“Fun crabbing on the docks at night”

Snug Harbor Marina and Cottages
Jersey Shore
“Fun crabbing on the docks at night”
Reviewed 23 September 2011

We rented 2 cabins here for a long weekend. The cabins are dated and small but very clean and they worked just fine. The kids really enjoyed fishing and crabbing off the docks during the day and especially at night. We also rented a pontoon boat which was fun and worked out fine. The downside - no wifi and no pool or swimming area. It was a good experience but I don't think I'd stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Jakesmommy2003

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Cape May New Jersey
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I took a trip this past summer to the great island of Chincoteague. I took my kayak with me and didn't really know what to expect but heard great stories about the kayaking around the island. My girlfriend and I found a little waterfront cottage along the Assateague waterway called Snug Harbor. The accommodations were nice and the location was the best. We put our kayaks in the water just steps away from the waterfront room and explored the islands all weekend.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank kayakertif
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This review is for the cottage: it was small, outdated and the beds were uncomfortable. Although the lady that runs it is friendly and accommodating it didn't make up for the run down rooms or lack of proper kitchen appliances (rusty silverware and no microwave). The location is perfect, there's a "fake beach" by the water and one grill for everyone to use (luckily we were the only ones to use it the night we grilled out or I would have been pretty upset with this) I would definitely recommend their boat rentals though, that seemed like it would have been fun. Overpriced shop ($10 for bug spray or sun lotion) so make sure you pack it and boy will you need it, the mosquitoes here are ridiculous! The extra person per room charge is steep also $12.50 per person not worth it. All in all I would say for the money its just OKAY

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ashalee16
Richmond
Reviewed 8 September 2011

I have been to Chincoteague several times and have seen birds and horses/ponies but have always been told there are dolphins. I never believed it but I do now! On our last day I saw at least seven and since we were out in the boat fishing they were very close. We stayed at Snug Harbor- our favorite place- and always fish right in front of the lighthouse. I wished I was in one of their kayaks. It is so relaxing to stay at Snug Harbor. The cottages are always clean with plenty of towels. It is so relaxing to know you are steps from the water and can use their grill to cook out after a day in the boat. If you like fishing, watching nature, reading in the sun, and being relaxed by the water- there is no better place. If you want "5" star service- stay away because we don't need your attitude- we want to enjoy our vacation with other people at the cottages that like to relax, unwind, and watch nature and the incoming tide take all your cares away. Beautiful place to stay

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RichmondBeachbabe
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Stayed in a 1BR cottage that was pretty comfortable. The whole shebang is a bit rustic: small shower, and the "large bed" described in their e-mail is just a full-size. Still, the kitchen was well-stocked with utensils and cooking accouterments, and the fridge did a great job keeping the beer cold.

Chincoteague is small enough that everything's a five-minute drive away, and I didn't get the impression that there was much walking to be done anywhere other than Main Street -- so, I didn't mind that we had to drive everywhere.

It didn't occur to me at the time, but reading other reviews, I second that this isn't the most kid-friendly place to stay: as another reviewer posted, there is no "private beach" -- but, none was pitched to us before our recent stay. There looked to be reasonable-enough skiffs to rent and slips for your own boat, but not any sort of space that would be appropriate for kids.

There was a large grill and a few tiki huts -- overall, my impression is that if you're bringing everything you need for vacation and just need the infrastructure/space to store/do it all, this is a nice place to stay. If you're looking to be pampered, though, with activities and distractions there on the site, you're probably better elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EEMIV
Butler, NJ
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Snug Harbor Marina & Resort is a hidden gem and my wife and I are so happy we found it. The cottages are in excellent shape and very well maintained. The location is excellent. The ponies on Assateague Island are directly across the bay. We enjoyed watching them roam and romp at sunset while relaxing at a tiki hut; and in the morning we saw them while doing some great crabbing right from the piers of the property. It was the best! What was most impressive is that the owners who actually manage the property where on site and were very accommodating and engaged with the guests in a gracious manner. We actually had coffee with them in the morning after crabbing. There is much to do here, for all ages; and if you are looking for an experience other than many typical hotels on Chincoteague, I highly recommend it. This was our first stay here and we are planning on a return visit in the very near future. It is well worth it and the price is very reasonable.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank rskjr
Amelia Court House, Virginia
Reviewed 1 June 2011

John and his wife Basia Shields are very good people !!! This place is so beautiful and relaxing and close to everything !!! I loved and enjoyed my stay with my family . They bent over backwards for us and did everything in there power to help us !! I just want to say thank you again for everything you did for my mom and family !!! God Bless you and your family always !!! See you again soon !!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family