“So Far, Not Impressed”

Dining options: Reservations
Chesterfield, Virginia
“So Far, Not Impressed”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We have now visited El Patron in Chester, VA twice. The first time was o.k. We really liked the salsa; their version seemed to include chili powder which gave it a really full-bodied flavor. We also tried the queso dip, but found it completely devoid of flavor. Our meals were just average - not the worst Mexican we had ever had, but far from the best.

But on our second visit we opted for carry-out and were sorely disappointed. We ordered both the salsa and chips, as well as queso dip for a second try. The queso was just as bland as the first time and we would not get it again. Unfortunately, this time the salsa was completely different than the first time we had it. It had chopped onion that was much too large, and it was far spicier than the first time we tried it.

For our entrees we had an order of Carnitas, and Burrito Pozo Seco. Carnitas is by far my favorite dish to order at any basic Mexican restaurant - simple, delicious and difficult to ruin. Unfortunately, El Patron's Carnitas did not measure up. First, the portion of meat was surprisingly small; and even worse, what meat we did have was so riddled with large pieces of fat, that I had barely half a serving, by the time I removed it all. The meat was also not well-seasoned. I normally eat just the meat in a tortilla, relying on the spices from the dry-rub for flavoring. But there was just no real taste to this meat. The meat was also served in the container on top of my rice and beans in a single take-out container, meaning I had to pick it out of my beans, if I wanted to put it in a tortilla. The kitchen also neglected to place the tortillas for the carnitas in our carry-out bag, necessitating a return trip by my husband, where he had a frustrating encounter with the service staff.

The Burrito Pozo Seco, although a more generous portion, also lacked in flavor, it was just heavily coated with queso.

We'll think on it a while, before deciding whether to give El Patron a third and final try. There are just too many other choices out there.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank pinkparadox

Atlanta, GA
“Awesome food”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I love this place........the food is the best mexican food I've had in a long time....great portions. The drinks need work but it could've been the person who fixed it but otherwise I will frequent regularly.

Visited May 2014
Chester, Virginia
“Review of new location- Disappointed”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Finally visited the newly constructed, reopened El Patron restaurant. The food was very good as it always has been, however the new location has parking issues already.We had to circle the parking lot for 10 min. waiting for someone to leave so we could park. Once inside, we were shocked at the noise level. The new construction design has very high ceilings, is more open than the old location and concrete flooring makes it so loud inside that it was difficult to carry a conversation throughout our meal. We waited over 30 minutes for our food which is about 3 times longer than we did at the old location. So far not impressed and hope service changes or sadly I think many will find another mexican restaurant to dine.

• Visited May 2014
Chesterfield, Virginia
“An inexspensive but tasty lunch”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My wife and I went for lunch this past Saturday. I ordered the chorizo pollo lunch speceial and my wife had the chimichungas. Both meals were super quick and very tasty. I would wholehardly reccomend this restaurant.

• Visited April 2014
Richmond, Virginia
“Processed food”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Having been to El Patron's old location many times, we were excited to go to the new restaurant. We were there around 4:30 PM on a week day and saw only five other tables being served. Both of us ordered the same numbered combination that took almost 30 minutes to be served. Each plate had a taco, enchilada and chile relleno that all tasted the same. Each entree had the same pulverized ground meat with very bland seasonings. The chile relleno had very little cheese on it and had none of the spiciness expected. None of it tasted authentic or fresh but more like the Mexican drive thru down the road. What a disappointment! Doubtful that we will return.

• Visited April 2014