks, photos 5 and 6. In the bathroom I found a linen string on the floor under the countertop, photo 7. Proceeded to take apart bed number one to find two different types of bugs, I attempted to take as clear a photo as possible but they were small approximately 5 mm in length making it challenging, photos 8 and 9. Examining bed number two was no better, photos 10 thru 14. Fortunately, there were NO bites found on my body the next morning. All I can say is that you make your own decision as to what the photographed bugs actually were is the condition of the room regarding cleanliness to your standards and can you personally accept paying hard earned money to reside in such an environment?

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Crystal L, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Chester, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

At the Country Inn & Suites Chester, we value all guest feedback. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay for all of our guests. We have reached out to this guest regarding the matter. We use all of guest feedback to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for future guests to the hotel. We will be working with this guest to resolve this issue in some way. We value the feedback that our guests continue to provide on Trip Advisor

Reviewed 30 July 2013

This place was so great on many levels. Quiet, clean, free breakfast (and different every morning), free WI-FI, free COOKIES and free parking. Comfortable beds. Staff was great! What else can you ask for? I slept through the night - ALL THREE NIGHTS I was there. Keep it up!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites Chester, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Dear mzmeryze,

Thank you for telling us about your stay. We are so glad that you enjoyed you enjoyed our amenities. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you for your time. We really do hope that you will choose us again in the future.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

We stayed here July 15, 16th & 17th. We were visiting Civil War sites and chose this hotel because of the Trip Advisor rating. I was very disappointed!! The hotel is older and worn. Our room was mostly clean (had one incident but housekeeping promptly took care of it) but the room smelled musty.

My biggest complaint is with the [un]cleanliness of the breakfast area. The second day of our trip the kitchen area was a disaster!! Pancake batter, cereal, and other breakfast items were everywhere! The milk containers were empty and all the tables were dirty. Granted, we did come down at 8:30 but I was still surprised. The girl working the front desk said she was also working the kitchen so I thought, ok, she's busy, this isn't typical. Wrong. When we returned that evening I checked the kitchen area and it was still dirty. Pancake crumbs were still on the floor and counters. The curtain next to the coffee had creamer spilled all down it.

It was the same way the next morning. Before checking out at 11, I took pictures of the dirty kitchen area (two hours after breakfast ended). the pictures show pancake batter and crumbs on the countertop and floor.

I have read other reviews of this inn and many are glowing. However, I will never return.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites Chester, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Dear Sandra J,

We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Country Inn is located about 20 minutes outside of Richmond in Chester, a vast wasteland of chain restaurants and hotels. I'm not sure why I booked so far away from Richmond and its nasty brown river, but be aware that it's going to take a decent drive to get to a restaurant that doesn't resembles an Applebees.

Having said that, the hotel itself is fine. The biggest downside is the single elevator, which was only a pain in the butt on Night 1, when a boys' baseball team took over the hallways of the hotel. I hate children as much as the next sensible person, and they pretty much brought the single elevator to a halt. Luckily, they were gone the next day. If the hotel is only moderately booked, it's not a major problem, but at full capacity you should be prepared for a wait.

The Wi-Fi worked very well, which was extremely important. The TV had more channels than most hotels I've stayed in. The bed was comfortable. The hot tub area was clean. The breakfast bar had a waffle maker, and when they ran out of waffles on Day 2, we walked next door to Cracker Barrel. There's also a Denny's next door and, if you're craving class, a Hooters across the street.

This wasn't a bad place to call home for a few days.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites Chester, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We appreciate you concerns about the elevator. We really do value all guest feedback. It allows us to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and future guests to the hotel. ; Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

This place was exceptionally clean the staff very pleasant and helpful. Our room was clean and very comfortable. After driving 9 hours we were happy to find this place. We had a great nights sleep well rested for the rest of our journey. The breakfast in the morning had a large selection to choose from to. There were many places to eat near by too. The swimming pool was great to. I would stay here again.

Dear Denise L,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We are so glad that we could accommodate you, and your family. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean ,safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

After reading so many nice reviews of the property, I was very underwhelmed. Perhaps we had a bad room, but our room had a musty smell to it. It was dark and for a newer property, our room was rather beat-up as well (scuffed walls, furniture, etc). It wasn't comfortable for me and my family, so we ended up going elsewhere. The young lady at check-in could improve her demenaor as well, seeing that she works in the service industry.

1  Thank Maurice W
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I had the best experience.I'm so glad I found this place! It's a really nice hotel in a nice area. I love-love-LOVE the interior design and overall concept of the hotel that works to be GOOD for the environment. It's located next to a skating ring and plenty of places to eat. Also, down the street to a mall.

I stayed in a king size room-it was a very roomy area. It was very quiet there and I got alot of the rest that I needed. The staff was super-super friendly too.

Overall I really liked this place and actually miss it! I highly recommended it for its cleanliness, great amenities, friendly service, and location!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites Chester, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Dear GreatExperienceVa,

Thank you for telling us about your stay. We are so glad that we could accommodate you during your business trip. We really appreciate all of our business travelers. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you so much for your feedback. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Sincerely,,