“Great, Fun Place”
Review of Tom's Cove Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chincoteague Island
Tom's Cove Park
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Great place to camp. Water everywhere including the pool. Camp store provides all you need and within a few miles of downtown. Relaxing family fun place. Large camp sites. You can see the Chincoteague lighthouse from the park.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I tried Toms Cove as a shot in the dark on the Saturday evening of Labor Day weekend 2013. My previous plans fell through and I was stuck without a site. When I came into the office I spoke to a very nice lady who -- surprisingly -- told me there was space available if I wanted to pay $50 a night. Frankly, she could have gone higher with no arguement from me under the circumstances. I got a nice sized pull through so I didn‘t even have to unhook. No fire rings, but there were shallow firepits. Camp store seemed pretty well stocked for a holiday weekend, I at least could get sandwich makings so I was happy. My neighbors were friendly, and it was quiet where I was (in front of the trailer/boat storage area). I only stayed one night since I had reservations in Rehoboth Beach the next day, but I'm certainly not sorry I stayed here.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Bill S
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is a low key, laid back, relaxing campground. If your looking for non stop entertainment this isn't the place but that's why we love it. I've been going there since I was a kid and now I take my son, which we named Cove after TomsCove. This campground has a pool, small playground, small arcade and snack bar, very clean bath houses which some are unisex which is wonderful for families. And don't forget the wonderful view with several piers to fish and crap off of. I could go on forever but I highly recommend this campground its the perfect place for a laid back vacation. Oh and by the way DONT GO TO THE INLETVIEW CAMPGROUND!! That's how we ended up at TomsCove, after one night of fearing for our lives at the inletview campground we found TomsCove and go every year.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We ended up at Tom's Cove after having a horrible experience at another camping property. This should have definitely been our first choice. The camp sites are a great size. Enough to fit a 10 person tent our car, camp fire and picnic table. We had a great view of the water and bot launch and went out at caught our own clams and oysters. The people here are super friendly we made friends with a lot of new people. The staff was great and the bathrooms were always kept clean. It was a little crowded, but it was Memorial Day weekend and every one was very respectful of noise and space. A lot of the people who were there are people who have been coming since they were kids and their parents went there too. Overall, a great place and we can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I was a bit skeptical about camping in Chincoteague as all the campsites have several horror story reviews. I went with Tom's Cove mainly because they were having a huge all you can eat seafood festival. I would call this more of an All Night dance party Nascar Redneck tailgate, and less "camping". We had a good time, for our one night stay, but we probably will never return.

The first thing that I find hilarious is that this campground does not allow you to make reservations online or even through a telephone call. Instead you have to mail them a check using something called mail (I think it is the paper form of e-mail). It was very easy and I had no issues. However, I imagine that this business loses out on hundreds of customers with their mail policy. Just signs of a poorly run business stubbornly set in their ways. And no, this is not "charming" or "part of the allure" of this place. It is a stupid business decision. However, since people stay away it means more sites are open, which is good. I'm fine with this policy.

The check-in process was easy. The people don't help you with a smile on their face, but they weren't mean or anything. I asked for a waterside site in my reservation letter and was shocked to find out that they gave us one. The waterside sites are really cool (but $60 per night), close to the fishing pier too. They also seem to open/close the camp store whenever, so get all the firewood you need before it gets dark.

Now on to the camping. I'm sorry, I mean the Nascar tailgate...

First thing you will notice about this campground is that there is a huge chunk of trailers for permanent residents. You might call this a trailer park...because...it is one. Outside of those there are several campsites jam packed onto the property.

Each site has a picnic table but does not have a fire ring. This wasn't really a problem. The sites are pretty small, but no issues for us with one car and one giant tent. You will most likely have people on both sides of you, very very close. The guys next to us had their trucks parked partially on our turf. We didn't care.

Also if you are waterside, don't be surprised if people walk all over your campsite to look at the water. One guy even used our picnic table...what?! They won't even say "excuse me". Another guy came over, i kid you not, with 8 hamburger buns, walked past us sitting in our camp chairs, and threw the burger buns on the ground and walked away...

You will notice a lot of people driving around on golf carts. You will also notice a lot of people walking around drinking beer and cursing. I would NOT take kids here, no way in hell. Some groups even drank all day, then piled into cars and drove to the bar, then drove back. So always be vigilant.

On the night we stayed (Saturday night) some campers had music blasting til midnight. When I say blasting I mean it sounded like Shaggy was singing "shorty you're my angel" directly into my ear when it was coming from 30 campsites down. (their mix tape, not mine)

The people were having a dance party, playing cornhole, and drinking like fish. Til MIDNIGHT!!! The campground DOES NOT care about noise, so if you want to have an all night tailgate, this is your spot. Make your bedtime around midnight or be angry.

I actually thought this was cool and you can just walk around and join other camper parties which is fun. It did bother me when I was sleepy and my tent was shaking from the bass. (It literally could be heard from 1/2 mile outside the campground). The campers are all friendly (albeit drunk) and they will share beer, firewood, food, or whatever you want.

The fishing pier was nice and very close to our site. The camp store is also convenient when it is open. The clubhouse/arcade was not open at this time. Since we were there just 1 night we didn't even use the showers. They looked ok.

Overall we didn't think Chincoteague had much to offer. If we returned to the island we would either have another binge drinking camp party for one night or stay at a hotel/b&b. But we'd most likely make that sloppy drunk fest party at Tom's Cove Park over the other choices in town.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Chris C
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Seriously? No credit cards? No on-line or phone reservations? It's like they have just dug their heels in and said "heck no, we won't modernize!" Once you get past that, it's a good place. The bath houses are dated, but absolutely clean. Good hot water. Sites are decent sized. No fire rings. Lots of seasonal renters, but they're in a separate area. Location on the inlet is interesting. Three separate crabbing/fishing piers. We were there before things got busy, and the store was pretty bare. Not well stocked at all. Might be better later. Not muddy or dirty, and the sandy soil drains well, which was good because it rained like heck while we were there. The staff we interacted wth were very friendly and helpful. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Loop N was our choice. Big pine trees.