This was my first visit to Chincoteague and I had read the reviews and talked to others about their visit and where to stay. I decided on the Refuge Inn based on that information. I had wanted a hotel that was not a chain and perhaps reflected the island's charm. I think that is what the Refuge Inn does. I was pleasantly surprised that the room was a little bigger than I had imagined. It was also a very clean room with everything looking clean, vacuumed and neat. The hotel is older looking in the hallways, but that was to be expected. I read where some reviews mentioned it smelled a little musty in the rooms. Well when you are on an island surrounded by swamp and the water, anywhere you go will have that "island smell" to it. So that was not an issue. The pool area was very nice. And even though it was only about 60 outside the pool is heated and several were making use of it. We climbed a tiny staircase to the observation deck on top of the hotel. There really isn't a different view considering the trees that are close by. But it is a nice deck area up there. The hotel is close to the Assateague Wildlife Refuge and we rode our bikes there. That is very convenient. What I loved about the hotel was the pony pen. Adorable ponies! The hotel also has a continental breakfast. The breakfast on our day consisted of 3 types of cereals, raisin and white bread, english muffins, french toast (which was very good) and hard boiled eggs, hot and cold drinks and fruits. It was plenty to choose from and a nice variety. The price of the hotel was good although when I made my reservation I asked for the AAA rate and after leaving saw that it was not given. Not a deal breaker though. This hotel is great for families and couples.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Exceed your expectations in this family owned inn where no detail is overlooked. The Refuge Inn is located within walking distance of the wildlife refuge and minutes from our beautiful undeveloped beach. Amenities include Continental Breakfast, Wireless Internet, Indoor/Outdoor Heated Pool, Hot Tub, Fitness Room, Bicycle & Beach Gear Rentals, Conference Room and Gift Shop. A Treasure of a place, Family Owned and Proudly Operated. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Refuge Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Refuge Hotel Chincoteague Island
- Refuge Chincoteague Island