“Comfortable stay”
Review of Refuge Inn

Refuge Inn
Reviewed 3 October 2011

This was my first visit to Chincoteague and I had read the reviews and talked to others about their visit and where to stay. I decided on the Refuge Inn based on that information. I had wanted a hotel that was not a chain and perhaps reflected the island's charm. I think that is what the Refuge Inn does. I was pleasantly surprised that the room was a little bigger than I had imagined. It was also a very clean room with everything looking clean, vacuumed and neat. The hotel is older looking in the hallways, but that was to be expected. I read where some reviews mentioned it smelled a little musty in the rooms. Well when you are on an island surrounded by swamp and the water, anywhere you go will have that "island smell" to it. So that was not an issue. The pool area was very nice. And even though it was only about 60 outside the pool is heated and several were making use of it. We climbed a tiny staircase to the observation deck on top of the hotel. There really isn't a different view considering the trees that are close by. But it is a nice deck area up there. The hotel is close to the Assateague Wildlife Refuge and we rode our bikes there. That is very convenient. What I loved about the hotel was the pony pen. Adorable ponies! The hotel also has a continental breakfast. The breakfast on our day consisted of 3 types of cereals, raisin and white bread, english muffins, french toast (which was very good) and hard boiled eggs, hot and cold drinks and fruits. It was plenty to choose from and a nice variety. The price of the hotel was good although when I made my reservation I asked for the AAA rate and after leaving saw that it was not given. Not a deal breaker though. This hotel is great for families and couples.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Katydids61
Write a ReviewReviews (1,016)

Reviewed 20 September 2011

This was a pleasant change from our usual chain hotel/motel stays. Upon check-in, I noticed (actually we couldn't help but notice once it was opened) that our fridge stunk like fish. The front desk gave us a different fridge immediately...problem solved. Our kids liked seeing the hotel's ponies next to the parking lot and you can pay to feed them. The free breakfast was nice and the lady replenishing the food supply was friendly and helpful. My recommendation is that they remove a few display stands touting local wares and replace them with tables for eating. We really liked the indoor/outdoor heated pool. The place was clean too. You couldn't get physically any closer to the Assateague refuge than this hotel, it was right by the bridge.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the picnic area.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank FrauMom
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We had a very pleasant stay in September--the Inn was sold out even though it was the beginning of the off season. Not a fancy resort but was perfectly clean, comfortable and nice for the price. We booked our room within 48 hours and got 20% off which was awesome (check your bill-discount wasn't originally on there). Not on the water but the location is still great, right outside of the entrance to Asseteague with plenty of nearby dining. Room had a comfortable King bed, minifridge, coffee machine, patio, flatscreen TV and DVD player (bring some movies--no nightlife in Chincoteague--or rent from Steve's down the street). Pool, hot tub, ponies, and bike rentals onsite. Breakfast was ok--oatmeal, cereals, breads and french toast. Staff was friendly.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the pool side facing the courtyard/grills--nicer to have your balony facing tha...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank khark
Reviewed 18 September 2011

I recently stayed at the Refuge Inn with my grown children. When I made the reservations I didn't request adjoining rooms but was pleased to find ours were. We were able to move between rooms easily and still had privacy. It was unseasonably cold and rained the entire trip. (Certainly not the fault of the management!). Luckily the rooms were big enough that 5 adults could move about and play board game, laugh, talk and make the best of our time there.

The ponies were adorable and the continental breakfast was adequate. If we wanted a more substantial meal there were plenty of nearby options. We will return to Chincoteaque and will certainly keep The Refuge Inn in mind!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Bee3207
Reviewed 18 September 2011

This is the only place I have stayed on Chincoteague and it is the only place I will ever stay. We were here for our honeymoon September 11-17 2011 and had an amazing stay. The King deluxe room was beautiful and the staff is simply wonderful. It feels like coming home when you stay here. Make sure to take advantage of the breakfast and the bike depot as well. Everyone here is extremely friendly and ready to answer any questions you may have. We can't wait to go back again this summer!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Excellent customer service and the whole place is like a small community. It's quiet, in a great location and everyone is super friendly. The rooms have a cute sweet charm but with modern necessities.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pony pen (it faces the assateague island side)
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank susieq829
Reviewed 9 September 2011

I always loved the Misty stories as a child and had always wanted to visit this island. Researched a lot of hotels on-line, almost booked a "chain" hotel, but am so glad we stayed at the Refuge Inn. The room was clean, great bath towels, comfy beds, nice sized, clean pool with lots of pool towels, even a hot tub! The complementary breakfast each day was a nice treat, something for everyone included in the buffet. Friendly desk staff, housekeeping staff very nice, always asking if we needed anything. Check out the roof top observatory and the meadow observatory at the rear of pony pasture next door. Wonderful views. I would definitely stay at the Refuge Inn on our next visit. It is close to the beach, good bike rental next door, nice staff there also. Reasonable bike and umbrella rentals. Definitely worth it to rent bikes and bike to the beach on the trail that only allows hikers & bikers. We did it early one morning and the beach is just beautiful. I cannot wait to go back to Chincoteague. Am still trying to talk my husband into retiring to this beautiful island paradise. Triple A+ for this hotel !!

Room Tip: The room on the 1st Floor was lovely - just one very minor thing - the rooms have humidifiers which...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family