“Hidden Gem”
Review of Sea Shell Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chincoteague Island
Sea Shell Motel
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Not on the main "beach road" of Maddox Blvd, this charming place is a hidden gem! Our families recently stayed in multiple rooms for the week. Terrific experience. The rooms and grounds are well-kept. The staff is friendly and very hard working. The outdoor kitchen and the multiple gas grills allowed us to gather in a common place for a couple of meals. It is within walking distance to Main Street shopping and several restaurants. Sadly, the only complaint came from the fishermen of our group who had to find a place to clean their catch which is the major cheer from the cooks who prepared the meals outside! Can't wait to book a fall weekend soon.

Room Tip: One room efficiencies are closest to the pool but the pool never seemed to be very noisy.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed 20 August 2012

My adult daughter and I stayed here for 4 nights recently. Lovely landscaping, quiet clientele, clean room, and within walking distance of the downtown and restaurants. Staff very nice too. We will be back.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Morgantown, Kentucky
Reviewed 8 August 2012

My wife, daughter, and myself stayed here for two nights. First impression was that it is a small charming place only a few blocks from shopping and restaurants.

We got a end room that had two queen beds on the top (second) floor. We were the furthest room from the motel office. The room was decent size with enough room for us, not huge but big enough.

The first thing my daughter noticed was that our phone signal (sprint) was very weak and the wifi almost non-existent. My wife almost had a heart attack when she noticed that there wasn't a hair dryer or iron in the room. For me, the room was fine but the bed was hard as a rock. My wife loved it. The tv could have been newer and bigger (19" I think) but no big deal really. There was a swimming pool but we didn't use it. There was no breakfast in the mornings, at least none that we were told about.

Overall considering the price and location, I think that the Sea Shell Motel is a good choice while visiting Chincoteague Island.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Mansfield, Ohio
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Just back from our trip to the island. We booked a room at this hotel last minute. I was a little nervous as this was my first time booking a room not in a chain hotel. I'm sold! Not fancy but everything was clean, the staff were curtious and helpful, within walking distance of downtown, great outside sitting areas, etc. If we visit the island again I would head right back to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Baumholder, Germany
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Horrible.. The free Wi-Fi never worked, no continental breakfast, the room smelled liked wet dogs!! I asked for extra towel and got a jeez why attitude, the room service on day two did not replenish the little coffee, suger and creamer, or cup. Did I mention the room smelled like wet nasty dogs!!! I do not recommend this motel for the price....

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed 13 July 2012

There are two things we need to cover: the motel and its clientele. First, the motel. The place is an okay deal for those who want to save 30 percent over the big chains. Location is good and the staff are fairly attentive. Downsides are: the pool is tiny, the window AC is loud, the room is small for four people, and there's a musty funky smell that was overpowering until we got used to it on the third day. Oh, and ants are a problem too. Footsteps on the floor above us were pretty loud on our ceiling. Speaking of which, the TV was mounted up there, so trying to watch that was akin to sitting in the first row of a movie theater. The minifridge seems to have two settings: Off and Freeze.

Then you've got the clientele. I mean no offense to anyone...just telling you what I saw. Most people had a pickup truck, usually with an extended cab. Some had an extended bed. For good measure, a couple people had both. Our neighbors sat on the front porch next to our door -- all day, every day -- smoking. Six doors down, a man sat on his porch playing the banjo. I'm for real with this. The two smokers were such a fixture that the helpful management got them a little table so they wouldn't have to reach down to the ground to put their cigarette stubs in a plastic glass with brownish liquid.

I get the point that some of the reviews say go with saving money and stay at a place like this because you'll be at the beach anyway, but at some point you gotta fight your way back past the pickup-truck driving, chain smoking, banjo picking people to get into your funkadelic smelling room. Won't be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room by the pool.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Motel, efficiency, garden, quiet, Had everything I wanted, frig, microwave, big room, outside sitting area, quiet, off the main roads, quaint place. pool, very friendly. Peaceful nights sleep. Table and chair in bedroom area, and another near kitchen, sink, dishes, utensils, 2 stover burner. Close to everything, downtown, within walking distance.

Room Tip: Efficiencies, 2 steps up, sitting area, good for folks with health issues, no climbing lots of st...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family