“Home away from home”

Birchwood Inn
Junction City, Kansas
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I chose the Birchwood Motel when traveling with my 4 y/o son because of the reviews about how wonderful the guy who runs the place is. Safety is a huge concern of mine when I travel with just my son. I was more than pleased with Rick, and reviews are not exaggerating when they speak of him. We arrived late, and unannounced. The office was technically closed, but Rick took the time to check us in, and ask me questions about our visit. He gave us appropriate pamphlets for the next day. My son was being a little rambunctious while we were trying to talk, but Rick didn't mind, he understood what a child who had been in a car for hours was like, and spent some time talking to my son too.
The rooms are nothing special, but there's a bed, and a tv, and it's all very clean. I wasn't looking for anything fancy this trip because I knew we weren't going to spend much time at the hotel, but we would be getting up and exploring the island.
In the morning, there was coffee, cereal, and coffee cakes available, but the best part was the foals grazing on the fairgrounds next door! I absolutely love horses, and that was the best breakfast ever.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank klea03

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Hanover, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We spent a lovely long weekend at the Birchwood in mid September. I travel a lot for business and found the personal attention of the Birchwood to be a refreshing change of pace from the sterile chain motel experience.
Rick and Jeanne are diligently preserving this cozy piece of Chincoteague history. The motel is within easy walking distance to downtown, there is a long fishing pier for those inclined and the foals in the next-door carnival grounds are very cute.
If you want some low-key time away from the usual motel experience you will be well-suited to give the Birchwood a call.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ezelte
maryland
Reviewed 22 September 2013

clean room, great price, owner offered me towels to wipe the dew off my bike in the morning and allowed us to check out a little late to watch the rocket launch from his pier. When we arrived at the motel we were both froze from our ride their and he made us both a cup of coffee before he even knew we were going to stay their. highly recommend

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank drager
Pittsgrove, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 August 2013

If you want a CLEAN, relaxing motel, stay here. Rick is very accommodating and helpful and just a down-right nice person.
And did I say Clean room? I know this might sound strange but it's important to us
We will definitely stay here again.
Thanks Rick !

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Shannon K
MelTrot, Public Relations Manager at Birchwood Inn, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Thanks for the review. We look forward to having you as guests again at the Birchwood soon. Have a terrific weekend!
Plainville, Connecticut
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My nephew and I stayed here for three nights the first week of August. We had a very nice time. It is an older motel that could probably benefit from a few upgrades, especially the carpeting, but it was clean overall and spacious. There is a little bit of a musty smell about the room, but I think that you are likely to find that anywhere on an island in the middle of the humid summer. (Beachy smells, I guess, more accurate than musty.) The microwave and mini fridge is nice to have. The gentleman who checked us in was very friendly and knowledgable about the area. He was very pleasant and chatty every time we saw him. The private pier across the street was the reason we picked this particular motel as my nephew was only interested in fishing and it was definitely a highlight of the trip. The pool was very nice and clean. The island is pretty small, so I think no matter where you stay, you are within a few minutes drive of the beach and there is the trolley (which we never took advantage of) that will get you around the island for 25 cents a trip! This particular motel was a few blocks away from the little downtown shopping area but a bit further away from the other touristy places like the mini golf and ice cream places, but I actually like that we weren't staying right in the middle of all that. Close enough to drive to any of those places within a few short minutes and if you rented bikes, you'd be fine to hop on and pedal anywhere you needed to go. The free breakfast was nice for the coffee and friendly conversations with the host and other guests, but if you don't like sweets at breakfast you might have to stock the mini fridge in your room with healthier choices. They did have several choices of cereal, but otherwise it was danish and pastries; no fruit or yogurt or anything like that. If you are used to really fancy, high end hotels, this may not be for you, but if you like friendly, family oriented, low key kinds of stays, this place is nice for that. I'd stay here again for the fishing pier and the location away from the "busy" area of town. (It is right next to the fair grounds, but there was nothing going on there during our stay).

Room Tip: Definitely call the hotel directly to book. I got a better price than anything advertised online.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Jnmpro
Thank you for your review. We're glad you and your nephew enjoyed your stay with us and were able to relax on the pier and in the pool during your stay.
We look forward to another opportunity to host you at the Birchwood, and once again, thank you for your comments!
Mundelein, Illinois
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I recently stayed at this motel with my family on a road trip vacation for just one night. We had two rooms for 5 of us. The location was great. It was minutes from the beach, directly across the way from a pier that the co-owners informed us we could us, and near to shops and restaurants in town. Upon arriving, the co-owner greeted us at check-in and filled our ears with lots of information about the area, crabbing equipment available and how to to get to many places. We did check out the pier in the morning, and it was very nice and would be a great place for fishing or crabbing, especially with little ones. We appreciated the views. The rooms were ok. They were clean, but dated (they lacked hair dryers). The rooms did come with fly swatters, but there were only a few flys and they were all outside the rooms. Our mini fridges worked great, and there were nice chairs to sit in outside. The continental breakfast in the morning was good, consisting of cereal and many store bought danishes, as well as juice and coffee. The best part however were the smiling co-owners helping you get what you needed to eat and opening the doors in and out. They also knew lots of things to start your day with such as the weather forecast and hours of the beach and other in town activities. Overall, it was a great stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Lizzy B
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I've been to the Birchwood multiple times and have always had a pleasant experience. The owners are very sociable and personally escorted me to my room. They always inquire how my stay is going, if I’m comfortable, and if I need anything. Breakfast is my favorite part of the stay; making small talk with the owners and other guests. If you are looking for a fun, comfortable, and affordable vacation experience this is the place to go! It is not the Ritz Carlton, but it is an awesome, clean, family-friendly establishment.

Room Tip: Always call before you book, typically you can get a cheaper rate.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family