“Better than expected and a good value, clean”
Review of Sea Shell Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chincoteague Island
Sea Shell Motel
MA
“Better than expected and a good value, clean”
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We were on a motorcycle trip traveling without reservations and pulled into Chincoteague on a Friday night. There were no rooms at the chains or the nicer inns. A lady at the Waterside (I would recommend staying there since she was helpful), helped us secure a room after calling 5 places. She said the Sea Shell had been family owned for years and was a nice property. She was right, it was a nice older motel style property that has been kept up. The room we had was large with two double beds, kitchenette and decent bathroom. It was very clean. I would have driven past this property had it not been recommended. So if you need a place to lay your head and would like a little more room, this is the place. Front desk staff very helpful. Paid $80, good value for Chincoteague. Beds could be more comfortable, but a decent basic stay in you are on a budget. Walking distance to Bill's restaurant...best meal out of 9 days, go there, too. I would consider staying here again on our way through.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank redheadMA

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Maryland
Reviewed 16 September 2012 via mobile

We always stay at the Sea Shell in September when the rates go down. It is always clean and friendly. The rooms are standard beach motel, no frills and not luxurious but always comfortable with fridge and coffee. You cannot beat the location as everything is within walking distAnce. Really nice flowers too.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MarylandScubaMan
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 15 September 2012 via mobile

We got 1 of the rooms with the kitchenette. the only downside to that is we would have like a king bed but it 2 doubles. the room furnished with a microwave, refrigerator dishes cups glasses utensils everything.

we love this place... and it's located right in the heart of Chincoteague..... Walking distance to everything in town .

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Mert M
Lusby, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 5 September 2012

First, I want to say that I did not stay at this motel overnight. My husband and I were riding bikes with our two small children (5 and 1) during the worst mosquito frenzy I can recall during the last 30 years I have vacationed in Chincoteague. Our bike pulling the kiddie trailer broke down in front of this motel while our kids were being attacked by mosquitoes. I went in the motel office and asked the man working if i could use the phone to call the place where we rented our bikes. Not only did he look the # up for me and let me use the phone, he offered to let us come inside to escape the mosquitoes. he opened up a room for us and turned on the Disney channel for my kids and put the milk we had just purchased in the refrigerator. He was EXTREMELY hospitable and accommodating and he knew that we were not renting a room. I was just really taken aback by his eagerness to help us out. It is so rare to find someone that goes out of their way nowadays (even when you are paying them) that I felt this motel deserved this posted. Good experience.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Melissa J
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Not on the main "beach road" of Maddox Blvd, this charming place is a hidden gem! Our families recently stayed in multiple rooms for the week. Terrific experience. The rooms and grounds are well-kept. The staff is friendly and very hard working. The outdoor kitchen and the multiple gas grills allowed us to gather in a common place for a couple of meals. It is within walking distance to Main Street shopping and several restaurants. Sadly, the only complaint came from the fishermen of our group who had to find a place to clean their catch which is the major cheer from the cooks who prepared the meals outside! Can't wait to book a fall weekend soon.

Room Tip: One room efficiencies are closest to the pool but the pool never seemed to be very noisy.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Leftylouie
Reviewed 20 August 2012

My adult daughter and I stayed here for 4 nights recently. Lovely landscaping, quiet clientele, clean room, and within walking distance of the downtown and restaurants. Staff very nice too. We will be back.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Morgantown, Kentucky
Reviewed 8 August 2012

My wife, daughter, and myself stayed here for two nights. First impression was that it is a small charming place only a few blocks from shopping and restaurants.

We got a end room that had two queen beds on the top (second) floor. We were the furthest room from the motel office. The room was decent size with enough room for us, not huge but big enough.

The first thing my daughter noticed was that our phone signal (sprint) was very weak and the wifi almost non-existent. My wife almost had a heart attack when she noticed that there wasn't a hair dryer or iron in the room. For me, the room was fine but the bed was hard as a rock. My wife loved it. The tv could have been newer and bigger (19" I think) but no big deal really. There was a swimming pool but we didn't use it. There was no breakfast in the mornings, at least none that we were told about.

Overall considering the price and location, I think that the Sea Shell Motel is a good choice while visiting Chincoteague Island.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family