“Was Good ” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of AJ's on the Creek

AJ's on the Creek
Price range: US$11 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: For generations, the folks at AJ's have been passing down delicious seafood recipes from parent to child. We specialize in historically great seafood.
“Was Good ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is on the pricey side even for lunch especially for the portions you receive. I ordered soft shell crabs and they were tiny but very good. The crab soup was really good and came out scolding hot. The place is small and the Lunch menu is very limited. I asked to see the dinner menu out of curiosity and they had a lot more options to choose from. I probably wouldn't go back for Lunch but I would like to try the Dinner menu. The waitress we had was nice and polite. And everyone seemed very friendly that worked there that walked by our table. It's definitely worth a try just wish you got a little more for the money.

Galloway, New Jersey
“Terrible Experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

The waitress got most of order wrong. The only thing she got right was our appetizer which was very good (but very small). My girlfriend ordered a Caesar Salad but got a Chef Salad. When she politely told the waitress the mistake she said no that's what you ordered. I ordered the Fried Oysters, but instead of giving me the meal she gave me the appetizer. Thought it was pretty obvious we were ordering dinners and not just apps. If it wasn't for our clueless waitress it probably would have been a fine experience, but we still won't be going back. There are better places on the island to eat.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Chincoteague Island, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Favorite on the Island!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is my favorite restaurant on the island. Great seafood all the time! I always get the Caesar salad with blue cheese crumbles and anchovies...sounds weird, but it's delicious! Their 2/$25 menu is a great deal!

Visited June 2014
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Great food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

The seafood was fresh and the service wonderful. The menu had something for the seafood lovers and steak lovers.

Visited April 2014
Raleigh, North Carolina
“We thought it was good... turned out to be just okay.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

My boyfriend and I were visiting Chincoteague for a romantic birthday getaway. AJ's was the first place we went to when we got into town. It looked nice, and it was on a creek so we thought we'd enjoy the view. The hostess seated us inside, at booth where both of the seats were coming apart. The establishment does not look very clean.

We ordered the fried sampler appetizer (on vacation, why not!) We thought it was good, but then there were clues that it might not be as fresh as we thought-- the mushrooms were cold, etc. A lot of the menu is fried, which is a problem you may find all throughout Chincoteague. Our dinners were very heavy. I got the smothered flounder and was not very fond of it. Founder in general does not have a lot of flavor, the "scampi" was more oil than flavor. The "smothered" part was delicious. I'd like to think the seafood was all fresh, but admittedly, it was our least favorite over the three days we ate seafood in Chincoteague.

For the price point, being in tourist attraction like Chincoteague and being so close to fresh seafood, at the end of the night we were a bit disappointed. We also got stomachaches-- which may have been the food, or may have been the disappointment.

(Note: Most entrees were 21-30$.)

• Visited May 2014