“After 30 yrs nothing has changed!”

Inlet View Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chincoteague Island
Inlet View Campground
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I used to go here every summer as a child. I recently returned and was amazed by how run down the place is now. The city marina is conveniently located next to the campground and the pool is a new thing, but everything else has not changed in 30 years. Coming into the camp the go-carts we used to ride are all closed up. The camp store is as I remember. The same broken playground equipment I used as a kid is still there right next to the store. The same permanent trailers keep getting older and older and are not taken care of. The annual prices have gotten so high that some people have abandoned their trailers and given them to the campground. They use them as rentals. There is no way that the money is used to upkeep the camp. The bath houses are still the same with nasty, smelly water seeping out of the ground behind them. There is no water access even though the camp is on the water. Beach erosion is taking over so concrete construction debris now lines the entire shoreline to prevent it. The boat ramp is closed and the dock and pier are condemned. The feral cats are still there too. There just aren't that many of them now.
It is sad to see that this key property on the island has gone to waste. I was disgusted to show my family where I used to spend my summer vacations. I don't ever need to go back there again. It won't get any better as long as the permanent and condemned trailers are there.
If you want to camp on Chincoteague I would recommend Tom's Cove. No permanent trailers and much more modern. It's the way a campground should be.

Room Tip: Go to Tom's Cove!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank pcjmcm

Reviewed 25 May 2012

Despite the reviews, we stayed at this campground in one of the cottages. This is a perfect example of not believing everything you read. We took the time to call and ask questions and the owner was extremely pleasant to chat with. Keep in mind that this is a campground and not a resort. Having said that, the staff was without a doubt one of the nicest and friendliest bunch of people I have come across in a long time. The grounds were constantly being cleaned and prepared for the incoming visitors. Everything was easily accessible, prices were great, the camp store was fully stocked and most importantly, I was told, if I need anything just ask-this time I actually believed it. Additionally, the seasonal visitors accepted us as there own and it was nice to have someone wave and say, "hi nieghbor"! We actually wanted to stay another night or two. We recommend this campground and look forward to visiting again!

Room Tip: Cottage 1 is located closest to the water.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Mike E
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I have visited Chincoteague Island frequently in the past 15 years and have seen this campground at it's worst. Luckily, new management has taken over and I can't believe the difference! The campground has been cleaned up and looks great! Definitely family friendly and will provide a nice vacation experience!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Chris w
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I have been coming to Chincoteague for about 30 years. Rode around this campground for the first time yesterday. The less desirable parts of d.c., made this place look like beverly hills. I felt like i was in the barbary coast, san fran., ca, of years past. Squalor, decay, corrosion, etc. It recked of despair, shamelessness.....a sign could read.... Anything goes here...we don't care.....for what ever reason..... hopelessness, drugs, alcohol, etc. Not a place any self respecting person would want to be.. stay away...scary!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay away!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank s l
Reviewed 28 August 2011

As life-long campers (tent), we've seen lots of places from east to west, and this place is at the very very bottom. The place is filled with permanent camping vehicles, which many appear to be easily condemnable. We went to bed in our tents only to be awakened by gunshots or M-80s being fired off by folks at a party in a nearby trailer site. The party went on until 4am! The other comments about the cats are true, and there was litter and junk everywhere, The bath house had maggots and hair so thick in the drain the water could not escape. Disgusting to say the very least. The grumpy greetings at check in were a bonus, too. Go to Maddox campsites if you plan to camp here in Chincoteague -or get a hotel! Don't camp here.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank Avid C
Reviewed 28 August 2011

My husband and are took a drive through Inlet View, that place should be shut down! We stayed at Tom's Cove, it was great!!!!! Clean, and friendly people. We rode through Inlet because we were going to stay there, thank God we didn't, it's slums away from home. Go to Tom's Cove.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank mommy2bb
Reviewed 20 July 2011

First let me say that I am no prissy, sissy. I love camping and roughing it is not a problem for me. I made a reservation for my family to stay here for 2 nights and am taking the time to do this review so someone else isn't also misled. Inlet view looks nothing like the pictures on their website......nothing. We were going to tent camp. The tent camping area looked like a homeless tent city or maybe a refugee camp for escaped criminals, take your pick. I would never be able to sleep in such a place for fear of being raped and murdered in my sleep. DO NOT CAMP HERE. DO NOT SEND A DEPOSIT. I did not even attempt to get my deposit back. I was afraid to enter the office. Run away....far, far away.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family