“Excellent, duck-filled, family establishment”
Review of Holiday Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chincoteague Island
Holiday Cottages
“Excellent, duck-filled, family establishment”
Reviewed 10 August 2012

This was my third straight year on Chincoteague Island and my third straight year at Holiday Cottages. The grounds and rooms are clean and inviting. My two small children talk about this place the entire 51 weeks we are away. There are indeed *many* ducks on the premises that seem as comfortable on the property as the guests; the docile birds are fun for the entire family to feed. Main Street is an effortless walk, even in Virginia's August heat. Assateague Island, and its seashore, is a fifteen minute drive or so away. Leave early - Assateague has *one* beach which crowds early. My family has reserved again for next year, as I have yet to see the Holiday Cottages ever show a "Vacancy" in these three years.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank WhiteWalkerGuy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I have been to Holiday cottages a couple of times and have never had a problem. I will be returning this summer for a short stay. These cottages are so cute and the staff is wonderful. It has all you need for a nice, quiet get away.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Northern VA
Reviewed 21 February 2012

My husband has stayed there several times, while working at Wallops. This trip is for 3 months or longer. It is not a 5 star Hilton, in appearance, but you feel as though it is with the hospitality they offer. Most all places on the Island are of that era and style. He has stayed in a few different cottages they offer, and all were the same. Very clean, with all the basics needed in order to enjoy a nice visit in Chincoteague. On several occasions I have had the chance to visit him. I can honestly say, nothing was ever dirty and I never have had anything to complain about. I love that you can pull right up to your door and have everything unloaded in a matter of minutes. My boys are grown, but I can say 100%, without a doubt, they would have loved the boat at the playground.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ZooKeeperof9
Millsboro, Delaware
Reviewed 24 January 2011

Holiday Cottages have become a part of our family. The management is wonderful and housekeeping does a great job. You have all the comforts of home while vacationing. This means alot to a family with children. You can cook meals from home indoors and still have the option to have a cook out and roast marshmallows. My parents took me and my siblings there when we were very young I believe it was in the 80's then. When I became a young adult my spouse and I started coming and even stayed in the cottage that I did as a child. Still to this day my entire family comes and stays. As a matter of fact..in June..we are going to be coming down and the trip will consist of my sister with her spouse and children, my parents, and now my sons who are 18 now and had been coming since they were 2 are coming and renting their own cottage. My husband and our young children will be coming as well. Chincoteague is a beautiful place to visit and you get just what you were looking for in a family vacation. Quality time spent with your family and fun for all while spending time in a place that makes you feel as if you have stepped back in time.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank lovechincoteague6
Burke, Virginia
Reviewed 27 August 2010

We made an impromptu trip to Chincoteague with our 3 young children (3, 2 and 4 months) and were looking for an affordable 2-bedroom. After reading all of the positive reviews we decided that this would be a great alternative to two rooms at the Hampton Inn - the price seemed too good to be true.

Affordable, yes, but that's about it. The cabins are extremely dated - the furniture, carpet, dishes, appliances seemed positively ancient. Our children go to sleep very early and we just did not feel like we could relax in the evenings after a long day at the beach. The carpet seemed dirty, although the owners left it very clean, and we just felt gross after sleeping there. The beds were very uncomfortable, and we ended up leaving a day early because we were all sleeping so poorly.

The best comparison I can make is that it seemed like we were at sleepaway camp, minus the sleeping bags. On a positive note, the owners are very nice and welcoming, and my children very much enjoyed the playground - it was nice to have that right outside of our door. We did not see any ducks on the property that the other reviewer mentioned. Bottom line: next time we will book a hotel, or better yet, rent a house.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank willsfamilyinva
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 July 2010

Our visit to Chincoteague was like traveling back to the 1970's - everything was quaint and fun, from the old-fashioned firmane's carnival to homemade icecream to the the cozy cottage. Holiday Cottages provides a warm and friendly welcome. Everything in the cottage is there for preparing simple meals. We made tacos one night and grilled hotdogs the next night. The furnishings are old but very comfortable and most importantly, everything was clean, clean, clean, from top to bottom. The sheets on the bed were soft, and did I mention everything was perfectly clean? I came armed for bear against the mosquitos but didn't experience any except on the walk to the lighthouse at 8 a.m., where I was out-numbered by about 100,000. We waited outside the icecream place at 9 p.m. for quite a while and no mosquitos, played bingo under the tent at the carnival - no mosquitos, went to the beach - no mosquitos. We had a lot of fun and would go again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank flowergirl573
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 21 July 2010

We were not impressed with these accommodations. For $120 a night for a 1BR we have done much better. The staff was kind and the pool looked large and clean. Otherwise, the carpet was gross (leave your shoes on gross) and it smelled musty and maybe a little smoky even though it was a non-smoking property. It was sufficient for our stay, we just did not feel like going back at the end of the day to relax (or sleep) because it kind of had a dirty feel to it, even though there was no surface dirt. One huge thing I would have appreciated knowing, is that the town cemetery is practically ON the property. The apartment we stayed in had a view of graves, from all windows, which was just creepy. After reading the other reviews I was looking forward to our visit and was disappointed…I really wanted to like this place! There are not a ton of other or nicer (by the looks) places to stay on the island, but we would opt for a bed and breakfast for a similar rate the next time or even camp. Maybe the 2BRs here are nicer…I may suggest this for a family because I am not sure how many other of the island’s accommodations offer separate bedrooms. If they accepted pets, we may CONSIDER returning simply because pet friendly accomodations are hard to find. We did not see the ducks the other reviewers refer to...

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple