“Fairfield Inn, Chincoteague Island”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Chincoteague Island
North East, Maryland
“Fairfield Inn, Chincoteague Island”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I am writing this review on our second day of our stay at the Fairfield Inn on Chincoteague Island. Its a beautiful property close to the downtown area of Main Street. Walking distance to shops and several restaurants. The staff has been nothing short of excellent from our arrival through our stay. Its just after Christmas 2013 and there's not much open on the Island but the staff have offered places to go and suggested which restaurants are opened. The room was extremely nice, the balcony looked over the water and the view was spectacular. We would come back again. Recommended.

Room Tip: There's a hot breakfast available with lots to choose from.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Heidi S, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chincoteague Island, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you for your review. I am so glad to hear that you found our property clean and the staff accommodating during your stay. With many shops and restaurants closed this time of year, we try and make sure we always have a current list of who is open and places that the guests can go to enjoy their time on the island. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Chincoteague.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed 26 December 2013

A quick overnight stay here was really nice as it was mid-Dec and there weren't very many people staying there....basically had the place to ourselves The property is new so there isn't many things that aren't pristine. Our Bayfront king suite with balcony (we loved the single swinging access door) was excellent, even though at low tide it ought to be called a 'Mudflat View' !!!!!!! We're water people so mudflats, and the ducks that come with it, are fine for viewing. We're just glad the wind was off the ocean ;-) But that is expected in Chincoteague. The breakfast was also top notch and the location of the hotel was within walking distance of our dinner location and other shops. Service and value were fabulous, as was the mattress and all linens/towels.

Our only suggestion is that we would love to see an indoor pool here as the space launch activities at the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport and NASA/Wallops will keep people coming here during the winter.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MuleHead2
Heidi S, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chincoteague Island, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed both your room and your water view. Thank you for your suggestion about the indoor pool. We are always trying to better the service and our hotel for our guests, and their suggestions help us do that. We hope to see you in Chincoteague again soon.
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn for two nights in September 2013. The hotel is in an excellent location, perfect for enjoying the beautiful seafront and exploring the charming town - there is plenty of free parking at the hotel and the majority of shops and restaurants are only five to ten minutes walk.

Every member of staff at this hotel is an absolute pleasure to deal with, right from the team at the front desk through to the kitchen and cleaning staff who buzz around at breakfast in the morning, making sure everyone has what they need. Special thanks and praise to Connie and Christy at reception who cannot do enough to make your time both at the hotel and in Chincoteague, enjoyable and memorable. Thank you!

We booked a double room which was lovely however we we slightly disappointed, bearing in mind the stunning shoreline location, that it did not have a balcony. When I enquired at reception about the cost to upgrade, we were allocated a beautiful junior suite with a large, comfortable bed, sitting area with flat-screen tv and a balcony overlooking the shore and bridge. All free of charge.....excellent customer service! The bathroom was spacious with a large double shower cubicle and lots of clean, fluffy towels. Overall, we were very impressed with the accommodation albeit we were slightly disturbed by the 'neighbours' due to the poor soundproofing described by other reviewers.

The swimming pool and sun deck are relatively small and partially shaded by the building, but comfortable loungers and stacks of clean towels make it a nice place to appreciate the weather.

The public areas of the hotel have a modern, airy feel and there are complimentary hot and cold drinks available all day in the dining area. The breakfast included in the room rate is excellent value and includes cereals, fruit, yoghurt, bread and pastries and a cooked selection.

In summary, an extremely pleasant stay - we would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and if we are ever fortunate enough to return to Chincoteague, we will definitely stay at the Fairfield.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay back in September. I am so happy to hear that we were able to upgrade you to a room that better suited your needs during your stay. I am also happy to hear that the staff was accommodating and helpful during your stay with us. We hope that you will be back sometime in the near future.
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We visited this hotel shortly after it opened this past August. We loved it. It was clean comfortable and brand new. The service was outstanding and it was all that one should expect for a Marriott affiliated property. Chincoteague is a beautiful barrier island town that kept us busy for our short 3 day visit. The beaches offer plenty of space and are beautiful. We took a boat ride to see the wild ponies. That was spectacular and something that my 11 year old girls will never forget.

Room Tip: A room facing the water is ideal.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Heidi S, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chincoteague Island, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us back in August. I'm happy to hear that you found everything clean and the staff friendly. I'm so glad you were able to make memories that your daughter will never forget. We hope those memories will bring you back for another stay with us in the future.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 16 November 2013

As a frequent traveler to Chincoteague for work, I was looking forward to trying out the new Fairfield. There are many pros: the bed is super-comfortable, the room was not huge, but felt spacious and airy, thanks to the high ceilings and modern windows, the bathroom was large/modern, the decor of the entire hotel felt welcoming and the staff could not have been more friendly. The bayview is indeed not bayfront--one looks out over a relatively small stretch of water separating the hotel from the next building, but it is not a "cesspool" as described by a previous visitor. I think this guest must have happened to look outside when the tide had departed. I woke up early and enjoyed my coffee (good in-room brand) watching the ducks float outside my window, but as the morning progressed, the tide went out and the water turned into a bit of a swampy terrain--the good news is that the bay will return! That being said, the bayview is quite limited and you will not see broad expanses of the bay from this side of the hotel. (The same issue exists with the Hampton or Comfort Inns). The free breakfast offered many cold/hot choices and had plenty of space. The free wifi worked well. The only real con was the thin walls mention previously. Unfortunately I found myself having to share the murmuring voices and the tv noise from the room next door for several hours. The noise problem worsened when the couple turned to each other instead of the tv. Ugh. I'm all for love and sharing generally, but this was TMI. I tried to turn up the fan in the heating/cooling system on HIGH to block out the sounds, but unfortunately, I could not figure out to keep the fan running once the temp on the thermostat had been reached and it kept shutting off. I don't expect the Fairfield to do construction to make their walls thicker, but I would strongly advise them to find a way to add some "white noise" that can be turned way up to enable folks to tune out their neighbors. Guests come to a hotel chain like Fairfield for a bit of respite and luxury at a reasonable price (and all of this is more than available at this particular hotel), but the experience is lost when one is subjected to unexpected noise. I'll give this hotel another shot because I liked it so much, but being on the road is exhausting and I need to depend on getting a quiet night...

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the bay if you want to see it.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank junodee
Heidi S, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chincoteague Island, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm glad to hear that you found your room comfortable and that the staff was friendly during your stay. I sincerely apologize for the expeirence you had with your neighbors. We are working on finding a solution for this and hope to have something in place soon. We want to make sure all our guests are able to enjoy their stay and have a great nights sleep. I hope that this incident will not deter you from staying with us in the future as we work toward a solution. Once again thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. please contact me directly at ffi.sbyci.gm@marriott.com for any future reservation needs you have.
Manassas, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 15 November 2013

It is a very beautiful hotel. The bathroom is very large. I really liked the large vanity. Our room had a balcony and a beautiful bay view. They also have a lovely outside pool area that we would have enjoyed during a summer visit. It is important to not that if you are going to the beach you will need to drive or bike as the hotel is several miles away. The only area we weren't impressed with was breakfast. The attendant was having a very hard time keeping the area stocked and it wasn't that busy. The waffle maker was not set properly and the waffles were extra crispy. Hopefully they will get that worked out and it will match the standard of the rest of the hotel. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: The balcony room on the upper floors facing the water are nice.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and especially liked the size of the bathrooms. Thank you for letting us know about the service that you experienced in the breakfast area. We strive to make sure our guests receive great service thoughout their stay and this includes breakfast. This has been addressed with all my staff to make sure we are keeping the breakfast properly stocked no matter the number of guests staying with us. We have also fixed the waffel maker and sincerely apologize that it wasn't functioning properly during your stay. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Chincoteague.
ABQ
Reviewed 13 November 2013

As a member of the Marriott rewards program and a frequent traveler to Chincoteague, I was happy to see the Fairfield Inn finally open. Or perhaps I was ambivalent, as each new big chain opens in Chincoteague, it loses some of its quaintness. On the other hand, I've stayed at some of these quaint places, and they're kind of musty and funky. The Fairfield Inn is clean and fresh and was a very nice change. The fitness room was small and sparse, but sufficient. And the breakfast actually included sausage and eggs, in addition to the normal continental fare. My only real complaint was that I was given a "Bay View" room that did not face the bay, but the mucky, garbage-ridden cesspool on the side of the hotel. So if you're paying for a Bay View room, I would suggest asking to make sure you can actually see the bay.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet, but if you want a view of the bay, make sure you're on the West (bay) side.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MDawgABQ
Heidi S, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chincoteague Island, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm glad that you found our new hotel clean and the breakfast to your satisfaction. I apologize for any misunderstanding with the view from your room. Our bay view rooms have only a partial view of the bay, where our bay front rooms have a full view. If you can send me your check in date and confirmation number at ffi.sbyci.gm@marriott.com, I will be more than happy to look into this for you. I can certianly understand how this could effect your stay with us. When booking your next reservation, please contact me directly and I'm be more than happy to make sure you receive the view that you were hoping for.