“Pleasant stay, no complaints”
Review of Tom's Cove Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chincoteague Island
Tom's Cove Park
Virgiinia
“Pleasant stay, no complaints”
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We rented an RV for 3 nights to take our grandson on a little trip. We showed up in the afternoon and got a waterfront site with electric and water. Really quiet, nice pier and pool. Since we were on the water, it was a pretty long walk to the store and the trolley stop just outside of the gate. Yes, there were lots of people that live there year-round and their "building" styles unique, but the campground seems to have done a good job of keeping the vacationer/travelers separate from the year-rounders. The bathrooms were fine, the toilets flushed and were clean, better than an outhouse for sure! You ARE camping, after all, its no Hilton, but its well-kept and safe feeling. The trolley was fun AND a bargain....

Room Tip: this is not a hotel, the room is good as the one you bring! check out the map to get exactly what yo...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank gointonegril

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Middletown, Delaware, United States
Reviewed 10 June 2013

My family and I stay here every summer for at least a few days. We love Tom's Cove. There are always activities for the kids, the clubhouse is awesome, the pool is clean and safe. There is a dock for fishing and crabbing. You can get a waterfront site and launch your kayaks right from your camp site. I will recommend this establish and patronize it many many times. The campsites are small and there is no fire pits. You must bring or dig your own. I love the people and camp store is always fully stocked. Just a wonderful place to stay.

Room Tip: Make sure you look at the site map well to choose a spot in a nice place
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ktruitt
Murfreesboro
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Tom's Cove Park campground rates at the low end of lodging...I visited there before Labor Day weekend 2012 and found the bathrooms to be filthy and unsanitary! Hair and dirt in the sinks, at least 1/4 inch of dirt on the floor, dead bugs every where. The toilets seemed clean but the floor around them was very dirty as well. The door to the bathroom is left wide open and the screen ventilation has been covered up with rigid slitted panels, so it is a sweat box in the summer! Flies, too! The roads and pathways here have not been regravelled or covered with crushed seashells in many years, making the ground uneven and debris visible. There is a young guy with a gold chain in the front office who has a barracuda like personality and takes it out on the customers - he has no business dealing with the public! Otherwise, the other folks in the office seem to be OK. All public buildings need to be cleaned and mopped daily and the roadways need to be raked weekly...this isn't rocket science. On the way home, I experienced a flat tire, which I believe was the result of staying at Tom's Cove Park. PLEASE NOTE: The MADDOX FAMILY CAMPGROUND (on Maddox Road) is a better value.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank N2Histry
Burke, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 15 August 2012

After reserving a campsite (electricity, water, sewer, and cable) for 5 nights, I checked out tripadvisor for reviews. A couple scared me: old-looking permanent residents, drag-racing teenagers in golf carts at all hours, police harassment, a male office attendant (the owner?) who was surly and disrespectful. Well, nothing could have been further from the truth.

During our stay, we needed extra coax cable because the outlet was 1 or 2 campsites away. I had brought extra cable, but not enough. The surly male office attendant mentioned above couldn't have been nicer. He apologized, gave me long extra cable and an appropriate adapter, since I probably wouldn't have one. Turned out, it wasn't enough cable. I went back. He didn't sneer, but couldn't believe it. Got another loop of cable, and said he'd drive me back in his golf cart to see what was going on. Sure enough. He saw the distant box and said he didn't know about this situation, but was glad he could help.

After a day there, the AC in our rental RV started to act like a water spigot on the interior cabin roof. That company's customer service was no help (I may have to post complaints elsewhere about that!), but Tom's Cove folks were very understanding. They issued us a credit slip for the remainder of our stay valid for one year. That was nice!

Yes, there are some old beat-up permanent residents. But they're probably all retirees. As for the teenage dragsters: never saw a one. There is a security patrol as well that patrols regularly at night. No police needed. Folks fold up at 11 p.m. as advertised. It's a nice quite place at night. Most folks are too busy toasting marshmallows with their families to be doing much else. Fellow campers: great bunch. Those leaving who have extra firewood ask neighbors if they want the remainder. Shower facilities: neat and clean with hot water. Country store: well stocked and reasonably priced. Ok. You have to pay with a check up front, but the store is cash or plastic. I liked it! And the location and the staff there are excellent. Too bad this RV company is giving me a hard time with the early return, because the little vacation I had, thanks to Tom's Cove only, was perfect.

Room Tip: Rooms = camp sites for this review. Nothing guaranteed by the management, but request shade. If yo...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dennis P
ocean city
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Just arrived home today from 4 nights at Tom's Cove Park. We were there specifically for the Pony Penning. This was a first time camping for me in a long time! We were in a non hookup tent site (section A) . I was surprised at how big the site was! It was just two of a staying in one 9x7 tent and we had plenty of room for a smaller tent for our supplies, camp chairs, grill and more. Each site had it's own picnic table. I liked how each site was partitioned off. (The Maddox campground non hookup area doesn't have that). There were trees every where so it was shady too!
The park was pretty full due to the pony penning but it didn't seem crowded. We never had to wait for the showers or restrooms. The showers and restrooms by our tent area were adequate but the ones a little further away were more modern. The camp store had everything we would need at a reasonable price. All the employess were friendly to us.

Quiet time in the park should start a bit earlier than 11 pm.

We went into the club house every night to charge cameras and phones back up. It was pretty hot in there. They did have fans running but air conditioning would have been nice!

All in all we had a great time and are planning to return next year!

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs in case the camper next door snores really loud like our neighbor did!!!
1 Thank trashedbunny
Jamaica
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Our family has been staying at Tom's Cove for 10+ years and up until this year we've had a pleasant experience. We've tried on repeated occasions throughout the years to reserve campsites and year-to-date we've been unable to do so. Each year we reserve by mail, send in our 40$ deposit, and cross our fingers, but we always end up on a site we don't want. This year my mom pulls in only to find that 2 out of the 3 sites she "reserved" are taken so she asks about the third only to hear "it's already reserved". So after a brief disagreement the camp store agrees to let her rent that site. On Friday she's told she needs to move her camper because someone else has already rented her campsite. She tells the woman politely that she doesn't have help at the moment because everyone was on the boat. The woman then rudely tells her she has an hour to move her camper to another site. After that my mom went to the camp store and told them she only rented the site for one more day and then they could rent it to whomever they wanted after that. When she returned to her site she had a note on her door telling her that the next time they had to come to her site the police would be with her. Later that night at around 2 am she awoke to lights flashing outside her camper and a police officer threatening to arrest her for trespassing because the camp ground owner claimed she had not had permission to rent that site. The police officer told her she had until 8 am to leave the site and the campground or she would be taken into custody.

I don't think this place is very friendly to their loyal customers of over 10+ years. My mother felt harassed and embarassed by them and they treated her unfairly. Over all this place is aweful and we will not be returning next year.

22 Thank blahblahblah154
Mercersburg, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I had been camping at Toms Cove for many many years. My family has permanent sites year round. But, this year changed everything. It is common knowledge that the campground does not accept reservations for specific sites. I camped there in July this year. I was asked to move to another location 2 nights before my 10 days would end. The way I was asked was by the manager coming to my camper and threatening me . Not only that, but by sending a police officer to charge me with trespassing if I did not move to another location to allow someone else to take over the site that I had rented for 2 more nights. I have never been so embarrassed in all my life. My daughter was celebrating her birthday there and we had to pack up in the pouring rain.

17 Thank Beverly S