“An Island Favorite”

Bill's Seafood Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner since 1960. The freshest local seafood, hand cut steaks, and chops. As well as pasta dishes. All accompanied by our international wine list. Beer and cocktails are served. Be sure to save room for our legendary desserts
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Every year we stop in at Bill's to eat. We were not able to check in at the hotel so we went in the middle of the afternoon. They were not busy so seating wasn't a problem. We were greeted and seated by a friendly girl at the front. The waitress we had was also very pleasant and prompt with our order. We both got the broiled seafood platter. As usual everything was very good. We were given a loaf of wonderful honey bread with dinner, which was delicious. The first course was the topical salad, the shrimp were tender and the salad dressing was sweet and perfect. The clam chowder was next and I don't think anyone makes it better, creamy and delightful. Then our dinners were brought out, very nice presentation. The shrimp were tasty, the best I have ever had at Bill's. Everything was great, the scallops, oysters and crab imperial. The only thing that could've been better was the flounder. It needs more seasoning and wasn't very hot. It is a regional fish but most restaurants don't do enough to make this fish all it could be. It is just boring if you don't season it. The restrooms are clean and the atmosphere is fine. They also have a very nice wine list. Everyone coming to the island must try Bill's.

There are newer reviews for Bill's Seafood Restaurant

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We were visiting the island for a bit of r&r and this restaurant was within walking distance of our hotel. We stopped in to read the menu and THANK GOD we made reservations because, when we came back less than an hour later the place was packed with no availability until after 8:30pm. The food is fresh and delicious - my husband had flounder and I had the crab cakes and we also ordered the oysters because we wanted to try the local ones (which were delicious BTW). Each meal comes with a salad, potato and side and the portions are pretty big so you won't be leaving hungry. We also tried one of their desserts which was also delicious. Word to the wise - YOU MUST MAKE RESERVATIONS.....we actually counted 96 people being turned away because there was no availability. A must if you are staying on the island. Thanks for the great meal!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

never had a bad meal there, ole reliable. Love the breakfast too. Solid restaurant very consistent. Try the oyster shooters

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Usually the first restaurant that I visit while I'm at Chincoteague is Bill's Seafood. It is rather ordinary from the outside but inside, the food is great! The staff is always friendly and the service is prompt. This is the first place that I had ever tried oysters and I've been coming back every year since. I ordered the broiled seafood platter which consists of a fresh piece of flounder, some baked oysters, steamed clams, a couple of scallops, broiled shrimp and crab imperial. It is served with a cup of yummy and rich New England clam chowder, a luscious tropical salad and freshly baked bread with a really good glaze on it. Even their house Pinot Grigio is good. I've never had a bad meal at Bill's and always look forward to my yearly visit. Although not cheap, the seafood at Bill's is well worth it. The only suggestion that I would make is that the flounder should be seasoned a bit more. Other than that, it is a truly delicious and satisfying dining experience.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

If you are open until 9:00pm, why are you turning away people (I counted 60 people) with a restaurant that was more than 50% empty with the reason being, the tables are held for reservations? We waited 25 minutes which took us to 8:50pm with a closing time of 9:00pm. When they said they were holding tables for reservations, I called from outside only to hear them quote me 8:55pm seating as I was clearly looking at more than 1/2 the restaurant EMPTY!

They got us in and were then rushed as it was closing time for the service staff. The food was alright but waay overpriced for area and for what you got. I'm not saying it was horrible, just alright. For 2 adults, 1 child, 2 cocktails and 1 glass of wine no appetizers, we hit just under $150. Not ideal by any stretch.

I had time to think as we waited and counted all the people they turned away and my wife and I recalled that this exact thing happened last year but we did the phone reservation from outside the restaurant and got it much earlier.

With over 20 years Hospitality Management, it was and is unacceptable to run your business based on what 'may' come in. With an average guest check of $100 per couple, they turned away at least $500 just between 8:40 and 9:00pm and those tables never were sat.

I posted my experience on Social media only to find that the exact same thing happened to my neighbor the week prior. While the list of places to eat is not very long on Chincoteague, Bill's is 100% off the list of viable alternatives when we visit.

2  Thank CayohuesoJoe