“Good sleep, amenities less”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Christiansburg
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The sleep is the best. No noise and the place smelled good, good mattress but costs are obviously being looked at closely as evidenced by a couple large holes in the blanket, the mini fridge freezer needed defrosting for me to get a small refreeze ice pack in it, there was a mess in the walkway which needed attending to but was never noticed by mgmt, cigarette butts in the walkway up and down the walk in front of the rooms, a phone not working because it was plugged into itself and housekeeping never caught it, all clocks had been removed some time ago -again saves a lot of money but a real inconvienience as it's used more than setting an alarm in the morning. This is the usual motel we've experienced thru out America as the take over owners have redefined how little will be given to the guests as in , well, look at what used to be given for breakfast compared to what is currently given. It's pathetic. One good thing is the coffee was almost drinkable for me but I thru it out. Years ago most motel coffee was great. Here it wasn't too bad.

Room Tip: Always check out the room first for what you want out of a good nights sleep, i.e. a working TV remo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bill W

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed in this motel April 26, 2014. Woke up 2 am to find I had bite marks all over me. After showering I slept in the car the rest of the night. When talking to manager he denied the complaint. I have a medical report verifying they were bedbugs. This is the only place I stayed away from home. If this is how they respond to people that come to their town 4 to five times a year and need a place to stay, then I recommend you to stay away. Especially after getting off the phone with him to look at past reviews. I notice a lot of flagged reviews on their sight. But this one reports a similar incident in 2013. It is obvious they are not serious in taking care of this problem or their guest. They only care about the money. We also found rice in a bowl still in the microwave the next morning before leaving.

Room Tip: Don't stay at all.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank William B
Reviewed 6 April 2014

A good nights stay in a comfortable bed, in a clean room, with good internet, and plenty of hot shower water. For a good price! The manager helped me out by printing a doc I needed from a fwd'd email!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 January 2014

The hotel was fine for the price. They didn't promise fancy, and we didn't expect it. They provided clean sheets, friendly people, and good coffee. The room was clean and did not smell. Beds were comfortable.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I stayed in this motel on October 8, 2013, room 121. After checking in at 8 pm, I laid down to sleep. Around 1am I woke up with bites all over me! Tiny black specks were on the top sheet. I first tried to phone the office, using the room phone. The phone had so much static I could faintly hear a ringing, let it ring a long time, no answer. I got dressed and walked to the office; I told the clerk about the bites and even showed the ones on my arms. His response was basically “people who stay in these rooms bring bed bugs in and there is nothing we can do”. My response to that was of course; “wrong answer, unless this is a self service motel, it is simply your responsibility to insure your beds are not infested with bugs or fleas, plain and simple”. I was given another room.
I could not sleep after being bitten, bites were welting. I went to the front desk at 6am and asked for a receipt and asked to see the manager. I was told the manager is the owner, Kabir Uddin, and that he was out of town.
I made contact with the owner the following Friday by phone. His response was simply amazing. He said he had heard of my complaint and he had PERSONALLY checked the room for bed bugs and found nothing to support my claim. When asked what qualifies him to inspect, he simply said he knows what to look for. Then he said “therefore I do not believe this happened”. I was shocked to hear that! I told him that I was not trying to get a refund, only to let him know of the problem. He was rude and defiant.
I assured him I was reporting this to the County Health Department. I did file the complaint with the Count Health Inspector. I strongly advise anyone reading this; do not take the risk of staying at this motel. All this motel owner had to do was to accept responsibility and tell me he would make sure the problem of bed bugs were addressed, but he refused to do even that. DO NOT CONSIDER STAYING AT THIS ECONO LODGE IN CHRISTIANSBURG, VIRGINIA!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank PilotDC3
Reviewed 2 October 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Karen M
Reviewed 20 September 2013

9/17/2013, Very nice econolodge; great guy at check in, room was clean and bed very comfortable; problem with local TV channels so had to watch program I wanted to see on TV in lobby, no problem doing this. Donuts great for breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansburg
Quality Inn Christiansburg
Comfort Inn Blacksburg
Comfort Inn Blacksburg
#8 of 10 in Blacksburg
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Christiansburg/Blacksburg

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!