“Me Gusta!!!”

Tres Machos
Ranked #3 of 75 Restaurants in Chesterfield
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Once again, I embarked on a quest to find which Mexican restaurants in RVA can serve more culturally authentic food than Taco Bell. During my journey, I went to visit Tres Machos for lunch last month. How did my experience go? Here is my review.

The Good:

Service- I arrived at the restaurant not too long after it opened. Once I made my way through the door I was greeted by the host who sat me down immediately. My server was particularly friendly and knowledgeable of the menu. I placed my order and the food was brought out roughly 10 minutes afterwards. The food was hot and I did not have to ask or hunt my server down for anything.

Flavors- I ordered the Chicken and Spinach entree. This dish comes with grilled chicken breast with a spinach and bacon sauce, rice or mashed potatoes and a salad. The spinach and bacon sauce really set the rest of the meal off. I fell immediately in love with it and literally licked the place clean when I was done.

Portion Size- The entree came with a portion size that is larger and most Mexican restaurants that I've been to in the past. I did not feel the need to stop by McDonalds after finishing my meal today.

The Bad:

Prices- There is a lunch special section and the majority of the items on the menu are reasonably priced. I opted to order some of the higher quality items. The Chicken and Spinach was $13.99. Portion wise it was a fair price, but quality of food wise its questionable. I was expecting fresh chicken with my dish and my chicken appeared to be of the frozen processed variety. The chicken was not bad, but vastly different from the taste of a fresh meal.

Taste of rice- There was really nothing special about the rice that came with my dish. It could have used more seasoning.

Overall- Any place with good service, large portion size, decent flavors and lunch specials deserves a second look. Since this is one of the better Mexican restaurants on Midlothian Turnpike outside of Don Pepe, I could see myself going again. I would likely order a burrito or taco the next time I go. FOUR STARS

2  Thank 712jonb

Reviewed 27 December 2013

I stopped by with the family last night and was impressed. Tres machos is a little hidden restaurant but I must say it was worth the stop. It is probably one of the best Mexican restaurants I've ever been too. The food was one step above normal it came out in a very nice looking meal, I had the burrito San Jose, and it was delicious. The service was great as we'll the servers were very polite and there for anything I required. The margaritas as we'll were delicious and only $2 during happy hour. I would recommend tres machos to anyone that wants better food with a better service as well.

1  Thank Mike R
Reviewed 14 December 2013

It is one of our favorite Mexican restaurants. The food is great and reasonably priced. They make your guacamole at your table the way you request. The staff is very friendly and responsive. We always end up with food to take home.

1  Thank eenorman
Reviewed 8 December 2013

First let me say I love Mexican food and good good Mexican restaurants are hard to come by. This is the place to go for Mexican food in Richmond. We loved the fresh "made at the table" guacamole. We had the fajitas and they were very good.
The service and staff were great and we couldn't have been happier. For desert, the flan was the best we have ever had.
The decor, well it is a strip mall but they had some nice art work on display.
Stop in for dinner, you won't be disappointed! We are going again this week.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

My wife and I love Mexican, and all the strip mall options are very similar and we've always been happy. But this place was a step above. The food was very good. I had the quesadilla del mar, and couldn't finish them all. Just too much food. My wife had the shrimp tacos, and same deal. The portions are very large. The service was some of the best we've had. There were about 6 tables occupied, and our server, Paula, was taking care of all of them and doing an amazing job. Every time she walked by our table, she would ask if everything was okay and if we needed anything. She is what a server should be. Someone who wants to make your meal enjoyable. This is our new favorite Mexican place and we will be back. Oh, and $2 frozen margaritas during happy hour, which runs from 3-7 every day, doesn't hurt.