“OK way to spend too much but still a local favorite”
Review of The Farmhouse

The Farmhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
The Farmhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$8 - US$32
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Farmhouse is proud to return to the New River Valley under new ownership and management. The Farmhouse is a higher-end casual dining restaurant that features Certified Angus Beef steaks and Fresh Premium Seafood. The Farmhouse features several different types of seating: private booths in the restaurant, a full lounge and bar with an extensive selection of beer, wine, and spirits, as well as a brand new courtyard outside. A portion of the courtyard is enclosed and heated during the winter time so drinking and dining is available outdoors year round! Our Banquet Hall and Private spaces are equipped to accommodate anything from small business meetings and family gatherings to full scale wedding receptions, rehearsals, and graduations. Come join us here at The Farmhouse where we are so much more than just a restaurant!
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We've been eating here for 35 years and very little has changed in that time other than the addition of a banquet hall. Way back then this was the premier place to wine and dine someone. But today there are too many other choices offering larger menus at more economical prices.

We arrived on a Saturday football evening without reservations. Even though there was a line of well dressed patrons outside, we were given a table immediately. The other patrons were apparently eating in the banquest hall. The hallways are laberynthin, long, dark and can leave you disoriented. The walls are made of rough "barnboard" and there are plenty of farmhouse items attached to them (pitchforks, guns, field tools, etc.)

The booth was cozy, would have been tight with 4. Not really private - we were able to congratualte a couple sitting behind us on their 55th anniversary which we heard about clearly through the booth partitions. A bare light bulk on the wall, paper placemats which also have the menu. Condiments (butter, dressings) are served from prepacked plastic containers. Most items on the menu range from $25 - $40.

We ordered center cut sirloin steaks. The steaks were tasty (but 3 days later I ordered a similar steak at Ruby Tuesday for 1/3 the price which was much more flavorful, juicy and tender).

Our waitress was a tad timid but very helpful. We never had to wait long to order, to receive our drinks,salads or meal.

Bottom line - The Farmhouse is still considered the special place to go for proms, after football games and special receptions. But it's coasting on its old reputation and needs to be updated to match its competitors. There are much more elegant places to eat in town, and much more economical.

1  Thank Ernie B

Reviewed 14 May 2013

As part of daughters graduation from Radford University we decided to have a nice dinner at the Farmhouse. Previous reviews were up and down however we decided to give it a try. Went on a friday night not very crowded (the weather might have had something to do with it, raining cats and dogs when we arrived.) Greated by the hostess and sat right away - party of nine. Tammy was our server and did a fantastic job all night. The menu has a limited appatizer menu - we got some shrimp cocktail and onion rings - 4 shrimp and about 10 bland onion rings. Skip next time. The main couse menu has beef, chicken and seafood. The dinner party had some of each - the filet mignon whch two of the party order was below average. Overcooked and dry. Not worth the $28.00. The shrimp scampi was good, price was $17. Daughter had the ribs and said they were good. 1/2 rack $17. The fried shrimp - fried and not much flavor. The chicken came with a cream sauce and daughter said it was very good. Price was $16. We decided to share several deserts - all were good and generous portions. Overall the meal was good - we ate in the caboose room - recommend it for parties of 10 or 12. We have had dinner at several places in Christiansburg, the Farmhouse ranks about mid-pack. The service was great, food average. Will choose another place when spending as much as I did.

1  Thank trouble11
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Back in the day The Farmhouse was THE place to go for a nice dinner. We hadn't been in years and my husband decided he wanted to go there for his birthday. When we came in, there was no hostess or anyone anywhere. We stood there for a few minutes until I finally walked down the hall to flag down a waitress. The place still looks just the same as it did in the 70's. Rustic, eclectic, cozy private booths with the same red checkered tablecloths. The atmosphere I did like, but little else. I ordered sweetened ice tea, which here in the south is available in EVERY restaurant. All they had was unsweetened to which I had too add my own sugar from an old fashioned dispenser (which will not disolve in cold tea). There was a huge layer of sugar at the bottom of my glass. The waiter suggested the "word famous" onion rings as an appetizer. We got them and they were jumbo rings covered with a hard, stale, flavorless batter. Yuck. Frozen onion rings I fix at home are better than those things. The house salad was decent...good lettuce and nice homemade dressing. Was very disappointed though that from a supposedly fine dining establishment, we were not offered fresh ground pepper. I ordered crab cakes and my husband ordered new york strip. His steak seemed to be cooked well and was okay. The waiter brought out a couple of rolls with whipped spread which were just eh. Definitely not homemade. My crab cakes were terrible. By terrible I mean they smelled and tasted like something rotten. I've eaten crab cakes everywhere and have never had an inedible crabcake before. I managed to choke one down but only because I did not want my husband to know how disappointed I was with the meal. The baked potatoes were good but super small and we had to struggle to open multiple tiny little foil wrapped pks of butter to put on the potatoes. Overall, the food is overpriced and blah, and the whole dining experience just seemed outdated and tacky or something. So sad because this place used to be great. I recommend everyone eat at a chain restaurant. ANY restaurant really. But avoid The Farmhouse.

2  Thank kitten4762
Reviewed 9 April 2013

The restaurant is in an old farmhouse. My son loved the setting. The food was very good and the service was attentive. I was hesitant to go there but I am glad we did.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

We have been here for for multiple holiday dinners, wedding receptions, business meetings and each time I walk away with the same feeling: This is overrated

There are times where other restaurants in Christiansburg are so crowded and this is a good option that others may overlook but it is overlooked for a reason. I dont think we have had a meal here that we were really impressed by or felt that we could not get anywhere else.