I just completed a two-night stay at the Comfort Suites, Chincoteague Island. It was my first time to the area, and I visited with my tween daughter and her friend, who I just picked up from camp at the nearby marine institute. My choice of hotel was predicated on price, backed up by ratings on TripAdvisor. Thanks to a military rate, the Comfort Suites was by far the most reasonable choice among the top-rated hotels on the island, and I was not disappointed.
My experience with this chain has been mixed, but this hotel was clearly a notch above other at which I've stayed. The location is very convenient, located directly across the bridge from the mainland, and on the water. It is easy to get in and out of, which cannot be said for other places on the main road across the island.
The hotel was spotless, top to bottom, and they obviously car what people think (and write) about their property, and i have no problem with that. Check-in was easy and efficient -- as noted, you'll be advised of an in-room safe charge, but it is easily (and without question) removed at check-out. As noted, all of the rooms really do face the water. We had a long and somewhat narrow room, but it had two queen beds, a sofa bed, a lounger, a desk, and a small kitchen area with microwave and refrigerator. Very nice use of space. Yes, the porch is small, but there were two chairs and small table out there, and I really enjoyed sitting out there.
They have both an outdoor and indoor pool (including hot tub), and we made good use of the indoor pool. Again, it was very clean and not crowded, despite a full hotel.
I could not tell the age of the hotel, but regardless, it is very well built. I suspect it is built to hurricane code, which would explain how quiet the rooms are. We were on the second floor (of three) and I never heard people above or next to us, or even in the hallway. That was a nice change of pace. In fact, the only noise complaint I could lodge would be against the seagulls which flock outdoors and which did make a racket in the morning -- but that's nature, and part of the reason we were there.
Breakfast is included and I give them a thumbs up here. It had both hot and cold items and the staff was very active at restocking and cleaning up. As noted, the hotel was full, but they did an excellent job of keeping the area clean (and appetizing, if you know what I mean) despite the crowds. They have overflow seating in a conference room across from the eating area, so we encountered no problems getting seats either morning.
All hotels on the island are expensive (at least in summer). I was very satisfied with our stay and would not hesitate to return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of historic downtown Chincoteague, the Comfort Suites hotel offers the ideal way to enjoy all the beauty, history, recreation and adventure of Chincoteague Island. Whether its business or leisure that brings you to Virginia's only resort island, Comfort Suites lives up to it's name from the moment guests enter the lobby to be greeted by friendly, attentive staff. "Comfort" continues to be the operative word throughout the hotel, from the 87 oversized suites with waterfront views and spacious work and sitting areas, to on-site amenities that include a newly remodeled fitness center, indoor and outdoor pools, free continental breakfast and morning paper, guest laundry, fax & copy service, meeting facilities for 50 and free high speed internet service. Best of all, when it's time for fun, the options are endless on this small island. In town, there's great shopping, dining, galleries, boat rentals and fishing excursions. A visit to Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge on Assateague Island offers guests the oppertunity to catch a glimpse of some of the 260 species of birds as well as the wild Chincoteague ponies. Additionally, miles of biking and hiking trails wind through pine woods, marshes and freshwater ponds. Built in 1833, the Assateague lighthouse is a favorite attraction, as is the Assateague Island National Seashore, offering over 37 miles of unspoiled beachfront for swimming and water sports. Hotel guests also enjoy the NASA Visitor's Center as well as antique shopping, miniture golf and scenic day cruise excursions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Choice Hotels, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Comfort Suites Chincoteague reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Suites Chincoteague Hotel Chincoteague Island
- Comfort Suites Chincoteague Island
- Chincoteague Island Comfort Suites