“True,They Are Working On It”

Inlet View Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chincoteague Island
Inlet View Campground
chincoteague
“True,They Are Working On It”
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I visted the campground in the winter...Not a wholesome sight! I had heard improvements had been made and would continue to be made. I did see quite a difference. Many of the rusting, delapidated, scary looking shanty 'homes' had been removed. It is my understanding that more of the long term places are going to be removed, to make way for additional short-term camping. That said, I talked to a family that was camping there recently. There comment about the place was, 'The Place Sure Does Look Different Than The Pictures, If You Know What I Mean'! Yeppers, I think that I do. Sadly enough. However, at least owners are moving in the right direction..... Improving things, rather than continuing to have a blind eye to the decay, disrepair, and unsafe conditions. They have a long way to go, but wish them luck.....for everyones sake.

Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank s l

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Carlisle, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I know there is a lot of bad reviews for Inlet View. I also know that I cannot really afford to nor would like to stay at any other campground for many reasons. Nostalgia is a real big one. Yes, It is not as good as it once was, but they are working on it. I appreciate that! I love the view. Pods of Dolphins pass daily. Tons of boats every day. Skeeter Island is always in view along with Wallops Islands planes. I have fished off that point since I was big enough to hold a pole. I have pictures of my Grandmother with a Flounder as large as a pick-up's tire. I walked the road back to bunker hill thousands of times. It means alot to me that I am able to rent a camper on the waterfront for a decent and affordable price. I continue to introduce new people to that campground. In fact, I am taking my Step-mom and our friend to the campground at the end of June 2012. We know not to expect 5 star accomodations. They are a small campground trying to make things better. It takes lots of time and money to do that. I can't wait until the last week of June comes and I get to be right at the waters edge again....mosquitoes and all!

Room Tip: Don't expect five star! Waterfront is awesome and worth it!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Virginia B
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I used to go here every summer as a child. I recently returned and was amazed by how run down the place is now. The city marina is conveniently located next to the campground and the pool is a new thing, but everything else has not changed in 30 years. Coming into the camp the go-carts we used to ride are all closed up. The camp store is as I remember. The same broken playground equipment I used as a kid is still there right next to the store. The same permanent trailers keep getting older and older and are not taken care of. The annual prices have gotten so high that some people have abandoned their trailers and given them to the campground. They use them as rentals. There is no way that the money is used to upkeep the camp. The bath houses are still the same with nasty, smelly water seeping out of the ground behind them. There is no water access even though the camp is on the water. Beach erosion is taking over so concrete construction debris now lines the entire shoreline to prevent it. The boat ramp is closed and the dock and pier are condemned. The feral cats are still there too. There just aren't that many of them now.
It is sad to see that this key property on the island has gone to waste. I was disgusted to show my family where I used to spend my summer vacations. I don't ever need to go back there again. It won't get any better as long as the permanent and condemned trailers are there.
If you want to camp on Chincoteague I would recommend Tom's Cove. No permanent trailers and much more modern. It's the way a campground should be.

Room Tip: Go to Tom's Cove!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank pcjmcm

Travellers are raving about these Chincoteague Island hotels

Elmwood Park, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Despite the reviews, we stayed at this campground in one of the cottages. This is a perfect example of not believing everything you read. We took the time to call and ask questions and the owner was extremely pleasant to chat with. Keep in mind that this is a campground and not a resort. Having said that, the staff was without a doubt one of the nicest and friendliest bunch of people I have come across in a long time. The grounds were constantly being cleaned and prepared for the incoming visitors. Everything was easily accessible, prices were great, the camp store was fully stocked and most importantly, I was told, if I need anything just ask-this time I actually believed it. Additionally, the seasonal visitors accepted us as there own and it was nice to have someone wave and say, "hi nieghbor"! We actually wanted to stay another night or two. We recommend this campground and look forward to visiting again!

Room Tip: Cottage 1 is located closest to the water.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Mike E
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I have visited Chincoteague Island frequently in the past 15 years and have seen this campground at it's worst. Luckily, new management has taken over and I can't believe the difference! The campground has been cleaned up and looks great! Definitely family friendly and will provide a nice vacation experience!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Chris w
chincoteague
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I have been coming to Chincoteague for about 30 years. Rode around this campground for the first time yesterday. The less desirable parts of d.c., made this place look like beverly hills. I felt like i was in the barbary coast, san fran., ca, of years past. Squalor, decay, corrosion, etc. It recked of despair, shamelessness.....a sign could read.... Anything goes here...we don't care.....for what ever reason..... hopelessness, drugs, alcohol, etc. Not a place any self respecting person would want to be.. stay away...scary!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay away!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank s l
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 August 2011

As life-long campers (tent), we've seen lots of places from east to west, and this place is at the very very bottom. The place is filled with permanent camping vehicles, which many appear to be easily condemnable. We went to bed in our tents only to be awakened by gunshots or M-80s being fired off by folks at a party in a nearby trailer site. The party went on until 4am! The other comments about the cats are true, and there was litter and junk everywhere, The bath house had maggots and hair so thick in the drain the water could not escape. Disgusting to say the very least. The grumpy greetings at check in were a bonus, too. Go to Maddox campsites if you plan to camp here in Chincoteague -or get a hotel! Don't camp here.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family