“lovely manor house”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chincoteague Island
1848 Island Manor House
takoma park
“lovely manor house”
Reviewed 1 November 2006

I have to say that after staying here for the 3rd time, every time I go back it seems to get better and better. The first time I stayed there, the owners had just bought the property, so I have seen it from the start to it's current status.

The exterior of the building has undergone a wonderful upgrade and is very picturesque. The lawn has been gone through a great transformatiion and was just redone this year.

The rooms are beautifully furnished and the bathrooms have all been upgraded and decorated nicely. Jerry, one of the owners does a great breakfast every morning. Both of the owners have helped up with finding fun new things to experience while we have stayed. They have suggested nice local restaurants.

I originally found the Inn through a publication in D.C. and stay there every time I am driving through the area for work. I usually stay two nights and will continue staying there due to the fact it makes a great base for me to work from and that the owners always make my stay very comfortable and much more personal than a hotel.

• Liked — very friendly and helpful owners, comfortable place to stay
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — I like the room with the dark mahogany furniture
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 5 August 2006

Welcome to Chincoteague Island, Virginia. That sign was the first thing that we came across that let us know we had found the right place for a quiet break from the big city. The next time we heard that phrase was two minutes later when we entered the 1848 Island Manor Bed & Breakfast and boy did they ever make us feel welcome. We had a wonderful vacation from the first minute until the last minute when regretfully we said goodbye to one of our best vacations ever. The City of Chincoteague was wonderful from the great meal at Bill's to the expert advice that I got straight from the owner of the Kite Koop. The folks at the Just Bikes , where we rented our bicycles were very friendly and the bike rides were wonderful. The beach on Assateague Island were awesome. So clean and unspoiled that there isn't even a concession stand on the island. If it weren't for the McDonald's on Chincoteague, you would have totally forgotten what we had left behind in Atlanta.

Now you would think that with all of this going for us that it really would not have cared where we stayed. The thing is Island Manor was the best part of it all. A great room (very clean), scumptious breakfasts, and the friendly staff were awesome. It was our home base. We generally plan adventure vacations. Our last was to Yosemite and Lake Tahoe and we did not want to go to our room each night because that meant the day was over. We looked forward to coming back to the island Manor every night. Not only was the bed rally comfy, but we spent hours to talking to other guests and the staff and when the morning came to check out, it was sad. It was as though we were leaving home instead of heading home.

We will be back soon. Our first Bed and Breakfast has really set the bar. Not only would it be a stretch to think that all B & Bs are like this, it would be unreasonable to think that we would even take a chance of staying anywhere other than the 1848 Island Manor House the next time we head to the beach.

• Liked — Quality place with a quality staff.
  • Disliked — Small bathrooms
  • Tips/Secrets — You have got to eat at Bill's Seafood. Simply AWESOME!
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank Disney1923
Reviewed 17 June 2006

Certainly the most romantic place we have stayed. My partner and I enjoyed every minute of our stay in the B&B and on the island. The owners were so helpful in setting up a special get-a-way for us, even making reservations and telling us the out of the way places to go. The courtyard is amazing and the best place to start your day at breakfast.

The food was superb. The room was comfortable, and service top notch. I am telling everyone about our great stay! I know that we will be back, just not soon enough.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 June 2006

Living in Richmond and having only the James River as the closest water to relax near doesn't even compare to coming to Chincoteague and Assateague. I like to surf while my girlfriend likes to get a suntan and we've been to many of the other beaches within driving distance like Virginia Beach, Ocean City, and even the Outer Banks. But with Assateague, you can walk a mile north and have your own private beach and waves to ride in on! We've been travelling there the past few years and decided to try out a B&B this year for the first time and selected the 1848 Island Manor House. This place is awesome! I got a huge breakfast that my girlfriend described best as scrumptious and we had these robes in the room to wear which were really nice to lay back in on the bed at nighttime. My girlfriend is a Scrabble nut and we found out that they had this chest of all sorts of games including that one to play. We decided to play Scrabble in our bed while wearing our robes! The owners keep their place really clean and made it really hard for us because now we know what luxury is like when you stay at a B&B and hotels don't even compare to places like this!!!! Thanks Island Manor for making our stay pretty cool...

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 June 2006

My husband and I are both high school teachers in Washington D.C. We recently had the pleasure to escape the city life and head out to a lovely bed and breakfast on a small island named Chincoteague. We had the wonderful treat of staying with Jerry and Andrew at the Island Manor House B&B. They were there waiting at the door to greet us upon our arrival and for any questions that we had during our stay they always seemed to be available! My husband even has some dietary restrictions that they were able to accomodate which was wonderful! The charm of this historic B&B was great and we will definitely return, possibly even within the year! Thanks 1848 Island Manor House for making out city get-a-way so special...

• Stayed May 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Washington, DC
Reviewed 29 December 2005

My hubbie and I got married on a Saturday and were going to go back to work on Monday--how foolish we were. We decided to ditch work and go to Chincoteague instead. We made out reservations at Manor House day-of and arrived on a cold and rainy day to a beautiful place and friendly Jerry. It was a great, cozy house. The couches in the sitting room were great, and they had a beautiful chess table!

We really enjoyed Chincoteague. We rented bicycles and rode over to the nature preserve and all around the island. we got cup-o-noodles at the local gas station and at them in our adorable room for dinner. it was really wonderful.

Did I mention the robes?!?!?! Oh my god, I am still thinking about these robes. It's been 3 months, and i can't get them out of my mind. Huge, fluffy, white terricloth robes jsut waiting for us in our room.

Also, October is a great time to go. We had a whole half of the house to ourselves!

Thanks, Manor House!

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank AZandDC
Reviewed 6 September 2005

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at this bed and breakfast over the summer. We loved eating outside in the courtyard for breakfast. The baked goodies and breads as well as the breakfast itself was fantastic.

Both of the owners were very friendly and knowledgeable about what there was to do in town and their housekeeper did a great job on cleaning up after us! We definitely will pass the name of this b&b as a recommendation to our friends and family and most surely will be back in the future!

• Stayed August 2005