“Really liked this motel”
Review of Refuge Inn

Refuge Inn
Reviewed 27 July 2011

The Refuge Inn was far better than any of the motels I remember staying in when I was a kid! The rooms were well decorated and clean. Our porch looked out on the ponies which was pleasant. Breakfast was sufficient. You can tell the motel was built before free breakfast was the norm so the eating area is small. Loved the location - immediately before the bridge to Assateague and the beautiful beaches there. Would recommend this motel without hesitation (and the room rate was great!)

1  Thank ACJKD
Write a ReviewReviews (1,006)

Reviewed 23 July 2011

We stayed there with our two children, aged 5 and 1 for two nights on a short break. The people are very friendly and helpful, and the inn is spotless and clean. And very close to the beach! About a five minute drive.

The pool is great. When I first heard it was half indoors, I was a bit concerned, but it was fantastic. It is all open, and the half indoor part really just offers some shade, which was great with the 1 year old. And there are plants all around, it was very nice. We would definitely stay the again.

Reviewed 19 July 2011

My family - wife, 13 yo girl and 5 yo twins - stayed for 4 nights starting July 11 and loved every minute of it. The heat was intense the first couple of days and we found the pool to be a welcome respite. Every morning before setting off the kids would feed the ponies and my youngest daughter and I would forage through the breakfast selections. As noted by others, the seating is limited as are the breakfast choices, but we were always asked whether we wanted french toast or waffles - the breakfast ladies were very nice. We stayed in a second floor room with a balcony our first 3 nights and a first floor room that faced the parking lot when we decided to stay an extra night. Both rooms were very nice, although our second room had a humidifier so it wasn't quite as musty. We really enjoyed our stay there and feel we got good value, especially compared to other resort towns.

Reviewed 16 July 2011

A group of us from work stayed at this inn. I stayed in deluxe queen room. The layout of the room was nice but, the room had an intense musky odor. The bed was as hard as a rock and seemed smaller than a queen. The free breakfast in the morning wasn't very great. The inn offers free wi-fi but, it never worked right. I had issues with making a connection to surf the web, it appeared as if the router would time out. You would be lucky if you got 5 minutes to check your email.They had 5 hotspots to connect to and other guests that I have talked with stated that they can connect to the hot spot but not to the internet and some of them complained to the front desk. So for the whole week some of us walked to the Best Western across the street to piggy back on to their wi-fi.
The worst part about this place was the ponies... well ponies are great, i love them but, the ponies on the property seemed unhealthy. When feeding them I noticed that a few of them had pink eye. The pen that they held the ponies in seemed quite small for how many ponies they had in there. It was slightly depressing to see these animals in a very unpleasant area and infected with pink eye.
Overall, this place isn't exactly that bad but not great either. For well over $130 a night I wouldn't stay here again. Though I will say that the staff was very nice but, if you have an issue like say your AC went out in the room or the toilet doesn't work and its well past midnight, there is no staff on site so you can't call the front desk, you actually have to call an outside number to get a manager.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank evilbetty
Refugeinn, Owner at Refuge Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2011

The ponies referred to as being unhealthy are our dear senior citizen ponies, one is 32 & the other is 35 years old. We have owned them since birth where they have lived either at The Refuge Inn or The Chincoteague Pony Farm. Just as humans, when we get old we start looking a bit frail, that does not always mean unhealthy.
One of our ponies suffered an eye injury many years ago and lost her eye, perhaps you thought this was pink eye but in actually she has no eye. Our vet has checked each one since your complaint and there is no pink eye in our herd.
All of our beds are queen or king size, nothing smaller unless it is a rollaway cot.
We are actively seeking to improve our internet connection and have discovered that people camping in the campground behind us have enjoyed tapping into our service and will be requiring a password from now on so only OUR guest can use the services. 2 of our routers have been replaced and we will continue to make improvements as the ever changing needs of our guest continue and will no longer be an issue for complaints
We do hope you had some time during your working trip to enjoy Chincoteague, the delicious seafood, beautiful beaches and the slow relaxed pace that is what we call Island Time.

Reviewed 15 July 2011

We just returned from a 6-night stay at the Refuge Inn and we were very pleased. When looking for a hotel, we specifically wanted to stay away from a chain (just didn't feel right on an island like Chincoteague.) The chains also seemed expensive. We considered a number of options but kept returning to the Refuge Inn. We were not disappointed. The hotel is very clean and well maintained. Comfortable, quiet and tastefully decorated. Good value for the money in my opinion. Our room had a small refrigerator, coffee maker, hair dryer. No iron though. Each room has balcony/patio but lack an outside light so ours didn't get use at night. Have common area ice and soda/snack vending machines as well as well as a microwave and washer/dryer. Free internet access in the lobby. The location is good, very close to the entrance to Assateague. We could walk to the bridge connecting the islands to go crabbing. There are several restaurants nearby. (A McDonald's of all things is right next to the hotel but the paddock/trees kind of hide it so it wasn't a distraction.) A convenience store and dollar store are within walking distance which was great for beach snacks, forgotten items, etc. Breakfast offered a variety of options which were changed up slightly from day to day - fruit, cereal, juices, coffee/tea, breads and a featured item such as waffles or eggs. It wasn't gourmet but better than the coffee and stale muffins many small hotels call 'breakfast.' The breakfast seating area is quite small, however, and a couple of mornings we had to wait for a table to open up (5-10 min max.) There is an outdoor pool, which is partially covered and of average size for a hotel. Depth ranges from 3' to 8' I think and slopes down quite rapidly. This concerned me at first, but my 6 year old had adequate room to play in the shallow part. There is a courtyard with grills, picnic tables and swings. Of course, there are ponies on site and my son got a free bag of food, which thrilled him. All in all, it was a terrific experience. I offer the few "negatives" to give a complete picture but they were very minor in my opinion. I would definitely return!

3  Thank mmp430
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We stayed at the hotel for 4 night beginning of July 2011. I booked it based on positive reviews on this web site. I was very disappointed as soon as we opened our room we discovered a moldy and moist smell and that horrible moist smell, which was probably in the dirty wet carpets. I started having headache immediately as I’m allergic to mold. I went to the front desk and asked to change a room, the lady at the reception desk wasn’t really happy to do it, but they found a room at the different floor for us, which had a dehumidifier. Room has smell as well, but not as bad as the first room . Now I think this hotel will do better with just tile or vinyl floors, no carpet, as the weather is very humid at summer and carpet is wet a lot. Air-condition unit and dehumidifier were very loud , but at least they blocked outside noise for us.
We like a location of the hotel, just near an entrance to the beach, hotel grounds were nice kept . Our son enjoyed watching and feeding horses outside of the hotel. Bike rental nearby is a plus as well, but we didn’t use it . We had a patio room which will just near a parking lot, so we always worried that our 2 years old son would ran to the drive way full of cars.
Breakfast choices were limited there, it was enough for me, but not for my husband and he made a stop at McDonald's each morning for Eggs McMuffin. No meat was provided and scrambled eggs was probably from the concentrate as they had an unnatural taste.
Hotel was pretty expensive for our budget, we saved a little bit used AAA discount. I’m not sure if we will stay there again or if we will look for different hotel or rental property next year.

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony
Reviewed 10 July 2011

My family just returned from a week long trip to Chincoteague, VA and stayed at the Refuge Inn. On the positive side this hotel offers nicely decorated rooms, a great location, a good pool, a well-equiped gym, a sauna, and a hot tub. The staff was also very helpful and nice.
Now onto the bad.
Wifi - The free "wifi" (and I use that term very loosely) was one of the worst connections I've seen in the last 10 years. I've stayed at several other hotels on Chincoteague and have had no problems with the internet at any of them, but the one at the Refuge Inn was terrible. My husband and I both relyed on the being able to use our laptops for work, but it was impossible. If we were able to connect at all the connection was so slow that we weren't even able to send a simple email. Often it would just kick us out altogether. The only way my husband could log on one day was to walk out into the parking lot facing the bike rental building and use their internet. Even the desktop in the lobby couldn't log on at times.
Cleaning - When we arrived our room was very clean and looked great, but over the course of the week the cleaning service really fell off. They did the essentials - made the beds, took out the trash, brought clean towels and more shampoo but that's where it ended. I started to notice a build up of sand on the carpet and suspected that they weren't vacuuming at all. One night my daughter dropped a piece of pasta on the tile floor by the sliding glass door so I left it to see if they would get it. They did not. I wasn't surprised. The toilet even had a ring in it by the end of the week because they hadn't even swished it out. On our last day we hung the privacy sign and opted not to have it cleaned. Why bother?
Breakfast - ok, so they advertise a free hot breakfast every day. And that it true. But don't expect to get any kind of meat at all. Every day they offered one hot item and it repeated every 3 days. French toast, waffles, eggs, french toast, waffles, eggs. I think they always served eggs on Saturdays. And not good eggs. I joked and called them Space Shuttle eggs, but I wouldn't doubt it if they really did buy powdered eggs from NASA down the road. They had cereal and oatmeal, some kind of fruit, and things to toast. But they didn't even have plain white or wheat bread. Our only choices were raisin bread, english muffins, or some weird bread with seeds in it. My daughter is a bit of a picky eater so she really got the short end of the stick. Even muffins or doughnuts would have been a welcome change once in a while. We were also a bit turned off by the time that breakfast was served. It didn't start until 7:30 each day, which is late for us. Maybe we're just early risers but we did notice that a lot of other people seemed to be waiting for breakfast time to start as well. If you didn't get to the breakfast room by 7:45 you would not get a table, especially on weekends. The time also conflicted with several of the morning programs offered at the wildlife refuge.
You're not going to find a true luxery hotel in Chincoteague and overall, this really isn't a bad place to stay but there are better options. Of course they tend to be more expensive but depending on what you're looking for you might be better off to pay a bit more.

Refugeinn, Owner at Refuge Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2011

We have addressed your concern with our internet service provider and are constantly exploring ways to improve the service that we are receiving. This includes adding amplifiers and additional services from other providers. Improving the service that we offer is extremely important to us and we strive to keep up with the changing needs of our guests’.
We make every attempt to give our guests a wonderful stay. Our staff takes pride in having the reputation of being a very clean establishment. Our tenured housekeeping staff constantly receives rave reviews directly from our guests on their efforts and an almost unprecedented 100% top rating when our guests submit written comments to management. All rooms are vacuumed daily, bathrooms cleaned, counters wiped, etc., unless the request to not be disturbed has been left on the door by the guest.
Our breakfast is advertised as a free Continental Breakfast, not as a full breakfast or a hot breakfast. The addition of French Toast, Waffles, and Eggs are added bonuses to what a normal Continental Breakfast would include. Our eggs are not powdered, nor are they purchased from NASA. When offered, they are cooked in our kitchen by the breakfast staff. While our breakfast room does have a limited number of tables available, once vacated, they are immediately cleaned and ready for other guests’ use. There are also trays available so that guests can enjoy their breakfast in the comfort of their room.
As always, we value input from all our guests & do utilize it in our consideration for upgrades and improvements.