“Wonderful Check In Service”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Christiansburg
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Christiansburg
Severna Park
“Wonderful Check In Service”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This was the most efficient and friendly check in service I've ever received. The front desk staff was very personable and not a hint of pretentiousness. Nice room, well kept hotel, good breakfast. We would definitely come here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
FairfieldInnS, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Christiansburg, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
I am glad our front desk staff made you feel welcome and went beyond your expectations. We hope you visit us again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Christiansburg, Virginia
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stay at this Marriott at least twice a year on our way from Georgia to NJ to visit family. The staff is so very welcoming and we feel like we are at home away from home after a long days drive. The rooms are comfortable and it is conveniently right off the interstate.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for reviewing our hotel! I am so pleased you use our hotel as a stopping point for your travels and look forward to you visiting us again!
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We needed a place to stay close to Virginia Tech and as a Rewards member I always look to Marriott properties first. The Fairfield in Christiansburg is right off the highway and ten minutes from VT, and also close to a few dining options. The staff was very helpful, the room was clean, large and comfortable and there is a nice breakfast in the morning. Perfect place for our short stay - I know I can always count on Marriott for a safe, clean, relaxing environment.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
FairfieldInnS, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Christiansburg, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
I am glad you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at our property and hope you will do so again!
Virginia
Reviewed 10 April 2014

First, the good. The young man who checked me in was super friendly. The room was clean.

The location is not great. We were there for a Virginia Tech visit, in order to get to Blacksburg you had to make a left across four lanes of busy traffic with no light. Maybe it wouldn't have been an issue if it weren't for the road construction though. It was very difficult to get out in the morning.

The room was set up really weird. On the upside it was quite large. I imagine it was supposed to be set up as a suite. The way it was set up made no sense. The beds were not even remotely in the right locations for the outlets. If they had put them on the other side of the room it would have worked. As it was, the outlet for the lamp and the alarm clock was behind one of the beds, the cords had to run between the mattress and box spring. It seemed like a fire hazard to me. So those two outlets are taken up by the lamp and clock, the nearest place to plug in a phone charger or laptop was about six feet away at the other end of the room. The other bed was several feet away from the nearest outlet as well. The beds were so low to the ground I initially thought it was just a box spring and mattress on the floor.

At breakfast the first morning there was nothing to drink unless you wanted coffee. The juice machine appeared to be broken, but they didn't even put out pitchers of ice water. When I asked the grumpy lady who was manning the breakfast area, she snapped at me, telling me that I had walked by a drinking fountain on my way in. The second morning there were at least some bottles of juice you could pour from. The muffins were definitely old, as well as the bagels. My teens said the waffle station was good, the other hot choices were not.
We stayed two nights. When we returned to the hotel the second day our key card didn't work. I went down to the desk and the guy knew immediately what the problem was without my even saying a word. If the door locks reset each day, they should tell me that so I can fix the key on my way up. As I left the lobby someone else came to the desk with the same issue.

Room Tip: If the road construction is still going on, get a room on the back side of the property.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
First I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! I am happy that our front desk staff were friendly and accommodating to you throughout your stay. I am displeased, however, to hear about your issues with breakfast. That is not the image or service we wish to convey to any of our guests while staying here. I hope you will give our hotel another try so we can prove to you that our quality and standards we strive for are the best in the area. If you have any further concerns please feel free to contact me directly (njeri.kershaw@marriott.com). Thank you!

Njeri Kershaw
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Located not far from I-81 it's convenient for travelers. Our room, with two queen beds, was massive. It could have housed three queen beds with no problem so we called for a roll-away and it appeared almost instantly. When we checked in the night desk clerk was very friendly and helpful. After a good night's sleep we went to breakfast. The scrambled eggs were gone and the woman working the dining area wasn't in a hurry to replenish them. Same with the orange juice which was in a pitcher. When I asked for ice water she told me they had a water fountain in the hallway. Seriously. So we had a great staff the night before and one below the line in the morning. Such is life. Clean and roomy.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and I am pleased to hear our front desk staff went above and beyond to make sure you were comfortable. I am displeased to hear that breakfast was not up to our, or Marriott's, standards. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and I hope you will stay with us again so we can show you that this is not the norm of our hotel.
Harrisonburg, Virginia
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed at the Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott in Christiansburg Virginia this past weekend and was surprised...but not in a good way. When I booked the king room in Christiansburg for $129.00 per night I was surprised at the rate but figured, "It's a part of the Marriott family of hotels, it will be really nice." When I walked into my room my first thought was "hmmmm...not your typical Marriott branded hotel room by far." The hotel, though adequate is an older property, and it shows. The room is old, the bathroom fixtures and furnishings are old, the A/C is VERY OLD. At check-in everyone in front of me was asking for extra blankets which struck me as odd. Needless to say I understood when I crawled into my bed. Firstly the bedding is extremely thin, also the A/C is hard to regulate. It is either stuffy or freezing in the room, thus the extra blankets requests...I went to the front desk on day two and got my extra blankets and slept much better on the second night. Also the shower, the control handle and the spray fixture were very loose, so much so that when I changed the temperature or angle of spray I thought they were going to fall off in my hands. The front desk staff are great, very friendly and accommodating. The lobby and breakfast area are nice though I never ate breakfast so I can't comment on that. I don't want to leave the impression that this is a bad hotel, they just need to invest in some modern updates and fix the place up a bit...or charge a bit less as a nightly rate, this one is not up to Marriott's standards.

Room Tip: Third floor is the quietest. Request extra blankets at check in.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
FairfieldInnS, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Christiansburg, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Ranhar2,

First I would like to thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey on our hotel. I am very happy to hear that the staff service was friendly and accomodating to you and your friends during your stay. I am disheartened to hear there were some issues with your room and will be speaking to our maintenance manager and housekeeping manager to ensure your next visit to our hotel will show that the room you received is not the standard or norm of this hotel. I hope if you are travelling through the area you stop by here again to give our hotel another chance, and maybe try our great breakfast! If you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me (njeri.kershaw@marriott.com). Thank you!

Njeri
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed at this property just last week. Clean hotel, helpful front desk staff. The breakfast was pretty standard fare, but I've had much worse. The biggest challenge was the bedding. The mattress in my room was about as squishy as they come. Guessing this hotel is on the list to get new mattresses...or at least I hope so. Also - surprised to see that they had done some repair work around the back of the toilet and under a shelf that extends over from the sink area. Well, they left the fiber board exposed. Nothing structural, but oh how unattractive. Think maintenance just forgot to follow up and put a cover over that part of the wall. Finally, good thing I was only interested in watching NCAA basketball on a network channel since most of the cable channels were anything but clear.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
FairfieldInnS, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Christiansburg, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad the staff was helpful and accomodating during your stay. I was distressed to learn about the repair work behind the toilet, and will look into that further. We strive to give every guest a clean, comfortable room for relaxing or any needs you may have and apologize for not meeting that. I hope you come stay with us again so we can show you how much we can shine! If there is any further assistance you need please do not hesitate to contact me directly (njeri.kershaw@marriott.com). Thank you.

Njeri Kershaw