“Couple of minor negative issues but overall Happy and Satisfied :-)”

Days Inn Chincoteague Island
Northeast Ohio
“Couple of minor negative issues but overall Happy and Satisfied :-)”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I'll get the minor negative things out of the way first. They're just very minor things and didn't really detract from my overall satisfaction of my stay, but I think they should be mentioned: 1) There was no mirror in our room 218, in the bathroom, yes of course, but not in the sleeping area, no mirror on the wall like there usually is in most hotels; 2) There are NO wake up calls - I was told they put alarm clocks in all the rooms (and I thought, yeah, every hotel in America has an alarm clock but they also usually offer a wake up call service too), and later I understood why there are no wake up calls - there is no one working the front desk in the wee hours of the morning until about 6:00 or 6:30, though there is an emergency phone placed on the counter (by the way, if you're going to check out before 7:00 a.m., make sure you talk to someone at the front desk the evening before); 3) we heard children running up and down and up and down somewhere which I'm not sure if it was the children of the proprietors or of other guests or both, but at least it wasn't constantly; and 4) when we checked in, we were not told anything at all about Sunny and Red Dawn, the two ponies kept on the grounds...didn't even realize they were until we'd been in town for over 24 hours! And we certainly didn't know that if you were there during the times when the horses' "parents" ;-) showed up, you could get up close and personal and have photos taken with them - I know the hotel didn't have to tell us that, but it just would've been a nice courtesy for the desk to have informed us; and 5) the outdoor pool's water was so ice cold that even after being in it up to my neck for quite a while, I was still freezing, almost to the point of it hurting and cramping my body so I had to get out (granted it was only in the high 70s, but I've never been in pool water that cold in my life).

Okay, like I said those things were minor but I mention them as constructive criticism for the hotel operators and for those travelers for whom those sorts of things are important, but overall I was happy and satisfied and can confidently recommend staying here. We stayed 3 nights and our room was very clean, and was kept clean (great job, Housekeeping staff!..I used to be a hotel maid and I know what it's like :-); the beds were almost additively comfortable! Had a great night's sleep every night because of that. They also have plenty of pillows if you're like me and like a lot of them; If you had a question or needed anything, the proprietors and staff were very helpful and eager to please you; the breakfast was very good: waffles, sausage links, some kind of cheesy fried potatoes (that was my favorite- very tasty!) and all the other usual items you find at a hotel's continental breakfast. Good coffee too. I really loved the small back deck with the tiki-bar style hut umbrellas on the tables. We spent some time out there since my stepdaughter smokes. The lobby inside the hotel is really cute too, and although the pool water was cold, I liked the set up of the pool area as well, which also included the thatched hut style umbrellas and tables and a couple of different styles of chairs. After I got out of the pool, I just relaxed at a shaded table reading my Kindle. Speaking of water, I LOVED the shower in our bathroom! Nice hot water immediately and reliable water pressure-I have a bad back and that felt great on it (however, if you're taller than 5'5", you might find the shower head a little low- it was just right for me though :-). I also liked the location of this hotel - it's right at the end of the roundabout and there's a campground behind it, so it's in a little less crowded area than say the hotels up Maddux Rd. or on Main Street, and you're very close to the Museum and the entrance to Assateague Island. The three "feral" cats that hang out in the back parking area gave the place a little extra coziness and appeal in my opinion (but then I'm a cat lover :-). We were told they were feral but they were pretty friendly to be truly feral in my opinion. They have obvious medical problems that will never be treated since no one really owns them (one cat has a blind eye, one's jaw is messed up), but they like to just hang out in the parking lot or near the deck - just watch out you don't back up over any of them...at least one of them likes to sit in the gravel behind a car's back tire. :-) I booked this hotel because I use a Wyndham Rewards card and have been trying to earn more points, and Days Inn Chincoteague was the only one that came up as a Wyndham hotel for my dates. However, I would probably stay here again even if it wasn't a Wyndham as it was in my opinion less expensive than most of the other accommodations on the Island (I paid about $100 a night) so I think it was a good value.

Room Tip: If you don't want to hear children running around or crying in other guestrooms, just say so to...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
DaysInn7020, Manager at Days Inn Chincoteague Island, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
sorry that we did not had a mirror in that room we were in middle of puting all new mirriors and for some reson that room got sliped out but we do have all new mirrors in all of our rooms.
just recently our alarm clock computer was not working thats why the front desk had told you that there was an alarm clocks in all the rooms and yes there is an clock with alarms in all the rooms.
we are open 24 hrs a day but the person working at the front desk has to go around the property and check if every thing was ok and in the morning time between 6 to 7 am they have to go shut all the lights off but again we are there 24 hrs 7 days a week .
Thank you for your stay with us and we apologize for your inconveniente.

Rachael.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I was just planning a little 2 days trip. But once we checked in. We didn't want to leave. The room was so warm and comforting. The staff was very pleasant and friendly. When I asked about staying an additional day the front Desk Clark was just wonderful. The small town was feel is great. I fell in love with chincoteague island and the days inn. And very good free breakfast that included Belgian waffles, eggs, sausage,potatoes, and biscuits among other items. Very happy with our stay here. We will stay here again and recommend it highly. Thank days inn.

• Stayed September 2013
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Like always. We followed the reviews on tripadvisor.com and could not have been happier the rooms were very comfortable and clean. Free continental hot breakfast was good (you make your own waffles); staff was friendly. My kids loved the pony pen. Chincoteague light house and beach are in the chincoteague state park just less then a mile up the road.

We world recommend everyone it because the room were clean, staff friendly, and the location was great.

• Stayed September 2013
Egg Harbor City, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I have to agree with Mary B. as far as how disappointing this Days Inn is. We too had a situation with the credit card, but a different story which by quick thinking, I averted what I believe was a scam. That said, there are more important reasons for not recommending this hotel.

First-the bedding & towels have been updated to meet the Days Inn standard & were very nice, although the duvet cover had coffee stains on it & was also ripped. Easy fixes! The large & only window in the room was filthy-it obviously hadn't been cleaned for some time. The mirror in the room also hadn't been cleaned which surprised me-doesn't the housekeeping staff have a bottle of Windex? But the most disappointing thing was the septic system. It must have needed pumping & had overflowed & a big puddle of sewage was in the parking lot near the pony pen. I have a septic system & I know the stench from raw sewage & it doesn't smell like pony droppings. It was difficult to sit out on the deck & eat our free breakfast because of the smell.

I would recommend staying right next door at the Refuge Inn or across the street at the Best Western as Mary B. said. I planned our trip at the last minute & couldn't get reservations at the Refuge Inn & figured we couldn't go wrong at a Days Inn. I have stayed at other Days Inns & have always been happy.

Hopefully, the higher-ups at corporate Days Inn do periodic checks at their hotels & maybe make some changes. We won't stay there again!

Room Tip: The room views are all nice-it's a lovely island & has beautiful scenery on all sides of the...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
rajip0001, Manager at Days Inn Chincoteague Island, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
I am so sorry regarding this matter but our check in time is at 3 pm also we tried calling you so many time after your credit card came to be decline and if a persons credit card come decline we would not hold the room even though we had held the room until 6 pm sorry for the situation.

Thank You.