“Comfortable, great location, reasonable prices”
Review of Assateague Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chincoteague Island
Assateague Inn
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Comfortable, great location, reasonable prices”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here for a long weekend. We stayed in one of the one-bedroom apartment. It was clean, well-stocked in the kitchen and comfortable. The location is convenient to everything. You can walk to the downtown (1.5 miles or so), Maddox Boulevard which is the main strip, and then a short trip to the beach.

Our room was clean and housekeeping did a great job day after day. The kitchen had everything we could need to cook simple meals. This would be a great place for a small family or a couple like me and my husband. The bed was very comfortable, nice sheets and there was a cotton, waffle-weave blanket in the closet we used. I usually have a hard time sleeping in hotels but not here. It's quiet, peaceful and so very comfortable.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Natalielouboo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We have been visiting Chincoteague Island for nearly 10 years and always stay at the Assateague Inn.It is quiet,extremely clean and the staff is very helpful and friendly.We always feel like we're staying with family.My husband has been involved in law enforcement for over 20 years-including projects work as a street cop and very high level security work.He feels quite secure staying there-which is saying a lot.We highly recommend this place to all and any who want a comfy,relaxing,clean and friendly place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GreyOwl1975
Burlington, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We needed an overnight getaway during my partner's spring break from teaching. We're fond of picking a place less than four hours away, and during this trip we decided on Chincoteague Island.

We are budget travelers. I considered a few other likely places on the island, but the Assateague Inn sounded quite reasonable. A two room suite, with a kitchenette, table, couch and separate bedroom sounded good for $78 dollars (with tax) after my AAA discount.

The suite was quite clean and nicely-set up. At first I was a little annoyed that the other guests were next to us and directly above us, but they were super quiet. I still wonder why there were like six Russian gents staying at the hotel. Perhaps they were working at the nearby NASA facility?

Yes, the property is next to a trailer park. Yes, you can see "commercial" properties in the distance. But the setting directly on the marshy creek was pleasant and, above all, quiet.

As we ate breakfast the next morning, we opened the curtains to the sliding glass doors to watch egrets and wood ducks looking for their meal in the creek.

There were a few little details that need attention. First and foremost, the heating system. When we entered the suite, we were surprised at the hot temperature. I turned the thermostat down to 60 from 68. But the bedroom heater seemed a little crazy. We opened the small bedroom window to bring in the 40 degree outside air before we went to bed. We still woke up sweaty. I finally turned all the thermostats as low as they would go and shut off the heat. There's heat, and then there's "ouch the baseboard heater is burning hot" type of heat even at 60 degrees.

This is so stupid I hate to complain but the battery was dead in the TV remote. To me, that's something you need to check when renting out a room.

As is usual with kitchenettes, the dishes needed to be washed before use. Stuck-on food from sloppy guests is always gross. Still, housekeeping should make sure everything is clean. They did a great job everywhere else.

In short, not the best stay of my travels but still, as I said, very good for the price.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2012

My wife and I have been staying at this property, sometimes more than once a year, for about 7 years. No more. We had $600.00 cash stolen from our room (the money was in a plastic folder in a hidden zippered compartment in a suitcase) this past weekend over the period of 2 days. Got the police involved... the whole 9 yards. You figure it out. And yes, I know, "Why do you use cash??" Doesn't matter. It belonged to me and one should expect a moderate amount of security in a hotel room. Not here. There are plenty of other properties out here...

• Stayed September 2012
8 Thank Jim M
Audubon, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Assateague Inn is just about perfectly located; it is within a few minutes (in some cases only moments) from all that Chincoteague and Assateague Islands have to offer, yet off the main street enough to be quiet and relaxing.
The rooms are clean, "efficiently sized" ( have been comfortable for our family of four), and have a relaxing, "Aaaaahh"-inducing evening view across the creek from the deck. I love the proximity to restaurants, shopping, activities for the kids (and the grownups), the best ice-cream on the planet (!), & the beaches, trails and nature programs on Assateague Island.

The staff (especially Ruth Ann, the manager) have always remembered us, welcomed us, and taken care of us like family would. It feels like we're visiting relatives on the Eastern Shore.
-That's why we keep coming back: I know that we have a comfortable, relaxing, home-y place to stay. And at the end of each stay there, my children ask "Can we come back next year?!!".

Room Tip: There are only one or two rooms that *don't* have a view across the Creek. :-)
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Centreville, Virginia
Reviewed 14 July 2012

This is our second stay at the Inn, and while it is a bit run down compared to newer hotels, the inside is clean, the staff is very friendly and helpful. Its close to everything, and the big draw for my son (and husband, wink) is the dock to crab from. Hours of entertainment while mom's read a book. ahhhhhh.....Having a pool is also very convenient with kids. The efficiency kitchens are small, but stocked. AC is in the front, so keep the fan going in the bedroom, and don't shut the door or it will be too hot. A little noisy with the "neighbors" but you have that anywhere. All in all, we will return.

Room Tip: Opt for the second floor if you can.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Shehack
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 June 2012

At the Assateague Inn, we have always been treated like family; but in a good way. :) The staff is very helpful and friendly. The rooms/suites are all charming and extremely clean. To sit out on the deck in the morning with a cup of coffee; and to enjoy the calming sites and sounds of the natural world right outside your door is PRICELESS!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple