Hampton Inn and Suites Chincoteague-Waterfront
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My two toddlers and I stayed at the hotel during the pony swim/auction. The staff was more than helpful and available to answer all questions, as well as provide additional materials to make our stay at the hotel feel more like staying at a home.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Write a ReviewReviews (1,383)

Reviewed 2 August 2014

After reading all the rave reviews, I was expecting something special. I was disappointed upon arrival: the room was musty smelling, the decor was average, and our view was half good and half bad, and the ac loud.

The front desk is friendly, the breakfast is the usual fare, and the location is excellent.

I rethought my expectations and realized it is a Hampton, not a luxury hotel, so that helped with the hefty nightly price. (Yes, it was my choice to stay during Pony Week).

I would not stay here again, not worth it.

Room Tip: Ask about your view -- all sides.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gypsy19
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I stayed here on July 25 and 26 for a special girls weekend with my 8 year old daughter. Although I expected from the website that we would have a view, sadly Room 101 is most likely the worst in the hotel. It was on the side of the building and the primary view from the patio was of the wall of the Comfort Inn next door (very close too). The patio wrapped around to view the parking lot and dumpsters. I could see a sliver of water if I stood at the railing and leaned over. Guests of the other hotel frequently used the sidewalk between the hotels and adjacent to my balcony/patio. Not a relaxing place to sit. Staff was friendly, but hotel was booked and I was told this was the only room available for both nights. Hotel was average at best. Room was a bit musty, but generally fine. Could hear noise above and outside in the hallway. Pool was small and my daughter thought it was not worth swimming in. Best part was the location - close to galleries downtown and walking distance to Island Creamery (which is great!). Plenty of parking. Chincoteague is lovely.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

If you every find your self in Chincoteague, Virginia and need a place to stay this is the hotel. The view from the room is truly calming after a hard day drive or work. From the time you walk through the door until you leave they make you feel like family. Tom Derrickson , General Manager has a very warm personality and that personality is reflected by all of the staff. This is a must stay hotel for all.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 July 2014

When II booked this hotel, I knew it had won several awards and was rated by Tripadvisor as the top hotel in Chincoteague. I stayed two nights over this past weekend and it was even better than the reviews. The staff was amazingly nice and helpful. The rooms were clean and comfy. The breakfast was better than the typical Hampton Inn. The pool and the hot tub were great, with nice warm/hot water. There is also a nice outdoor patio area at the back of the hotel where we brought back food from Capt Zack's take out seafood (also a great place) and ate one night.

The hotel is located right near (very walkable) all the cute shops, bay views, and restaurants in downtown Chincoteague. it is a short 5 minute drive to the island with the wild ponies and beach on it.

I highly recommend this hotel.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

My family and I arrived late to the hotel, so we were unable to see the grounds. Our room was at the end of the hall and the roll-away bed had been delivered, just as we had requested. It's always a good thing when your requests are handled promptly and correctly the first time. We made our way down for breakfast in the morning, but had to jockey around for a comfortable table for four people. The lobby is nice and has a great view of the waterfront, but the arrangement of chairs and tables is not optimized for comfort or convenience in my opinion. The offerings were standard Hampton's breakfast fare with a little southern twist which made it more palatable. The wrap around balcony is a nice touch. All in all a decent hotel experience for a off the beaten path location.

Room Tip: High floor, facing the waterfront.
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Best Hampton Inn I've ever stayed.

Good
1. Clean inside and outside the building! Abundance of towels. Beds comfy.
2. Decent size pool. Always full of towels.
3. Staff (cleaning crew, front desk, everybody) always cheery & greeted guests.
4. There's a dedicated guy who always looks out for the guests during breakfast, talking to guests. He's in addition to the folks cooking the breakfast.
5. The view is worth the hassle and expense. Diane was super helpful in finding me another room when I wanted a better view. On the other hand, I did ask for a waterside view, not a partial view.
6. Beautiful little boardwalk with rocker chairs and outside patio overlooking the bay. We had a couple meals out there and it was awesome watching the sunsets.

Bad
1. Surprised by the lack of tables for breakfast. The breakfast area is so nice and full of oversized comfy chairs that there's little room for chairs.
2. Smaller gym that what I've experienced elsewhere.
3. Small bathroom faucet and low water pressure. The short snout of the faucet forced me to constantly touch the edge of the sink when I was washing my hands.
4. There's only one washer and dryer. Most guests go to the local beach and probably come back with wet clothes and towels for the wash, so I'm surprised there's limited equipment.
5. On the first day, I did see a used bloody tissue paper when I first arrived but no issues after that.

Room Tip: For the best view, ask for a balcony view away from the big roof overlooking the rear hotel patio...